Looking to upgrade to horns

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Ray,
I got most of my Altec stuff from a old theater that closed down years ago. I don't use the 811 horn with what I have set now. I'm using the larger 511 horn.
So I may have a pair of 811's in my stash. I'll check when it warms up a bit.
jM

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
C
Ray,
I got most of my Altec stuff from a old theater that closed down years ago. I don't use the 811 horn with what I have set now. I'm using the larger 511 horn.
So I may have a pair of 811's in my stash. I'll check when it warms up a bit.
jM
Cool let me know, and thanks for your input in what you have found that works and what don't it helps give me a direction on what to look for and what to pass over. Like I said it appears there are a bunch of these around and many just collecting dust and cob webs, if I can get my hands on a pair I will blow the dust and cob webs off and get them back to do what they are supposed to do

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Yep .
Seeburg used Altec's 811 horn (painted them gold) and 806A Driver. I believe the Woofers were Jensen.
Heathkit also rebranded Altec horns, drivers, and woofers in there high end speaker cabinets

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep .
Seeburg used Altec's 811 horn (painted them gold) and 806A Driver. I believe the Woofers were Jensen.
Heatkit also rebranded Altec horns, drivers, and woofers in there high end speaker cabinets
There's a tidbit I didn't know...besides most of the Altec horn numbers and stuff, great info Mike!!

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Thanks Lee.
Lee remember the old Jubilee that was at one time said to become the Klipschhorn II . But was the moved into Klipsch's commercial line ?
I'm sure you have checked whats up in that division these days.
Here is a link : https://www.klipsch.com/pro/cinema/behind-the-screen

Looks like my stuff, big gray boxes with horns on top.
The WAF factor might be a problem for some. I'm a lucky guy, my wife loves the sound.

Interesting info on Klipsch's DSP system control also.
I'm not a fan of passive crossovers as you know and use an analog Pioneer SF-850 Active crossover , but this new digital DSP control
is very interesting. I've been reading up on using the DBX DriveRack PA2 for speaker management .
There is an article on the Great Plains Audio site how it was used on an Altec Model 14 . Its in there somewhere.

Ray,
You might find some of this interesting as well on the Klipsch pages . Looks like good DIY. Stack it up high with horns. lol
later guys,
jM

Attachments

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
JustMike looks like a big screen tv lol Looks like Lee needs to upgrade to some of those fully loaded 4 way horn grand auditorium systems... :)

jvandyke_texas

New Around These Parts
Speakerlab was a Seattle company. Ks will be on the west coast. I have a pair I bought when I was 19. Mine have the HD350B and HT3500 drivers and horns. I have the 8 ohm 15" woofers. Later versions swapped in low quality mids and highs. You might consider buying a very ugly pair from Seattle and shipping only the speakers and crossovers. It probably won't cost that much. It is a lot of work to build folded cabinets.

They do have a full sound. Do very well on orchestra and rock. They are not the speakers you want for a punchy nightclub live jazz band reproduction.
They are also very efficient. Does not take much power to get a lot of sound. The folded cabinets use the room's corner walls as the throat of the bass horn.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Speakerlab was a Seattle company. Ks will be on the west coast. I have a pair I bought when I was 19. Mine have the HD350B and HT3500 drivers and horns. I have the 8 ohm 15" woofers. Later versions swapped in low quality mids and highs. You might consider buying a very ugly pair from Seattle and shipping only the speakers and crossovers. It probably won't cost that much. It is a lot of work to build folded cabinets.

They do have a full sound. Do very well on orchestra and rock. They are not the speakers you want for a punchy nightclub live jazz band reproduction.
They are also very efficient. Does not take much power to get a lot of sound. The folded cabinets use the room's corner walls as the throat of the bass horn.

Built my K's in 1984....drivers were garbage so was the crossover, took me 25 years to make enough money to upgrade......but man was it worth it...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
B & C DCM 50's for another

For the tweets Crites CT 125's or B & C DE-10's....

I bought some Martelli "Tractix" wood horns for the BMS and B & C 2" compression drivers.

Of course if a guy had 15, 000.00 to throw around you could always get some TAD woofs, mids and tweets...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
1500 for a pair of DCM 50's , about the same for theBMS, then about 300 for a set of wood horns, then about 200 for a pair of CT 125 tweets.
300 for a pair if Crites woofs...