Derek92994's 700 Ser II White Oak conversion

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Had a setup next to the couch, but it was blocking access to some vinyl. Removed some Components and put it on the coffee table with the Thorens.
Recapped the EQ and upgraded 3x OP Amps to 2134PA's. Other than that it was all house cleaning and maintenance today. Back to work tomorrow.
The WOPL G1 board is amazing! So many surprises it throws at me. Thanks to Lee and Joe.

derek92994

Tagline
At work at the moment. Was grumpy last night. Loud pop from right channel amp was powered up for about 3 mins with nothing playing. Hit the power switch and a hot smell come from amp, not like capacitor smell though. Dragged her out of the cabinet and into the naughty corner. Put the pioneer spare back in, sat down, poured a strong one and grumbled :evil4: I suspect DC protect saved my ass. Damn that was a loud pop.

first steps? Variac? Visual inspection I think. Not much time during the week. Advice greatly appreciated.

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
First thought with a "loud pop" would be a reversed capacitor, at least the old ones would really go bang, used to do it as a prank. New ones usually just vent smoke and steam, and don't leave shredded electrolyte soaked paper everywhere.

derek92994

Tagline
First thought with a "loud pop" would be a reversed capacitor, at least the old ones would really go bang, used to do it as a prank. New ones usually just vent smoke and steam, and don't leave shredded electrolyte soaked paper everywhere.
Its been working for several months, I suspect something on RHS backplane because thats where the smell cane from when the rev D board went. It has a G1 board now. Will get it on the bench this afternoon.

derek92994

Tagline
Rail fuses etc, all the ones at the back will check. Whats the procedure for checking outputs?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Positive meter lead on the base, negative on the emitter on the 96's, reverse that for the 95's, in diode mode....any giveaways on the visual, like blown or burnt resistor on the backplanes? Pico fuses good?

derek92994

Tagline
Positive meter lead on the base, negative on the emitter on the 96's, reverse that for the 95's, in diode mode....any giveaways on the visual, like blown or burnt resistor on the backplanes? Pico fuses good?
Will update you after work, thanks Lee

derek92994

Tagline
WOPL repair school, the place to be!
Im actually keen to learn more down the track. Will look at purchasing a care package next year.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Attached is the page from the 400 manual on how to test outputs. It's not in the 700 manual. It works for just about any traditional amp. Read it 2 or 3 times and do what it says and you'll find the shorted device(s). Note that replacement of fuses multiple times does at least $100 worth of damage each time the fuses are replaced. This leads to open emitter resistors etc.

I bought a mili-ohm meter (it reads fractions of an ohm) for $100 on Amazon. It works really good for finding failed outputs as it is far more accurate than a regular DVM at very low resistances. Works great for testing and matching emitter resistors. I don't think it's all that important to match new ones, but you can with the right instrument.

Attachments

Last edited: