J.A. Michell Prisma restoration

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
That looks too cold. Have a friend that was a chief engineer. Worked on ships owned by Sealand. Said it was a really good life if you liked the sea.

Nice work on your turntable by the way. Always liked the looks of those Michell's.

AngrySailor

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---not quite right
That looks too cold. Have a friend that was a chief engineer. Worked on ships owned by Sealand. Said it was a really good life if you liked the sea.
The job itself is not bad, better as you move up. I rarely go outside the engine room now. The shit part is how long you’re away from home. I’m into my third month right now but I agreed to an extra month. They’re being vague in emails about my relief, seems they’re figuring I’ll make the rest of the scheduled trips and do layup, which would put me solid into month four which isn’t going to happen! Some deep sea/cruise ship contracts can be 6-9 months. F-that!

We should be clear of the ice in a couple hours, finished the prop rod this morning too. Just need to locate it on the cover and cut to final length.

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Been a while single these parts seen the light of day. Lost the ball bearing somewhere through the years... can find the prop rod in my luggage... tomorrow... got some felt to replace the dickered pads the record sits on. Lots of cleaning to do... got to visit the girl up the street, talk nice and get some horse hair for the record brush!

Attachments

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Just got back home from speaker building... maybe tomorrow I’ll look for the right hammer to service the Prisma motor. I did pick up some countersunk head stainless screws for the lid today and I think next move will be to install the handle/closing stops and prob rod so the lid works normally and doesn’t get damaged.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Dropped a little oil on the motor shaft, Slammed the tone arm on, quick and dirty, new belt, old stylus. Not good, It’s speed is SLOW. Can’t adjust high enough. Strobe seems close, 50hz strobe disc??? I know this turntable was in use, I’ve listened to it but she’s facked Ricky!

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
There's an app for smartphones that measure rpm. I don't know how accurate, but should be close. I notice the jerky motion too. You said you saw it working but could the belt be a little stretched or something? Whatever the problem, I doubt its serious.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Was the herky jerky rotation an optical illusion?
I think that is YouTube’s motion smoothing at work. In the original video it doesn’t look like the YouTube version.

It’s too slow even with both speed pots all the way up. If I “help it” along a little the strobe settles in. I’ll see about gettting the motor apart. It’s a new belt bill.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
If you think the oil made it in, you could let it run overnight (or until it catches fire, whichever comes first) and then re-check the speed.

How is the platter bearing?

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
If you think the oil made it in, you could let it run overnight (or until it catches fire, whichever comes first) and then re-check the speed.

How is the platter bearing?
The ball was lost over the years. The spindle is mint. I gutted a few ball bearings I had in the shop for a ball about the right size, cleaned everything and put a few drops of clean #30 motor oil on the spindle. Apparently Michell oil is re-bottled Mobil 5w30 lol. It spins for what seems like forever with no belt on it. It does sit a tad low and the belt doesn’t line up perfect. It runs up at a slight angle to the motor. I placed a spacer under the spindle bearing to raise it even with the motor and strobe pulley. Didn’t seem to make any difference. I only played a record for about 30 seconds as the tone arm hasn’t been set up and the stylus is smoked worse than I though. I didn’t want to mess with my new stylus after a few cans of speaker lubricant last night... this morning I checked the stylus force, 1.53g. The tone arm is probably set up close as it was simply unbolted as a unit. VTA must be set for sure as it was moved to access a hold down bolt. I still need to install the lid stops and prop rod, but I’ll probably just leave the cover off till she’s all done being molested.

Jim, The oil couldn’t have got to the bottom bearing so I’ll have to see about disassembling. It’s probably got dried up old oil/grease in it.