pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Too bad they don't publish a few specs.....
Just going on 'hearsay', a mate of mine is right into DIY etc, and the pre-amp I'm currently using is one that he's built, which sounds really smooth and detailed to my waxed up ears, and on a scale of 1 to 10, he puts it at only a 4, [???] but after building one of these [Matisse] from scratch with quality parts, he gives it a 7.5.
He has an assortment of High End bits that he finds and fixes, so he sort of knows his stuff.
It's cheap enough and if it doesn't work out, I'll use it for a guitar pre-amp..... LoL
:happy3:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Very cool Jer! It's a beautiful piece, my partner approves of the look, that Yammie CX-600U you fixed won't win any beauty prizes :la:,I'm still obsessed with that variable loudness control. With the new Martin Logans on their way I'm going to have to experiment some. The SAE 2400 Lee is doing for me will have a say on the mix as well!! I do have a Q for you, I don't know much about capitence or what ever you call it in pre-amps. I'll be running the amp close to the speakers, and have a 20'+ run of cable from the pre and sources to the amp. I know some gear like Jeff Rowland pres don't like long runs of cable to the amp. I'd think the 'Sui would be fine but, just asking.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Very cool Jer! It's a beautiful piece, my partner approves of the look, that Yammie CX-600U you fixed won't win any beauty prizes :la:,I'm still obsessed with that variable loudness control. With the new Martin Logans on their way I'm going to have to experiment some. The SAE 2400 Lee is doing for me will have a say on the mix as well!! I do have a Q for you, I don't know much about capitence or what ever you call it in pre-amps. I'll be running the amp close to the speakers, and have a 20'+ run of cable from the pre and sources to the amp. I know some gear like Jeff Rowland pres don't like long runs of cable to the amp. I'd think the 'Sui would be fine but, just asking.
I'm pretty sure it'll work as well as any with that kinda length. Provided the IC quality is decent, o'course.

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Nice looking gear, I'll give it that.

I like simplicity in a preamp though. The more filters, processors, controls and other things you run it through the more chance you have of messing it up. I actually just bought two preamps, and both are more complicated than normal for me. One is a Knight with tone controls, and the other is a Pilot pre/tuner. I just hope the tone stacks don't screw it up. I can and will bypass them if I have to though.

stuwee

Yep, Jer, we gotta break the WOPL rut man. I'm gonna thread the SAE 2400, otherwise folks are gonna think WOPLing is all we do here!!
Well pull my hair and slap me silly....A most wonderful idea :blob8:, I'm sooo looking forward to the 2400 powering the Summit's panels, and lets talk about the SAE pre coming from Doug. I'd love to have that anchor the system. As a man who thinks the late James Bongiorno was all 'THAT'!!! Lee, your buddy Stephan whom I met in Phx the other week...Knew him...and loved him!!! Seals the deal, I must have a vintage SAE front end. This don't mean I can't hide another preamp/amp or two...there is a nice garage in the back. I love playing with gear sonics!!

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Well pull my hair and slap me silly....A most wonderful idea :blob8:, I'm sooo looking forward to the 2400 powering the Summit's panels, and lets talk about the SAE pre coming from Doug. I'd love to have that anchor the system. As a man who thinks the late James Bongiorno was all 'THAT'!!! Lee, your buddy Stephan whom I met in Phx the other week...Knew him...and loved him!!! Seals the deal, I must have a vintage SAE front end. This don't mean I can't hide another preamp/amp or two...there is a nice garage in the back. I love playing with gear sonics!!
He was the man, and stylish too.

Bongo.jpg
bongiorno.jpg

Jim

stuwee

I've been lookin' things up, will the SAE 2400 accept spades on the speaker outputs? Or is it just bare wire?

I've been offered 3 sets of cables to try out and really need to know, thanks buddy!

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
I've been lookin' things up, will the SAE 2400 accept spades on the speaker outputs? Or is it just bare wire?

I've been offered 3 sets of cables to try out and really need to know, thanks buddy!
SAE's take bananas, bare wire or spades.

sae2400l-4.jpg

Jim