Larry's Phase Linear 700B

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Figured I'd document the work we are going to do on Larry's 700 in case it could benefit some other folks.
The pic shows the new PS caps, LED light board upgrade and the DC speaker protect PCB's. The protect boards also have on-muting and off muting. LED light board courtesy of White Oak Audio. Good stuff Joe.

Attachments

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Re: Larry's 700B

Well I guess I better send it. LOL I am going to miss putting the pre on 3 and listening through the whole house. I don't know where I'm going to have room to do the speakers. My work table is full. My bench is full.

Lee I can hardly wait. The LEDs will be blue. I have emailed bout the meters several times with no response. Well I'll pack it today and ship tomorrow.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Bought 100 On-Semi MJ15024's mainly because I was getting low. Goes good with the rest of my PL output collection. RCA410 drivers, XPL910, XPL909's, DTS411's 2SD555's, FPL909's(japan and US) Sensitron 230's, MJ21196's, 1BO5's, SJ 2741's. Also have 100 2N1305's and 1304's. I'm stocked.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Forgot the damn pics.[attachment=0:2uhcvdmm]100_1902.JPG[/attachment:2uhcvdmm][attachment=0:2uhcvdmm]100_1902.JPG[/attachment:2uhcvdmm]

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

I've answered you several times about the meters. They are the same size , the only difference being the 400'sare pivoted at the bottom, the 700b's at the top. If you can get'em for a hundred or less DO!! I"ll send money tomorow for them.If we don't use the on this wecertainly will down the line.

speakerman1

Tagline

I have 1 question. How is the phono section on the 3300. I'm about to hook up a TT to it. Our should I use my phono amp?

Larry

speakerman1

Tagline

laatsch55 said:
I've answered you several times about the meters. They are the same size , the only difference being the 400'sare pivoted at the bottom, the 700b's at the top. If you can get'em for a hundred or less DO!! I"ll send money tomorow for them.If we don't use the on this wecertainly will down the line.

Not a reply from you the person who has them. He won't respond to my emails.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Larry, hell Itcan't hurt anything. I tested the inputs on the phono amp section after i recapped it but did not listen to it.
The last thing you said about the meters was you were going to talk to Tom? about them.

PPPPS- Meters. Gotcha.

speakerman1

Tagline

speakerman1 said:
I have 1 question. How is the phono section on the 3300. I'm about to hook up a TT to it. Our should I use my phono amp?

Larry
I mean does the phono section on PLs sound good? Some phono sections on pres sound as good if not better than phono amps.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

From going through it I would say above average for the day. IfI had known you were a vinyl nut I would have done something with the op-amps in that section.. I left the NJM 5532's in there. JRC 4580's or JRC4565's would do great there.

speakerman1

Tagline

laatsch55 said:
From going through it I would say above average for the day. IfI had known you were a vinyl nut I would have done something with the op-amps in that section.. I left the NJM 5532's in there. JRC 4580's or JRC4565's would do great there.
Not a vinyl nut. Just a nut. LOL

Larry

speakerman1

Tagline

Whats the HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM mean. It was kind of bright. I'm going to try and get the amp packed today. I have to get my garage half way organized. LOL

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

I was running alist of op-amps through my head, causes HHMMMMMMMMMM.....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

So , Larry's 700 arrived yesterday. Unpacked it about 8 PM and put it on the scope, it checked out fine. Hooked it up to the cornerhorns and gave it a 3 hour listen.
The reference amp I'm comparing it to is a 1975 Spec 2 with new PS caps, low noise Zetex semiconductors in the meter drive board and amp board. The amp board was upgraded with new On-semi drivers and Nichicon Muse(KZ) caps. The bias interrupt relay was changed out with Hamlin's, and the bias pot and current limiter pots were changed out with Bourns 3386 pots.
Whats all that mean? It's one of the quietest, most neutral amps I've ever heard, 347 watts RMS into 8 ohms just before it clips.
Now, after hooking up Larry's using the same Pre-amp( a similarly tricked out Spec 1) and the same speakers( kornerhorns with a 2 inch Tractix horn with a B&C DCM-50 driver, with a DC-10 tweeter, and a Crites 1526S woofer and an AL Klappenberger "Universal Crossover) no slouch in the speaker department, the 700 was pretty impressive. A wee bit more bass distortion than the Spec, Not as clear in the mids, about the same on the tweet. Dynamic range was a bit better on the 700.
All in all way closer than I expected. With what's planned for the 700, the Spec may have met it's match or more. Pics when I get home tonight.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Pics. Gotta unhook this thing and start working on it !!!!

Larry, was the chassis bent when you shipped it? It's got a famous PL shippind bend. The faceplate is skewed with the chassis sides. Takes ten minutes to fix is all.

Attachments