Funny pictures...

Tagline
---
power / diesel to spin it up, then wind energy can be extracted.

it has to suck power from the grid at times to manage itself.

hydropower is somewhat the same, where one gen is freewheeling, at times absorbing energy and a few instants later is supplying energy until the wicket gates can adjust.

not condoning, just 'splanin...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
power / diesel to spin it up, then wind energy can be extracted.

it has to suck power from the grid at times to manage itself.

hydropower is somewhat the same, where one gen is freewheeling, at times absorbing energy and a few instants later is supplying energy until the wicket gates can adjust.

not condoning, just 'splanin...
The stated reason for the diesel generator is for grid stabilization and peak capping. The PMLD (Princeton Municipal Light Department) really has little strategy in mind when they do things. The useless windmills have been a surtax on top of the KWhr rate for years and have been the butt of town jokes. The diesel generator for grid stabilization also speaks to that lack of strategy. Princeton purports itself to be one of the greenest towns in MA.

My other town, Sterling has the states largest solar grid plus owns a Li Ion based grid stabilization unit and doubles to help store solar energy for that stabilization purpose. They actually have a strategy and have consistently brought down rates over the many years I have lived here.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
The future is miniature and modular nuclear reactors in every metropolitan city and surrounding area. Much better and more resilient than three nationwide grids. Maybe less vulnerable to attacks by bad actors who want to take out the Eastern electric grid.
It is green, and with redundant backup reactors, very reliable and robust. They can re-use some existing transmission lines and even long-haul for emergency cross connections between reactor locations.
Think about no more coal, oil, or hydro systems. Former Navy operators running a submarine or carrier sized set of reactors generating steam in a closed-loop system. Just like Jim said.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I lead sustainability efforts for my day job and do product carbon footprint work constantly. The difference between France (90% nuclear power) and any other region of the world is so striking as to be almost unbelievable. IT energy usage is incredibly large and growing and constitutes the dominant factor in the carbon footprint of enterprise class computing equipment. France is a standout in low emissions.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
France is a standout in low emissions.
Joe, we could learn a thing or two from the French, and they have good fries.
Do you want to partner on a joint venture to bring nuclear power to the Sterling borough of MA? We only need about $125 Billion startup and a little more to buy some politicians...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe, we could learn a thing or two from the French, and they have good fries.
Do you want to partner on a joint venture to bring nuclear power to the Sterling borough of MA? We only need about $125 Billion startup and a little more to buy some politicians...
But Mark, that would be a distraction to my work on cold fusion