It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Okay, tthree and a half items to report.

1. Firefox just updated to version 68.0
2. Malwarebytes just updated to a new version, meaning you get 14 days of premium protection free in the trial version.
3. Windows 7 had 2 important and one optional updates for this month that became available in the last week.
3b. I haven't checked Windows Update in 10 yet.

Last edited:

mlucitt

Downloaded the new version of Malwarebytes. It found eight bad files including two trojans that were waiting to infect.

Thanks for the tip. I usually run the latest versions of the virus software, but I have been lax for a few weeks.

orange

Tagline
Firefox 68.0.1 is out now, if you aren't updated automatically click Help then About and the update button should appear in that window.

orange

Tagline
I was given a 32-bit Compaq with a BIOS dated 2008 to fiddle with or use the parts.

The hard drive has VISTA, a piece of work with two user accounts, not exactly a masterpiece of programs on that thing, it had PC2-6400U (800 MHz) 2GB DIMMS. two of them and an ~250GB hard drive and what is probably a modem card for v.90 or v.92, tiny things they are nowadays as I remember when it took a board the entire length of the slot for something as mundane as a Conextant.

I haven't looked at the model or what board it uses but the CPU is AMD Athlon 2.7GHz, single core and it runs but it's getting silly to install 32-bit Linux anymore I hear. I was going to try taking the power supply and seeing if my MPC Clientpro 385, Core2 Duo 1.87 GHz would start again BUT!

20 pin power supply! On a 2008 PC? Holy Crap Batman, the MPC is older (MPC folded in 2008) and has an Intel E6300! So it's twin was slagged when the power supply caught fire...OOPS, looked agin, it's 20+4.

What were they thinking at HP? I don't know why a board would use a 20 pin PS in 2008. I do have other 20 pin supplies though I'll try to get the MPC back up and if I do I'll work on that Compaq for something else and if not the Compaq goes back together with Mint.

I think that it would take a lot work to clean up that Vista installation and it acts like trying to update antivirus is herpes itself anyway. Like I said, a Piece Of Work. I'm about certain that the forces of Darkness won years ago when I see some old installations.

If you recall SANDY, her southbridge was blown up by Nazis at Remagen or something, it kept overheating and shutting the computer down. This leaves two more PCs to check/fix or chuck,k the MPC and Dell Vostro 410 #2 before I'm done fiddling for a while. I have six running anyhow.

Two Dell XPS 420s, Endora (Win 10) and Samantha (7) at 4 GB RAM each. These things are basically much like the Dimension 3100/E310 in case and board layout but they take 667-up RAM without the temperament problems. Samantha lacks a card reader. the ones I have don't seem to fit well. this is the model that has the tiny screen on the top that tells you what the problems are in addition to the four BIOS sequence LEDs or there is a little game. There is also a huge vent on top, maybe 4x6" so you really can't place anythng over that like on other cases.You could put a monitor with a small heavy base on the latch at the back perhaps. It runs really cool but I wouldn't obstruct it even partially.

Alison as always, Win 7 and 8 GB.Emily, the sickly Dimension was retired and stripped. RIP.

Phoebe, Dell Vostro 410 #1, 32 bit Windows 7. Intel E7200 dual core (Core2 Duo), 1.87 GHz. Phoebe is well adjusted and happy right now.

Wylla, HP Media Center m7690y, was originally XP now 7. It wasn't easy for this one. A friend installed Windows 7 for me though. IIRC Windows Media Player is a mess on this one, would love to be able to fix that.

Mandi, an Asus board with Windows 10 in a Thermaltake case with no door. 4GB I'd have to connect a monitor up, it's been offline for a few daze working on the others. the video is standard VGA with optional HDMI at the least onboard.

But I haven't messed with that. I have a HUD inspection the 30th to deal with first. An exterminator came yesterday and set up traps so I'm hoping just a little bit. Those stupid things are nothing but fur, crap and some ability to breed quickly. But I've never seenh anything like this in my life, and I've rented for 36 years. INSANE.

BTW The Compaq is a Presario something 5000.

orange

Tagline
I spent the entire night and finally got the MPC Clientpro 385 going again!

I had a 20+4 pin power supply from that Compaq Presario I took apart and I had to use sctoch trape to get the two parts f the plug tostay together and then I removed the tape.

It takes forever to get the SATA cables in the hard drives and then...

The power switch was flashing red...oh WAIT, I didn't connect the PS/2 power! D'oh!

NOW it works and it was getting updates...I'm sure that Mint 19.3 or 4 is out by now though.

Only the Compaq to rebuild and the second Dell Vostro 410 to try out once the replacement CPU is in properly. If it doesn't work it's only $4 as it was a pull from a working machine. That would be everything I have if to fix done if that works.I think NINE in all.
PC ORPHANAGE!

orange

Tagline
Linux Mint 19.2 "Tina" was released on August 2nd. If you are running 19.1 "Tessa" you can directly upgrade once 19.1 is fully updated, which may require downloading additional updates in Update Manager (the shield icon in the bottom right corner on the taskbar until it appears in the Edit menu at the top of Update Manager. There may be further updates after you have successfully upgraded.that.

See blog.linuxmint.com for further details and also with the new Timeshift feature in 19.1 you can make a snapshot of the installation files before upgrading, in case something goes wrong, and you can go back to a previous snapshot if anything should mess up during an update or upgrade (similar to what Windows System Restore does).

As the old Palmolive ads used to say, "You're soaking in it".

Now on to that Presario.

orange

Tagline
Went through allthe trouble of manhandling heavy stuff to hook Alison back up in this second bedroom andgot the heavy HP all-in-one perched up there and balanced good, monitor in place, ethernet plugged in and everything powered up and then...

CPU FAN NOT RUNNING.

??? When was I poking around in there and unplugged that? I was fixing to update the Windows 7 and all that after several months, and bingo.

orange

Tagline
Discovered that the plug may have been loose or the fan was stopped by a wire bundle and I have a lot of updating to do now.

The good news is that Alison seems to accept the same memory stick as Endora. Be nice to find two-three more readers like that and be less reliant on one machine.

There are still 1 GB memory sticks available for my Cyber-Shot, which is adequate for me as that's what the canon used most of the time, the 2 GB Sd card saw a lot of use for transferring files. I would like some help getting one, they are like $11 or so but have to be purchased online.

Since the camera was only about $26-27 getting a bigger card is not a bad deal.

BTW Alison has been down for at least four months....much to do. FF is up to date, Malwarebytes too and AVG is restarting to finish updating and then scanning and Windows Updates. Whee.

orange

Tagline
Five hours later, done. And that was for not having updated since MAY when I last operated it.

orange

Tagline
Cleaning and moving atound, the computers too...Endora is in the living room now and the HP all in one comes in there with it.

If I can figure out how to use the wireless capability of the all-in-one I'll see if I can network it.

Meanwhile, my 160 GB WD Passport external drive stopped registering a few daze ago and although I can re-rip much of it and I have all the Christmas album stuff on C: along with my Word Perfect, a huge amount of backup is on there...crap, I have some CDs and DVDs there as well but...that's kust soggy corm flakes.

orange

Tagline
And FYI because I've been lax, FF is up to 69.0.3 as of last week.

orange

Tagline
NEW DESK SETUP (6).JPG NEW DESK SETUP (7).JPG NEW DESK SETUP (8).JPG

NEW DESK SETUP (5).JPG

And the printer pages stay on the desk, which is very good.

The desk is up against the curtains. gewer ting withh get lost back there now.

orange

Tagline
1572338703965.png

Okay, I got this Windows 10 Dell XPS 420 changed on the login screen from Jolene to Steven, but the Users file is still named Jolene and I am still not done after a few months of owning this computer. What do I do to change the user folder name, do I have to copy to a new one named Steven or whatever and delete the user Jolene or can I rename it?

It's bad enough she was trying to steal Dolly Parton's man.

orange

Tagline
1. I guess I have to clone the Jolene folder to my own and make me the admisitrator.

2. Alison is back home, with a new 120 GB HP SSD that I gather is cloned from the old drive. I'm told the response times will be like a 2020 C8 Corvette. Still W7 but would really like to upgrade a couple more to 10.

orange

Tagline
And finally for now, Malwarebytes has a new version 4.0.4 so go to malwarebytes.com and downlowd the free 14-day premium trial for real time protection then it reverts to the Free version

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I found the page where I can hopefully still upgrade my W7 to W10 and I'm at 95% for thedlownload on Samantha (Dell XPS 420). Not sure it will work on Phoebe (Dell Vostro 410, 32-bit) and I'm hoplding off onALison until I have a better idea of what to expect. But my two W10 machines are fully updated to 1909.

Oh boy, verifying the download now...

orange

Tagline
Cleanup and closing sdetup, preparing and now checking for updates.

Checking my PC...you know this takes forever...asking me to accept or decline (duh) and going back to getting updates.

Suffice it to say you can go the fridge and grab a beer and a snack.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
An SSD will make a world of difference. Be sure to leave at least 25% free space so it can do its Trim and garbage collection or it will wear out quick.