I'm Buying a "Mule" PL400

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Is this a pretty picture or what??? Outputs torqued to 12 inch-pounds with new screws, and no shorts to ground, all transistor pins measure zero ohms to sockets. First time using Sil-Pads, they are great! I remember someone saying to check the torque of the screws after the first heat cycle.

Output Transistors Installed.jpg

mlucitt

Lee, I believe you have done at least one of the WOA Backplane mods. I was stubborn and wanted to do the new emitter resistors the old-fashioned way, and now I am paying for it. Never had these problems before... I have joined the WOA Backplane team, for the next amp rebuild.

Can you send me two of your old output transistor mounting fixtures? I have one that is missing a head and a leg! How does this stuff happen?

Missing A Head And A Leg.jpg

Thanks!

mlucitt

I installed a 3-wire power jack a few days ago. It just barely fits, but that is OK because only a small bit of aluminum needs to be cut around the old 2-wire cord strain relief bushing hole. I do it with a Dremel in about five minutes. The solder lugs on the back also make it easy to install a couple of EMI Type X2 .022uf 250 VAC capacitors between the AC lines.

Attachments

mlucitt

Any thoughts on using different bias transistors (Q6)? The "Mule" had one 2N3403 (probably stock) and one NTE 192A. On both of these the numbers were printed on the metal strap. I am considering matched 2N5088 as Joe recommends. Any easy source or should I buy 100 and match them myself?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Any thoughts on using different bias transistors (Q6)? The "Mule" had one 2N3403 (probably stock) and one NTE 192A. On both of these the numbers were printed on the metal strap. I am considering matched 2N5088 as Joe recommends. Any easy source or should I buy 100 and match them myself?
No matching required Mark.

mlucitt

I have not shared any progress pictures of the Mule WOPL 400 lately, so here is one showing my attempt at nylon lacing instead of the venerable ty-wraps:

Nylon Lacing.jpg