Hmmmmmm...........

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yes, very hard drop Joe. And the wonderful thing about being the company electrician is access to mountains of wire and breakers. A toroid is bad eough at turn-on, and then throw 140,000uf in to the equation--SHEESH---I guess we'll see. I love this shit---bust-a-myth time. Will it blow 20 amp breakers at turn-on? Gonna know that for sure in a couple days. Will they be quieter than the stock 700's? we'll know that too. Will 280,000uf for 1200 watts be a ridiculous waste of money? Gonna find out. Will 280,000 uf SOUND better than 120,000uf? Yep , we'll know that too. Will that much large capacitance affect the slew rate?? Got the test equipment to answer that question too. Just need to learn how to apply them. At what point does subtracting power supply capacitance affect the sound? That will be answered too.

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
I'm always curious about the engineering side of things. I should take advantage of tuition re-embersment. I feel there will be less and less people around to work on audio equipment, vintage or otherwise. It's already an issue I've come to find.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I figured it wouldn't hurt either. Gonna come a time when running a 36" pipe wrench with a 6 foot cheater pipe when it's 20 below zero isn't attractive anymore.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
What amazes me is that power supply is almost as big physically as an entire 700 Ser I.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Man I know people that have some real physical and dangerous jobs, take pride in not being lil weaklings, only to end up on disability because they messed up their bodies/lungs you name it. I loved doing home theater/multi room/satellite installs, not the roughest work, but managed to hurt myself enough and have severe joint pain that I was willing to drop it for a cushier job. Well, better pay and benefits isn't bad either lol.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
No, that's a real good reason. And the good part of my life right now is if I don't want to jump on that much pipe wrench, I call the kids. Still plenty of time for them to be a legend too.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yes, very hard drop Joe. And the wonderful thing about being the company electrician is access to mountains of wire and breakers. A toroid is bad eough at turn-on, and then throw 140,000uf in to the equation--SHEESH---I guess we'll see. I love this shit---bust-a-myth time. Will it blow 20 amp breakers at turn-on? Gonna know that for sure in a couple days. Will they be quieter than the stock 700's? we'll know that too. Will 280,000uf for 1200 watts be a ridiculous waste of money? Gonna find out. Will 280,000 uf SOUND better than 120,000uf? Yep , we'll know that too. Will that much large capacitance affect the slew rate?? Got the test equipment to answer that question too. Just need to learn how to apply them. At what point does subtracting power supply capacitance affect the sound? That will be answered too.

Does this mean the amp will run for about 5 minutes after the power switch is turned off? :tongue3:

NavLinear

The mechanical end of it can be sooooooooooo messy.
I think we need to get you a real work bench Lee.

I've been waiting for this thread for some time - big ass caps, big ass
toroidal
transformer and big ass buss bar - mono block to boot should equal big ass sound. Don't blow your horns!

Full or quasi comp? I'd ass-u-me a full comp set up and of course you'll be using the WO controller board. Can't wait for the smoke test and I'm very impressed with what you're doing here.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Thanks Dennis. been pondering this for a couple years. Finally got all the parts scrounged up. Quasi just like the 700's. I might check with Ed to see what's all involved to make it a fully comp..........Hmmmmm....

Making progress.... 75 amp -push/pull on/off switch, 750 volt/amp toroid. 4-35,000 yuf/120 volt caps, 2-35 amp BR's, one just for the minus rail, and one for the positive rail(and effectively cooled, proper thermal inertia). And had to dress up the end caps.

have a bunch of stuff to pack and ship , so later today should have it done.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Lee
You sure on that toroid 750 VA rating? If that is the case, it will be your power output limiter.

You will not gain anything out of the bridges putting the plus and minus into separate bridges. Two bridges in parallel would get you more as long as you put a 50 milliohm sharing resistor on the plus output of each before joining the two bridge connections into the plus rail. Do the same thing for the minus outputs.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hi Lee
You sure on that toroid 750 VA rating? If that is the case, it will be your power output limiter.

You will not gain anything out of the bridges putting the plus and minus into separate bridges. Two bridges in parallel would get you more as long as you put a 50 milliohm sharing resistor on the plus output of each before joining the two bridge connections into the plus rail. Do the same thing for the minus outputs.

The world would be a much more difficult place for parts changers were it not for the Joe's of this world. Was hoping you would chime in here Joe. Yes that is the rating of the toroid, also why it being used in the mono-bloc iteration. The tag says the secondary is rated for 8 amps, so I figure that's roughly half what the original 700 was rated for. Thought I was in the ballpark. Thanks for the suggestion on the bridges. My reason for that was inrush from the capacitor bank, with no softstart on the supply they are going to take quite a jolt and figured hedging my bets was not a bad thing in that regard.

On the transformer rating. Pre-rectified secondary voltage is 151.2, or 75.6 each side of the center tapped secondary. Figuring the 750 va rating the secondaries should be capable of 5 amps total. The 8 amp rating doesn't ring true. Rectified voltage is 106.7 +/- volts DC.
What am I missing here.

Also, I have a lot of these toroids, any way to parallel em??

Last edited: