Mark goes at it again... just bought a PL700/II!

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Great video Mark. Your description of the power switch loop/thermoswitch black AC wire got me to thinking. I might run the fan AC jack black wire to the closest thermoswitch "hot" terminal rather than back to the transformer terminal strip. That way, if the amp overheats and shuts down due to a thermoswitch opening, the fan AC jack still has power, so the fan stays on to help cool the amp. Plus, it's a shorter run for that black AC wire.

Thoughts?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Great video Mark. Your description of the power switch loop/thermoswitch black AC wire got me to thinking. I might run the fan AC jack black wire to the closest thermoswitch "hot" terminal rather than back to the transformer terminal strip. That way, if the amp overheats and shuts down due to a thermoswitch opening, the fan AC jack still has power, so the fan stays on to help cool the amp. Plus, it's a shorter run for that black AC wire.

Thoughts?
The fan outlet would be unswitched. If you want to do that, just leapfrog directly from AC input as I did with the neutral wire. The original wiring had the fan outlet switched and I wanted to keep it that way, but nothing says you can’t leave it live. Some have even omitted that outlet altogether.

My big issue is that I wanted the thermal cutoffs after the switch, not between them (also according to the original wiring).