Don Imlay's Phase Linear 400 Series II Quasi -Comp.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
With the 21194's as drivers, VERY slightly MORE than a 15024. Say .005 to .008 more.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
ksrigg said:
Yeah, your analyzer is awesome. And in thhe hands of someone wheo knows how to use it, it must be fun as hell. So are Phas Linear 400 Series II going to be a viable rebuild amp? Are they going to perform at the level of the Series I? I know you said the bean counters had made the component quality dive, but some of those things can be changed. Were there any real improvements to the circuit from the SEries I, or are they mostly cosmetic and economic? Just interested in whaat your overall take on these amps might be. How about the DRS Series? Anything worth rebuilding there? How about a Dual 500? Worth the effort? What would one of them do after a rebuild....600 Watts per, or more? Worth the efort to get one that would work?
Don't know about the DRS series. The Ser II 400 I have here is just a newer version of the Ser I. If you replace the board you essentially have a SEries I with LED meters.
Would love to work on a DUAL 500. They can be touchy Ed tells me.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
As Lee says, the Phase Linear series 2 quasi-comp is really just window dressing on the Series 1 (new high tech meters) and a cost reduction for the control board which occurred as the era of mass market, low cost integrated circuits ushered in during this time period. It got rid of a lot of discrete components on the board and allowed Phase to lower production costs. Putting the White Oak board in a Series 2 restores it to the original greatness that made Phase Linear famous.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
That is good to know. I was under the impression that a Series II could not be made to work using Joe's Whit Oak PCB. Now I'll be on the lookout for cheapo Series II's as well as Series I's.. Cool stuff. I think a pair of Series II's at the top of a rack of Series I's would look so cool..

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Oh &%!+.......It's always something....plus, after the one I'm trying to get up and running, I'm done for a while. I know I've worn Mark and Joe and you out Lee, and I am sorry for all the questions and stupid mistakes. I've just been trying to do something I'm not really trained to do.

Like I said, my next project is building a Space Shuttle in the back yard..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
LMPOAO!!!!!!

Sutton, you are not driving anyone crazy. When you get Joe to postin funnies, that's worth it!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Hookay. Havin fun with Don's Ser II. First pics are of the left channel THD & N in a sweep.

What the graph doesn't tell you Bias .380 VDC, offset 16mv DC, Both channels loaded at 8 ohms.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
So the right channel sucks. Here are some pics of the waveforms.. They start out at 80khz and go down to 21 KHZ.
As it went down in frequency, the notch you see disappears and the upper half of the sine wave loses its nice curve and progressively gets pointy-er, until the upper half looks like a 15 degree angle.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
One last pic before it gets buttoned up and put on the horns. The problem was in the DC protect board. It tracks the DC on the base bus bar , and if it's not right can can severly effect the quality of signal on that channel..

Attachments

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Can you elaborate on "if it's not right..." What means this? What did you DO to fix it? Inquiring minds want to know.

By the way, that amp looks bee-u-ti-ful.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Yes, here also wondering what the cause of the distortion was. Will be interesting too to hear what Don has to say about this amp when he hears it. He has heard a few in his day I reckon.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
This particular amp had his prototype 400 board in it , or close to it anyway, and yes, I found a way to hurt it. I think there is something in the IC that gave way and started bleeding into the base bus bar, but that is pure speculation. To truly quantify that I should have had it wired to the left channel to see if it followed it over. AND, it still operated as intended, just real noisy.