Looking to upgrade to horns

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
If I want to just run a cap to the horns with no cross over does anyone have the formula to figure what the capacitance should be??
What is the impedance of the driver and what crossover frequency do you desire?

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I subscribed to ' Speaker Builder' magazine for years. Each issue chock full of plans & crossover design info.
I sure do miss the days of print magazines & catalogs.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
What is the impedance of the driver and what crossover frequency do you desire?
Not sure where I am going with this Lee I have not even put a bid on those altec horns yet...... thing is I don't even know what the frequency is of the speakers I have now 1995 was a long time ago and just don't remember the specs it was all bought at parts express abck them and what I have is discontinued... will have to pull them apart to get model numbers and see if data is out there on them... pretty sure I wil stay at 8ohm, do these wopls do well at 4ohm?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
That was Joe....

WOPLs do just fine at 4 ohms...keep em cool...
LoL you all look the same from here.... Yea Joe not sure what frequency yet... I spent near a month reading here before I jumped on the WOPL train so just researching now looking at options and input from this community.... but I got to do this on a poor mans budget hoping to get upgraded from the bullet tweeter I am running now my ears are getting old and the highs are starting to get missed so need a bit more umph on the high freqs... But this 811 would look cool in my cabs and they will just fit nicely

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Bud, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but unless you stumble on a helluva a deal it can get expensive. Sometimes a fella gets lucky , i have at times, so it can be done, good luck bud....

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Selenium D220Ti and JBL Waveguides. Parts Express waveguide part number -338800-001. Could this help ? I have heard folk rant and rave so much about econowaves I almost built some myself. Instead I just bought these JBL screen drivers and let them sit there doing nothing. They sound pretty damn good with my 35 WPC Dynaco though I can tell you that.

econschem.jpg 20181020_223558.jpg 20181020_223626.jpg 20181020_223633.jpg

Attachments

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Hey Roccus ,
Lee is spot on. Horn systems are expensive and if the wrong components are not selected to work together, it can drive ya nuts.
I running a pair of Altec Votts as we speak. They sound awesome, but it has taken me many different Altec pieces to get them to sound
right in my room. Altec manufactured thousands of different components for theater use to home systems to baseball parks, etc. ect.
As an example, you could find a pair of A7-500 Votts like the ones in the second photo you posted. But if they don't have the correct
drivers in them for home use ( most will me PA or theater units) they will sound tinny and that 400 PL amp will smoke them.
Just like Lee has had to do to his K-horns, I have done big changes to my Altecs.
The Altec 811 horn you are considering was designed to play at 800hz and above. That is your minimum crossover point.
So now you need a driver for that horn. The one that is highly recommended is the 802-8G driver. These will set you back around
$400.00 each ! Woofers to match these horns run around $450.00 each. And you still need crossovers and cabinets.
If this is the way you want to go, it will be worth it. The sound is just amazing with Altec's . That second picture is the Model 19,
considered by many as the best home speaker every made. Unless your a K-Horn fan. That debate will never end.
If ya got questions shoot, I'll help if I can.
In the meantime, check out GREAT PLAINS AUDIO.
Cheers
jM

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Bud, I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but unless you stumble on a helluva a deal it can get expensive. Sometimes a fella gets lucky , i have at times, so it can be done, good luck bud....
I know Lee but I need a new project, I am not in a big hurry the soonest I would be able to actually do anything like modifying the cabs to fit the horns in probable wont be till June mean while I keep a watch out for deals on drivers as I save my bucks up and just see what comes up for choices

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Selenium D220Ti and JBL Waveguides. Parts Express waveguide part number -338800-001. Could this help ? I have heard folk rant and rave so much about econowaves I almost built some myself. Instead I just bought these JBL screen drivers and let them sit there doing nothing. They sound pretty damn good with my 35 WPC Dynaco though I can tell you that.
Thanks for this info I am very open minded llok like good prices and people seem pleased with them but I will need to consider the power output of the 400.... I love your speakers open horns out of the cabs is just plain cool... may not mount mine in the cabs but mount them on top of the caps like that

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Hey Roccus ,
Lee is spot on. Horn systems are expensive and if the wrong components are not selected to work together, it can drive ya nuts.
I running a pair of Altec Votts as we speak. They sound awesome, but it has taken me many different Altec pieces to get them to sound
right in my room. Altec manufactured thousands of different components for theater use to home systems to baseball parks, etc. ect.
As an example, you could find a pair of A7-500 Votts like the ones in the second photo you posted. But if they don't have the correct
drivers in them for home use ( most will me PA or theater units) they will sound tinny and that 400 PL amp will smoke them.
Just like Lee has had to do to his K-horns, I have done big changes to my Altecs.
The Altec 811 horn you are considering was designed to play at 800hz and above. That is your minimum crossover point.
So now you need a driver for that horn. The one that is highly recommended is the 802-8G driver. These will set you back around
$400.00 each ! Woofers to match these horns run around $450.00 each. And you still need crossovers and cabinets.
If this is the way you want to go, it will be worth it. The sound is just amazing with Altec's . That second picture is the Model 19,
considered by many as the best home speaker every made. Unless your a K-Horn fan. That debate will never end.
If ya got questions shoot, I'll help if I can.
In the meantime, check out GREAT PLAINS AUDIO.
Cheers
jM
Thanks for info, I have seen Great Plains they got everything for the Altecs.... I have never actually heard Votts but I can imagine if set up right they are incredible I have heard the 19's, a friend of mine down in NH bought a pair from a neighbor of his who was moving and had no place to put the 19's so they sold them to my friend for $500 and they are mint... I had just bought a Caver TFM 55 when he got the speakers he asked me to bring my amp over to try on them and loved them, he ended up buying a TFM 55 as well to power them.....I tried to buy them from him for years be he wont let them go

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Thanks for this info I am very open minded llok like good prices and people seem pleased with them but I will need to consider the power output of the 400.... I love your speakers open horns out of the cabs is just plain cool... may not mount mine in the cabs but mount them on top of the caps like that
Why not right ? Will say one thing for not mounting them in the cab right away. If I simply disconnect the tweeter in the cab then experiment outside the cab with horns and x overs I can always go back !

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Well I got outbid on those horns.... I will keep looking around, maybe post wanted on some of the other audio forums. Seems like there are a lot of these around maybe someone has a pair they are not going to use and will let go for a decent price...
JustMike Looks like the 802-8Ds are close to the G's, no?

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Hi Ray,
This is what is so confusing about Altec drivers. So many different numbers. the 802-8d is a Pa driver .
The 802-8G is the driver that is used in the Model 19. Has the special phase plug and diaphragm for higher power and Alnico magnet structure.
Ray keep your eyes peeled for 902-8b drivers. These were the later models but other than ceramic mags have the same phase plug and
diaphragm as the 802-8g. but go for a lot less money and sound real close.
Ray what did the horns sell for ?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Hi Ray,
This is what is so confusing about Altec drivers. So many different numbers. the 802-8d is a Pa driver .
The 802-8G is the driver that is used in the Model 19. Has the special phase plug and diaphragm for higher power and Alnico magnet structure.
Ray keep your eyes peeled for 902-8b drivers. These were the later models but other than ceramic mags have the same phase plug and
diaphragm as the 802-8g. but go for a lot less money and sound real close.
Ray what did the horns sell for ?
Got it, I think I read somewhere that some of them could be converted to what was used in the 19's? .... they went for $168 plus shipping which is probably a good price I pushed them to $165 but I will wait and see

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
You can come close on a few. But on the 800 series only the 8g and 16g have the tangerine phase plug. the rest are aluminum. There is a
bunch of info about these on many of the Altec sites.
There are two sizes of rare earth (Alnico mags) mags used in the 800 series drivers. 802's and the 808's are the larger ones. So if you put a
Diaphragm that is used in 802-8g's into an 808 it would sound close but would have the aluminum phase plug. My old ears really can't tell
any difference in phase plugs but the diaphragm make a huge difference. Great Plains has brand new Altec Diaphragms. I have tried copies
and they sound like crap.