Garrard Type A II

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
It's very fulfilling to see your Garrard spinning, Joe. I would be playing some older jazz with that turntable, maybe even some big band.

Nando.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Finally got an original plinth for this. It's kinda purdy. Found a different source for the M3D needles. $12 free ship. Running this with the Bellari, Jolida and the 901's makes me feel like I should put on a smoking jacket and pack a pipe.
Don't be bashful ! If you go full out with the get-up we want pictures or it didn't happen. :evil4:
Good looking spinner ...

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I know you too well, Joe. I didn't expect you to be pulling out any of your KISS albums.

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Blaze, are you taking about the red Bellari VP130 in the pic? That's a phono preamp, also has a headphone out yep. I got this from Larry & it kicks ass.
Yep, that's it. Any idea what tube it's running ?

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I usually use a Tung-Sol 12AX7, but I'm re-trying this Sovtek 5751. The Bellari has a really nice sound & I keep going back to it.

NavLinear

You know you were an audio nerd when that is what your reading material was. Then we met Nav... :)
Heathkit???????? Allied???????? How 'bout Playboy :read: and a bit later Penthouse. :jerk: Don't forget about National Geographic - those tittie shots were to die for. :tongue5:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
You got me, Joe. I didn't think Iggy would be one you would dig out after Basie. What next - Metallica?

Nando.
That ended the evening Nando. Sounded surprisingly nice on this machine. Something about this heavy idler/tracking that sounds really nice n beefy. (When it tracks ok).

Attachments

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Trying out the Shure M97xe on this TT tonight. Screws to headshell not quite right. It's tight and seems stable but only with one really tight screw. The original brass screws won't fit the slots on the sides of the cart. I'll have to mod it somehow, but for now, it's tight.

I set the max weight to 2 grams with the stabilizer down. I'm going to guess that since this is a higher compliance cart on a beast of an arm, it may not be the best choice lol. But, the stabilizer should help with this issue...I'm hoping...

So far it sounds really nice!

This cart seems to be performing as I remember. Pretty smooth, not the best tracker but tracking as good as it has on other tables. Minimal noise. If anything, I think it might even sound a bit better then I've heard it on other TT's. If it works out, I believe I can fit the 78s needle on this cart and re-adjust for 78rpm play - cool.

However, once it gets to about half way through the record, it starts skipping pretty bad. Since it's a changer, I'm guessing there are forces that make it much harder for a light VTF to deal with. After all, the VTF gauge goes up to 7 grams lol. But it does have a mark for 3 grams and a few ticks lower then that.

I think I may have solved the issue. Maybe. The tone arm wires were hitting the plastic on the plinth, just about where and when the skipping was occurring. Right now, it's in play and it appears to have made it through this time!

Still skipped a little at the very end. That has to be the friction plate starting to get tripped for the changer. I guess I could move it aside, but that'll take a little disassembly. Maybe tomorrow.

Question for you folks: If you get a hard skip on a record, based on what's happening here under test, is there a pretty good chance that some damage occurred to the record, causing a spot to skip again?-------- I'm guessing yes?