J.A. Michell Prisma restoration

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
Just disassembled things to install the ground wire terminals which connect the tone arm, spindle and motor. What a pain, spilled spindle oil and had to clean the whole thing again. Did a little more involved set up check since I found more of my tools. I shimmed the scale so it measures at about record height. VTA was “eye balled” and looks pretty close to me, maybe a tad high? Alignment is way out, the tone arm has to move closer to the spindle. I’ll adjust that next. I have to read the manual again about the anti-skate and other adjustments.

Attachments

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
There's an app for smartphones that measure rpm. I don't know how accurate, but should be close. I notice the jerky motion too. You said you saw it working but could the belt be a little stretched or something? Whatever the problem, I doubt its serious.
I made my own 60Hz strobe disc with Adobe Illustrator. Any place I can upload a .pdf file here?

Nevermind- found it, will upload when my computer is on (and I find the file...).

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Strobe discs etc. can be found at Vinyl Engine too. Plus custom protractors, for when things are not "ideal"...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Well darn, went to bed real early yesterday so looks like an early start today. Pulled the sweep arm off and the original ferrule was still there. Measures 5/16 OD. Looks like the hair was glued in. I think I’ll try to cut down a 7.62 and use the bottle neck as a little funnel to get the hair into the original ferrule then try crazy glue. If that doesn’t hold then I’ll split the brass and use the set screw to clamp the ferrule closed I think... gotta fix Linda also but I think I’m gonna need parts. I doubt I’ll get them with coronAIDS messing up shipping.

Attachments

J!m

Tagline
BOT
All done now but I was going to suggest a .223 “funnel” which remains on the hair while you epoxy the hair into the larger ferrule.

Then, once it’s set up, use the .223 neck as a trim guide with a new razor.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
All done now but I was going to suggest a .223 “funnel” which remains on the hair while you epoxy the hair into the larger ferrule.

Then, once it’s set up, use the .223 neck as a trim guide with a new razor.
That’s pretty much exactly what I did!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I won a fly tying kit when I was a kid at the annual game dinner. Never really fished much but it kept me busy for a while.