Hmmmmmm...........

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Those will do Lee. You will lose a little over 1W at each resistor when the amp is putting out 1000W per channel.

A total of 4 0.22 resistors then, one out of each bridge plus terminal and one out of each minus terminal. Please ensure the bridges are of identical type and ensure that the AC is phased identically into each AC inlet on the bridges otherwise you will have a thermal event on your hands... I think you know what I mean here.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, have had a few thermal events at 480 3 phase. It certainly makes the heart beat a wee bit faster. Soooo, how limited will I be in the present configuration. I'm thinking right at 500 watts.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
that 750 VA tranny is your limiter Lee, the normal PL700 has a 1.2KVA transformer in it...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ok Joe, before i put the solder to this.....anything you see I missed?? I know the bypass caps are going on next.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Looks wired correctly Lee. Are you sure those are 5 watters for the balance resistors? They look more like 3's but they will give you enough margin. The series Rs will give you a softer startup as well.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ok, i think ya missed a post or two. 750VA should be fine for one channel, no?? Yep, 5watters, said so on the package.

I'll tidy things up a bit and lay out the rest of it and check with ya again.

Whoops, i stand corrected, they are 3 watt. the 10's I have are 5, my bad.....

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Done except for the Amphenol aerospace equipped cable going to the amp. One question Joe, with an outboard PS where is the star ground point now?? I know in the middle of the caps is where it originates, but, does that mean I have to have 6 separate wires coming back to the PS ??If I do no sweat I'll run another cable.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Are you planning a separate chassis for the monoblock amp electronics? You should be able to establish a single point ground within that chassis and run a really large wire back to your copper bus bar single point in the PS unit. Make sure you have some bypassing in the amp chassis between the Plus/minus rails and the amp single point ground.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yes Joe, separate chassis. Should I also bypass right at the board to take care of any inductions gathered along the way?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Brought it up the first time on thwe DBT, things went fine. Bled the cap bank to 2 volts and tried a dsirect hard start. The 5 amp rail fuses lasted till cap voltage was 22 volts.

Well PB Joe, it didn't blow a breaker, but may not be able to keep fuses in it.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ten amp did survive, but the lights on in the house dimmed momentarily. A fella will have to sequence the start up of more than one of these.