Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
You from the east coast?? Seems to me sealed speakers were popular on the east coast while ported speakers were more popular on the west coast. you hear the expressions " the east coast sound" and "the west coast sound" I am from the east coast and loved EPI's but then heard ported and just like the bass they put out......
Nope, So Cal born and raised but I grew up on non-ported speakers, that must be the reason?

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Interesting that the preamplifier "sees" the 100K sensitivity control impedance, the 220K resistor across the input jack is also "seen" by the preamp, and additionally the Control Board has a 39K resistor in parallel to the input that would be "seen" by the preamp. This adds up to just slightly under 25K for input impedance. (1/39K + 1/100K + 1/220K = 1/Rt) or (.00025641 + .00001 + .000004545 = 1/.000040186 or 24,884)
Yet, the input impedance is listed as 33K Ohms minimum in the PL700 II Service Manual.
By leaving out the 220K resistor across the input jack, the input impedance goes to (1/39K + 1/100K = Rt) or (.000025641 + .00001 = 1/.000030186 or 33,127 Ohms, or close to 33K Ohms.
Thoughts?

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Interesting that the preamplifier "sees" the 100K sensitivity control impedance, the 220K resistor across the input jack is also "seen" by the preamp, and additionally the Control Board has a 39K resistor in parallel to the input that would be "seen" by the preamp. This adds up to just slightly under 25K for input impedance. (1/39K + 1/100K + 1/220K = 1/Rt) or (.00025641 + .00001 + .000004545 = 1/.000040186 or 24,884)
Yet, the input impedance is listed as 33K Ohms minimum in the PL700 II Service Manual.
By leaving out the 220K resistor across the input jack, the input impedance goes to (1/39K + 1/100K = Rt) or (.000025641 + .00001 = 1/.000030186 or 33,127 Ohms, or close to 33K Ohms.
Thoughts?
I won't argue your calculations, but I see this resistor in several places of the original service manual as well as the documents from WOA. Looking at the SM, "33 k ohms minimum," so yes, it is out of line with that spec.

I don't see anything comparable in the schematics of the original driver circuit to that 39k resistor (whomever scans these manuals does NOT know how to use a scanner...).

:p If I have to re- edit this video, I'm gonna squirt chocolate syrup on yer french fries!!! :p

Is this the first that anyone has noticed this?

MarkWComer

Tagline
TWO QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CYLON CIRCUITS:

Pin5 = Analog ground. The Existing BLACK wire that originates from the amplifier chassis...
I think the instructions assume I'm replacing original cylons, not doing a complete rebuild. I have no black wire, I assume this instead is a wire coming from the neutral bus between the power caps.

Pin9 = B- Fused... Run 2 NEW purple wires from the shell (not the tip)...
Uhm... A typo? My route is this: from the B- PS cap to a common connection at the shell because at this point the tips bifurcate to L&R backplanes. If I connect to the shell, I'm B- UNfused. So, either way, is this a typo? Pin9 to unfused, or is shell/tip transposed in the document?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Thoughts?
The 220K ohm resistor accross the inputs are only "seen" when there is no input.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Pin5 = Analog ground. The Existing BLACK wire that originates from the amplifier chassis...
I think the instructions assume I'm replacing original cylons, not doing a complete rebuild. I have no black wire, I assume this instead is a wire coming from the neutral bus between the power caps.

Pin9 = B- Fused... Run 2 NEW purple wires from the shell (not the tip)...
Uhm... A typo? My route is this: from the B- PS cap to a common connection at the shell because at this point the tips bifurcate to L&R backplanes. If I connect to the shell, I'm B- UNfused. So, either way, is this a typo? Pin9 to unfused, or is shell/tip transposed in the document?
Hi Mark
Raw unfused power should always go to the TIP (or end) of a fuseholder for safety reasons. That way the shell band of the fuseholder becomes dead when you remove a fuse from the holder. Remove a fuse from its holder and you can see that you can easily touch the shell band that is fully exposed. You do not want that to have a live voltage on it with fuse out. Thus the shell is the fused side of a power source and the tip is the unfused side of a power source. That is the convention that should be adhered to. PL did adhere to that in the PL400 fuse connections BUT violated that for the PL700s for wiring convenience purposes (they bent the two adjacent fuseholder shells over and connected one feed wire from the bulk caps through the joined shell connections). The instructions were written for the PL400. If you are putting into a PL700 then connect to the fused side. I will amend the instructions sometime in the future to cover both cases. You know by now that Phase Linear and consistency is an oxymoron.

mlucitt

Mark, my Rev C Cylon instructions say the same thing. I believe the black wire on the original LED board comes from the terminal strip located between the left channel output transistor stacks and that's where the original PL chassis ground comes from. Joe has advocated the STAR ground, so this wire should now come from the neutral bus and go to Pin 5 of the RIGHT Cylon board only. Your assumption is correct, sir!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Hi Mark
Raw unfused power should always go to the TIP (or end) of a fuseholder for safety reasons. That way the shell band of the fuseholder becomes dead when you remove a fuse from the holder. Remove a fuse from its holder and you can see that you can easily touch the shell band that is fully exposed. You do not want that to have a live voltage on it with fuse out. Thus the shell is the fused side of a power source and the tip is the unfused side of a power source. That is the convention that should be adhered to. PL did adhere to that in the PL400 fuse connections BUT violated that for the PL700s for wiring convenience purposes (they bent the two adjacent fuseholder shells over and connected one feed wire from the bulk caps through the joined shell connections). The instructions were written for the PL400. If you are putting into a PL700 then connect to the fused side. I will amend the instructions sometime in the future to cover both cases. You know by now that Phase Linear and consistency is an oxymoron.
BOOM!
This means that ALL of my fuse holders are wired in reverse...
And... I wired the shells according to the way I saw them in the original cabinet- connected them together. It seemed logical since I had only one wire coming from the PS cap.

WOPL 2.16: Things I Did Wrong!

mlucitt

BOOM!
This means that ALL of my fuse holders are wired in reverse...
And... I wired the shells according to the way I saw them in the original cabinet- connected them together. It seemed logical since I had only one wire coming from the PS cap.

WOPL 2.16: Things I Did Wrong!
Mark, you didn't do it wrong, PL did. Their engineers knew how to wire the Line and Load wires to a BUSS fuseholder, but the bean counters wanted to save $.03 on two feet of wire, so they bent the shell connections together and put 100VDC on them. Joe and I had this conversation awhile back. I turned my new fuseholders to a 45 degree orientation (easy to do in the new WOA chassis because the hole is round, not "D" shaped) and ran separate wires from the bulk caps to each fuseholder.
The amp will sound the same of course, you just need to be careful if you have to change a fuse with the Power turned ON. Wait, why would you do that? With the Power switch OFF, there will be no power at the fuse holder after about 2 hrs while the bulk caps dissipate their stored voltage. Are we having fun yet?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Mark, you didn't do it wrong, PL did. Their engineers knew how to wire the Line and Load wires to a BUSS fuseholder, but the bean counters wanted to save $.03 on two feet of wire, so they bent the shell connections together and put 100VDC on them. Joe and I had this conversation awhile back. I turned my new fuseholders to a 45 degree orientation (easy to do in the new WOA chassis because the hole is round, not "D" shaped) and ran separate wires from the bulk caps to each fuseholder.
The amp will sound the same of course, you just need to be careful if you have to change a fuse with the Power turned ON. Wait, why would you do that? With the Power switch OFF, there will be no power at the fuse holder after about 2 hrs while the bulk caps dissipate their stored voltage. Are we having fun yet?

Impossible. The White Oak Chassis has the Fuse Holder Holes the same as the original..... "D" shaped.

pl700B.jpg