Carver C1 going through rework

mr_rye89

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I’m having trouble figuring out where to put the regulator. Are these the jumpers you lifted to put the regulator circuit in?

scratch that I just found e30m3mon’s post a couple pages back

Attachments

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Speaking of... is he on vacation? Haven't seen him around in a month or so.
Hi Bob (et. al.)

I'm still around - as Joe said, Dog Days got me doing more stuff outside. No camping just yet...taking care of som landscaping and put up a gazebo for the wife. Got a few more things to do around here...never done it seems.

I hope you all are doing well! I'll be back soon enough.
Stay well

Attachments

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Hi Bob (et. al.)

I'm still around - as Joe said, Dog Days got me doing more stuff outside. No camping just yet...taking care of som landscaping and put up a gazebo for the wife. Got a few more things to do around here...never done it seems.

I hope you all are doing well! I'll be back soon enough.
Stay well
Good to hear that all is well,
Now that's a Gazebo !!!

porkchop61

New Around These Parts
I just bought a C-1 in decent shape to go with my PL400 that I just finished rebuilding.

I’d like to get rid of all those cheap RCA jacks at the same time I’m doing a re-cap.
Does anyone either sell the plates or have a dxf/step/igs file for the design? I can make my own with the CAD file
or dimensioned drawing (I’m an ME/CAD jockey/machinist).

I can design my own from the C-1 I have, but I thought I’d ask before starting down that path.
Do most of you use conductive or an insulated material like plastic?

Thank you.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I just bought a C-1 in decent shape to go with my PL400 that I just finished rebuilding.

I’d like to get rid of all those cheap RCA jacks at the same time I’m doing a re-cap.
Does anyone either sell the plates or have a dxf/step/igs file for the design? I can make my own with the CAD file
or dimensioned drawing (I’m an ME/CAD jockey/machinist).

I can design my own from the C-1 I have, but I thought I’d ask before starting down that path.
Do most of you use conductive or an insulated material like plastic?

Thank you.
I know Perry was planning to make a rear panel, not sure if that got started. @WOPL Sniffer might have an update.

This is what I ended up doing with a bunch of Neutrik "gold" plated jacks from Mouser. While you're at it, be sure to ask Perry about his Filter, PS Regulator, and output resistor boards. I highly recommend that you install these sweet upgrades while the cover is off.

Attachments

porkchop61

New Around These Parts
Thanks.
I‘ve been reading all the threads I can find on upgrades. I had to use the Wayback machine for some of the posts over
at the Carver site as they don’t exist anymore. Some however were never saved so they are gone.

I also like the mod someone did of changing to an IEC inlet in place of one of the bottom AC outlets.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I modeled the jack plate in 1/8" aluminum, so now I just have to make one and order 26 jacks!

I have an aluminum plate made for the C1 if anybody want to copy and produce some. This was one of the best mods somebody came up with and I'm surprised that nobody did much with it. Using varying lengths of this same plate, you can use it to upgrade other Carver models too. Getting rid of the Bean Counter kict in the nuts plastic junk RCA connectors is great. It takes a fair amount of time to do the mod including painting the plate (powder coating would be great too), but it is SOOOOO worth it.

I might have to find me a nice C-1 and mod the shit out of it this winter. Given a couple months of the suckiest weather in the country during Dec/Jan/Feb would give a tech a window to do one up right. The prices are "Right" for a nice unmolested C-1 right now. :)

porkchop61

New Around These Parts
That's my plan as well, a Winter project.
I paid $250 for my C-1 last week as a pawn shop find. I thought that was a fair price for an unmolested example.

I did see someone repaired three traces with buss wire, so maybe it was touched at some point. Did the factory do this
kind of work to salvage PCB's?

All the capacitors should be here tomorrow from Mouser, so I may start re-capping. I'm NOT replacing every resistor with metal films,
it's not worth it in my opinion. Maybe some of the power resistors in the power supply area as needed, but that's it for me.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That's my plan as well, a Winter project.
I paid $250 for my C-1 last week as a pawn shop find. I thought that was a fair price for an unmolested example.

I did see someone repaired three traces with buss wire, so maybe it was touched at some point. Did the factory do this
kind of work to salvage PCB's?

All the capacitors should be here tomorrow from Mouser, so I may start re-capping. I'm NOT replacing every resistor with metal films,
it's not worth it in my opinion. Maybe some of the power resistors in the power supply area as needed, but that's it for me.

You never know what the authorized/unauthorized repair facilities did with broke dick Carver equipment. We've seen some pretty crazy shit over the years, but the power supplies on the C1 need attention (as do many power supply circuits on the carver stuff). Good choice on the resistors. MOST of the resistors are fine and well within specs since they don't generally see the heat issues which cause many failures/drifts/etc... The power supplies were all over the place when measured and they were not stable.