Larry's Phase Linear 700B

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
wattsabundant said:
laatsch55 said:
Yours tested over 500, 525 if i remember correctly, better than mine did.
A slight drop in line voltage will directly affect output power. at these power levels it would be expected to see the line drop a few volts under load. Compensatee with a variac.

As for teflon wire, I worked at a transformer shop many years ago. We stripped teflon with a red hot heating element. Standard strippers don't work because they can't grip tthe slippery teflon. Note that the conductors are silver planted.

Any wire used for the connections to the driver board should be stranded for flexibility.

Thanks Don. Stranded, silver plated , and teflon insul;ated wire sounds like just the thing for the driver board.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
What all do I need to send. The heat shrink tubing, More wire? The other 2 Black Gates. The RCAs. Are you going to move the IEC? Are you going to grd it like Joe said? So the grd on the IEC can be used?

Some other things will come to me. Right now. I'm starting to get over the weather. LOL I don't think I will need the fans. What else were you wanting to do?

Larry

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
If I ground it like Joe said, the IEC WILL NOT BE GROUNDED. The old PL can not be grounded through the power plug. Just Joe's board.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I think the IEC jack needs to be grounded in order to work properly. If you ground the chassis or not, it is up to you. I think the reason that PL did not ground their gear was the poor state of house wiring back in the day. If your house wiring is good, your grounding is good, and your cord is good; there is little to worry about. The AC wiring in the PL only goes to the fuse, the switch, the accessory jack, thermal cutouts, and the tranny primary. If that wiring is secure and well-insulated, there is no reason not to use a 3-wire cord.

What was Joe's comment about grounding the board and not the chassis? I'm not pushing back, just looking for an explanation.

mlucitt

I went from this:
[attachment=2:2rrub2o7]Parts Day.JPG[/attachment:2rrub2o7]
To this:
[attachment=0:2rrub2o7]PL700 Main Board Parts.jpg[/attachment:2rrub2o7]
This is the PL700 Bench now:
[attachment=1:2rrub2o7]PL700 Bench.jpg[/attachment:2rrub2o7]

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Ground looping Mark, that is the reason I mentioned in the earlier post. The secondary DC ground in the Phase Linear is attached to the chassis by design. You can tie the safety ground of the IEC inlet to the chassis but it ends up with ground loops and hum in most installations.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Good lookin station Mark./ Let me know how many 2n1304's, 05's and 2n3403's ya need, we have over 400 pairs of 04,05's now.

mlucitt

Lee, check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320794420074?ss ... 1438.l2649
It made me think of you right away.

How much $ for 50 pairs of the germanium three-legged monsters?

I have 1 pair of 2N3403 (R+L), so another dozen would not hurt.

How many TIS93's do you have, Mouser is sending the 2N5087 as a sub, but I like the TIS better.

Also, if you have 20 of the MPS-A93's and 10 of the 40412V1 on those square heatsinks I'll take them.

Let me know the damage for all of it and I'll send you some PayPal.

Thanks,
Mark

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Mark, the stock transformer is still in that 400, so a doubling of the POWER is dubious. A doubling of thew CURRENT carrying capability is not out of the realm of possibility. I would love to have that amp to see how it was done.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
mlucitt said:
Lee, check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320794420074?ss ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It made me think of you right away.

How much $ for 50 pairs of the germanium three-legged monsters?

I have 1 pair of 2N3403 (R+L), so another dozen would not hurt.

How many TIS93's do you have, Mouser is sending the 2N5087 as a sub, but I like the TIS better.

Also, if you have 20 of the MPS-A93's and 10 of the 40412V1 on those square heatsinks I'll take them.

Let me know the damage for all of it and I'll send you some PayPal.

Thanks,
Mark

The 2N3439 with a big heatsink is better than the 40412V. Besides , I sent all the 40412V's to Ed 10 days ago.
I have 200-300 of the 93's so we're good there, got ya covered on the 3403's , and got ya covered on the 1304, 05's. Pm me for the start of the negotiation process.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
All depends on rail voltage, i think yours was a "HoT" also IIRC. Why? Gettin greedy?? We can build something with much more----------we have the technology.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
In your opinion without the upgrade I'm pushing 525 wpc and with the BGs. Man this amp has come onto its own. It is crisp and clear. You know I don't push my amps often. I like the power because in my journeys I have found that having the power also helps the low end for clarity and crispness. I'm almost deaf as it is. LOL I just like the detail this amp has. I mean it has detail. I can send it to you and you tell me what you think. If you want and you can put the meter in and the last 2 BGs and the upgraded blue leds. You know they make rope LEDs now of different lengths. Would that work better than single LEDS?

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ok where do i start, you do not want the White Oak board, or you want to be able to put the stock board back if you don't like it? Yep[, got the meter, There were 2 electro's that wern't BG's??
I think you'll be pleased with the 6 bulb LED's.