Hmmmmmm...........

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Where in the circuit are your rail fuses Lee? You should not have blown any fuses bringing up the PS unit...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Lee
There should be an AC mains fuse and then a fuse on the output of the capacitor bank to the load. Should not be a fuse on each leg of the transformer to the bridges.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Hookay. Not a problem. Got everything goin to and from a terminal strip. Easily re-run.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
OK, so , what does a BAPS (bad ass power supply) need for cables and connectors..........why Amphenol Aerospace!!!
Had to bop down to the shop and spend about 20 minutes on the bridgeport and this is what we got.....

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Amen Joe. She's about ready to rotate into a 700 Ser I for some THD & N trials. I'm betting an outboard toroid is going to be much quieter than an onboard elam.

GOTTSA LOVE THAT RAIL VOLTAGE!!!

Attachments

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
That is one serious power supply you've put together there Lee. I like the layout you have with the BABBs, the dual BR and other components - you'll need to diagram for us it at a later date. To get my head striaght you're using a WO contorller board with PL 700 output section with a BAPS pumping out over 200 Vdc? What drivers are you using for this - that's a butt ton of voltage you'll be using to drive your speaks. I've been following this thread with baited breath but it is getting exciting now. Those connectors with the BACs you chose can pass some serious current - I was wondering and now I know. Shhhiiiiiiiiiiit dude. You're running these as mono blocks - if I understood correctly. I know you've stressed your horns before but it looks like they get another smoke test with this setup.

You are an inspiration - thanks for that.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep Dennis, that's one channel worth of power supply. Rail voltages will be +/- 105. Yep getting close. the wires are soldered into the pins Larrt. Male and female side have solder cups in the ends of the pins. Pretty easy actually.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I really just wanted to see how ridiculous I could get with what was laying around the house.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have never seen a soldered cannon plug. The make pin puller to pull the pins. We crimped everything. Learn something new everyday. You should drill some safety wire holes. LOL Our crimpers and everything was calibrated. Our strippers were calibrated to not touch one strand of wire and cut through Teflon. You always had an avionics kit.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Mark, I have access to a lot of large industrial stuff from the mines, oilfield, etc. Most of the scrappers around town know what I covet and when the "Lee" pile gets big enough they give me a call.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ywah it really is. Most of the stuff our oil company uses, but there is acertain amount that comes home to poppa.