Lets talk Pre-amps

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
The sonic signature? or is it?

I'm in the market so this is a loaded question, I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the ML's, they have a 200Wpc amp for the dual woofers, the panels...'Slabs' need the juice.

In my past life, I ran my old Sequels with a Marantz 2270 receiver as a pre/amp, love, love, loved that 3 martini sound with the 'stat's!! creamy, silky, smoooth....witha side of jam....think Macy Gray 'I Try' with her front and center!! :la:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marantz-227...061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f45a836d . This is up for grabs, gone over from the original owner...however, many of the Marantz Mafia claim the 2230 was Saul Marantz's glory design, best phono/pre, best ever-y-thing but power output. Can be had for a few bucks cheaper.

I've been using my trusty SAE P102 pre (dual outputs). And the lightweight Yamaha CX-600U that has a variable loudness control that I'm obsessed with! :angryfire: why hasen't anyone else designed this as smoothly as Yamaha has.

The Yamaha CX-600U has some major issues, IE; jacks that don't work when I want them to. I'll take all info into consideration, love ya guys!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The 2400 is still here. It hasn't gone anywhere. I need to get the right channel running then you can have it. If the 2400 ain't enough, maybe it's time to audition a WOPL 1000......btw.....they make a little juice too.....

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Although I prefer to use dedicated pre-amps, I've had good luck using the pre outs on receivers, if that's your question. I don't have any expiereince with that Marantz but generally, I do like their sound.

I currently run my pair of ML Sequels through a Balanced Audio Technology VK-5i or McIntosh C-33 pre-amp. Both sound very good! However, I've used the pre outs on my Hitachi HA-100 integrated amp and had similar results.

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Craig, you know I am a big fan of James', watch for an inexpensive SAE 2900 Parametric Pre or more expensive is a Thoebe or Thaedra (GAS)(very pricey), my Thoebe is the best Pre I have ran counting the Sansui CA3000, I still use the 2900 in a system and have been since around 77, slides get dirty but are easy to clean.

Jim

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
Craig, you know I am a big fan of James', watch for an inexpensive SAE 2900 Parametric Pre or more expensive is a Thoebe or Thaedra (GAS)(very pricey), my Thoebe is the best Pre I have ran counting the Sansui CA3000, I still use the 2900 in a system and have been since around 77, slides get dirty but are easy to clean. Jim

Thaedra-Thoebe.jpg

Thaedra nudie.jpg

The Thoebe is for sale. I think it's dead on one side. Cosmetics are OK. Usual corrosion on back input panel. Has a GasWorks sticker on it. A couple of input jacks are gold plated. Other than that I have no idea what was done to it. I'm into it for $170.

Last edited:

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have a simple tube preamp that lives in a Dyna PAS2 case. Almost nobody actually has a Dynaco preamp anymore, but lots of those boxes exist. This one is a simple 12AU7 gain stage per channel with the other half of each tube working as a cathode follower. Very simple, doesn't color the sound, no tone controls, it just works. It will drive just about anything. It easily feeds the 39k input of my Phase Linear, and its also perfectly happy driving a 470k input of your average tube amp. I'm not one for complex preamps. I don't use tone controls, and the more processing you do to a signal, the worse it gets IMO.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Craig, I've had the Marantz 2230 as well as a Yamaha C-60. The 2230 did "ok" for me while the Yamaha was a little dark and moody..

I'm hooked now on my Sansui AU-517. Got it for a decent price. The 517's preamp section is pretty much the same as the 717's, although if you're looking to use MC's for your cartridges, that is going to be a deal breaker. It does have 2 phono inputs tho.

I found it to be much clearer and less noisy than the Marantz, but still with that nice warm sound. Construction is like you'd expect it to be.. very "beasty" with dual power supplies, the nine yards. Pair it up with a good amp and it'll make the ML's give ya nostalgia goosebumps...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have an extra AU 717 floating around here somewhere. It is in nice shape, but the electronics are 35 years old. :toothy5:

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Flip a switch in the back separates amp n pre.. Thinkin if Stu likes the Marantz sound, this is pretty close ymmv..

I'll clean that 717 up for Stu if ya are interested webby.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
It works, but of course after this many years it would be wise to go through it. I would sell it for a decent/fair price.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Craig, I've had the Marantz 2230 as well as a Yamaha C-60. The 2230 did "ok" for me while the Yamaha was a little dark and moody..

I'm hooked now on my Sansui AU-517. Got it for a decent price. The 517's preamp section is pretty much the same as the 717's, although if you're looking to use MC's for your cartridges, that is going to be a deal breaker. It does have 2 phono inputs tho.

I found it to be much clearer and less noisy than the Marantz, but still with that nice warm sound. Construction is like you'd expect it to be.. very "beasty" with dual power supplies, the nine yards. Pair it up with a good amp and it'll make the ML's give ya nostalgia goosebumps...
Hi Jer, no MC cart's in my future. I think you understand my ear, we have similar tastes in music and gear!

I'm obviously need to shit or get off the pot!! :pottytrain5:, it's all kinda fun tho, haven't been this excited about stuff in many, many years!! I just got an amazing offer for some vintage Martin Logans from Sutton :occasion5: bro!!

Now to convince John that all this gear needs to me in the Living Room!! :violent1: