Derek92994's 700 Ser II White Oak conversion

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
That's reassuring Joe. Very satisfied with the purchase.
Been doing research on these. Like Joe said, and Perry said a good while back, quality parts and construction, even though China manufactured. The bipolar transistors and dual FETs appear to be Japan made Toshiba. At least that's what all the genuine NOS replacements appear to be. Those big yellow film caps at the outputs, I've read say "Made in Mexico", haven't seen any info on brand
How's your Acurus compare to your old PL preamp?

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Been doing research on these. Like Joe said, and Perry said a good while back, quality parts and construction, even though China manufactured. The bipolar transistors and dual FETs appear to be Japan made Toshiba. At least that's what all the genuine NOS replacements appear to be. Those big yellow film caps at the outputs, I've read say "Made in Mexico", haven't seen any info on brand
How's your Acurus compare to your old PL preamp?
They are close, Lee did a lot of work to the 3600, I noticed a slight coloring to the bass running it flat compared to the Acurus. Both excellent preamps, and both will remain in the system with the option to run either.
What I am hearing tonight is some very nice sound staging and imaging from the Acurus using a Pioneer PD-S501 CD player. I am not missing the loudness or tone controls at all. I think it was mentioned that the Acurus is very close to a direct connection from the source to the amp.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Those caps are from Mexico and do not have a brand name. But they are in all the Aragon and Accurus gear so they must sound “decent” but also inexpensive. Perhaps, their construction was directed by Mondial and whoever they were made them to spac? I’ve not seen them in any other gear from any maker.

But I’ll say that if you like the preamp, this specific cap is the one to “roll” to find your nirvana.

I swapped mine “blind” (deaf) in the D2A but haven’t listened yet. If I was more clever, I would have put some terminals on the (shitty) board to facilitate swapping… I presume the Accurus boards are also single sided and pads lift easily.

George S.

Those caps are from Mexico and do not have a brand name. But they are in all the Aragon and Accurus gear so they must sound “decent” but also inexpensive. Perhaps, their construction was directed by Mondial and whoever they were made them to spac? I’ve not seen them in any other gear from any maker.

But I’ll say that if you like the preamp, this specific cap is the one to “roll” to find your nirvana.

I swapped mine “blind” (deaf) in the D2A but haven’t listened yet. If I was more clever, I would have put some terminals on the (shitty) board to facilitate swapping… I presume the Accurus boards are also single sided and pads lift easily.
Photos of the Acurus boards show double sided and plated through holes. Looks like a decent quality board. I appreciate the info on the big film caps.