Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
2 volts peak to peak ain't even close Mark. You need 1.75 rms at the inputs to get max out.
Regardless, the volume control on the pre was at a position that blasts the 400, what I got from the 700 was just a “pleasant listening” volume.

MarkWComer

Tagline
And you hooked up the DC/Normal switch??? Hmmmm, I get rid of all unessential if possible. It's Captain Dunsel now.
Supposedly the DC position was to be used in PA applications. I left it in because it was an original feature, as is the AC outlet. Neither is necessary, I don’t like empty holes in a cabinet. Fully functional, whether the function is moot or not.

mlucitt

Mark, I am too lazy to search back through all the posts...
Do you have that P/N for the AC outlet handy? I need to order two or three of them.

Thanks,
The Other Mark

MarkWComer

Tagline

MarkWComer

Tagline
Part 14.1 uploaded for installation of the Cylons, part 15 editing today. 14.2 will be display calibration, but I get my ass kicked on this. I just don’t get sufficiant volume from this amp, the 400 rattles windows, but the 700 only gives me pleasant volume. I went part by part on the driver circuit all everythng czechs out, backplanes too.

This is probably why I can’t get the 53v required for meter calibration.

I suspect the problem lies in my input jacks. The factory build has a resistor across the signal input and signal ground- I think this is what’s killing my power. The 400 has no such resistor at those jacks. Does anyone else have resistors on their inputs? Will snip those off and retry, I really don’t see why they need to be there anyway.

Forgot to mention- Part 16 will be about all the stuff I did wrong. Shopping around for some visual props now (I can’t seem to find a plastic cheeseburger anywhere..).

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Great video Mark, glad your back up and working. We appreciate what your doing and the time invested.

MarkWComer

Tagline
A video about driving screws into the cabinet. Only one trick, though- the WOA chassis has a small size discrepancy, so I centered the front sub panel with nylon washers in order to keep the switches in the proper place for the front face.

George S.

Love your videos Mark. I watched them all before I started my builds last year. Even ordered that PCB holder you recommended, worked great. Going to try to get my meters installed this weekend, very helpful video, thanks for your outstanding efforts. You do make a difference in this screwed up world. Thanks man!!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
A video about driving screws into the cabinet. Only one trick, though- the WOA chassis has a small size discrepancy, so I centered the front sub panel with nylon washers in order to keep the switches in the proper place for the front face.
Hey Mark
The special hardware kit provided with the chassis has the proper thickness nylon washers provided in it to center the S2 sub panel. The chassis is intentionally larger than the original in L x W x D to provide more space for proper alignment and spacing of components.