Ben's (BubbaH's) Phase Linear 400 WOPL conversion

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
While it will be "tested" thoroughly here, it has another home after I have played with it a bit. Ill elaborate on that more later in another post.
I guess its time to elaborate. The 400, never was for me. It was an idea my brother and I had concocted one night after a serious drink. The plan basically...get him some real power. At which point I had contacted Lee. While it was never intended to reside here, it would come here on delivery, due to my involvement with the PHorum, and Lee. It was inspected as indicated in the thread, and tied and whipped for about a month, before I knew it was time for it to go home. Rob was up several weeks back and with a shit eatin grin, took his WOPL home.

As to my personal opinion on the 400 from my experience. Intense quality amp. Simply crushed the Crown XLS. Not a comparison. Likely could have crushed the AP800 Yorkville pro amp as well. Standing up against the 1801, not so much. With that said, this is the only amp I have ever heard that has even come close to comparison with an 1801. Stacked against a stock 1801, that margin I believe was small. That little 400 was definitely the best competition its ever seen IMO.

While what I have come to expect from an 1801 was simply there with the 400at lower listening levels, at serious driving levels, for extended periods, the 400, could hold its own, but clearly couldnt keep up.

All things considered these are arguably one of the best amps you can get for your money in this day and age. Stand up quality. Without a doubt better than almost anything on the market in the price range.

After all my personal tests, I dont doubt that a 700, as Lee says, is "double the power" would possibly be able to trump my personal favorite.

Lee man, you made 2 serious audio nuts up in Canada extremely happy with that shit. We thank you kindly, from the bottom of our hearts brother.

Ben.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Thank You Sir!! That's why I do it. Perhaps when the economy improves, there will be a 700 in your future. The difference between a 400 and a 700 really is apparent from the first few seconds, there really is no substitute for massive amounts of headroom. My K's are rated for 100 watts continuous, so it would seem a 400 would do just fine, BUT , when it comes to a transient I can clip a 400, I have yet to clip a 700, and actually I don't believe I ever will and have things still work in the speaks.

It really is a killer combo....

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Thank You Sir!! That's why I do it. Perhaps when the economy improves, there will be a 700 in your future. The difference between a 400 and a 700 really is apparent from the first few seconds, there really is no substitute for massive amounts of headroom. My K's are rated for 100 watts continuous, so it would seem a 400 would do just fine, BUT , when it comes to a transient I can clip a 400, I have yet to clip a 700, and actually I don't believe I ever will and have things still work in the speaks.

It really is a killer combo....
Would love to hear one Lee.

Whoreo

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hi Lee,

Been a while since I was online here. Summer time I spend a lot of my spare time riding my mountain bike and fishing. Was a great summer for both. I work in an office that does not have a window, when the decent weather comes around these parts, I am outside as much as I can be.

Thank you for the amp Lee/Ben.

I will post some videos and pictures in coming days of it in action at the house.

When I first hooked it up and tested it out, apparently the bride could hear it over her computer speakers on the 3rd floor. I will get the camera going one night this week when she isn't around and get those meters moving.

Certainly is a nice addition to compliment greedy 901's - they sure need a lot of a juice.

- Rob

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Owned a pair of 901's meself years ago. Had em paired with a set of ass kicking Magnavox ( yep, MAGNAVOX) speaks that had a 15" woof and some 12" horns. The poor ol Spec2 would run out of juice pushing both. Wished I'd of had a WOPL 1000 back then, that would have been something.

Whoreo

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hahaha thats awesome.

Yeah having more power is always better than not enough. Especially if you like it loud.

What are you rocking for speakers these days Lee?

Whoreo

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Oh okay. You are building your own Klipschorn.

I am about 20 some pages into Kevin's build. Pretty cool.

Question though, I noticed you put a 150 watt 15 inch driver into them but you throw a WOPL 700 to it. How does that speaker handle that much power without popping?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I've popped 4 until I got a handle on it. They take wyyyyyyy more power than they should. Clean power and no clipping makes a big difference....I've been pretty hard on crossovers, with Joe's help, been making them bulletproof too.....

I built mine in 1986. Upgraded the drivers and crossovers 6 years ago...

Whoreo

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thats awesome Lee.

Way to shred the gnar with the kornerhorns! Sounds like a system that is worth pumpin'! Not bad to still have them running after all these years.

I am sure it would go well with some shine and beers.

Also interesting article fittz, thanks.

Whoreo

Journeyman
Tagline
---
And you are running them with a 700 correct?

Knowing how tight this 400amp is and its the first time I could actually feel the sound in my chest with just a set of 901's in my basement. I have no doubt your kornerhorns with a 700 is gnar gnar.