Ben's (BubbaH's) Phase Linear 400 WOPL conversion

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The epitome is running a 700 on em, like I said, I can clip a 400 on em and that aint good. But for normal , during the week listening a 400 is fine.....BUT.....when company is over and I want to blow some shit away it's a 700.

Whoreo

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Right on.

Are you noticing the clip by ear or does the 700 have an added clip feature built in.

I have noticed the 901s clip out pretty quickly with the treble on the 400, not so much with the bass. It's noticeable on the meters though when the clips happen. The meters are interesting to follow because at a low volume the one moves a lot but as it gets louder it tends to sit lower than the other (at louder volumes). Which is the one I can read the clips off of.

For optimal sound on the my set up I find if you dial it in right, you can get both meters sitting around +1, not really bouncing much, but its fucking loud.

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I switched the jumper on the meter board to lessen the sensitivity of the meters. With a 4401 they were pegged all the time.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I can see the clip on a scope, but anytime they are on the speaks it's purely by ear and it sounds like a "crack". There isn't any clip limiter on either amp. The DC protect boards will react to a hard clip or extended low bass note, but it's kinda iffy and shouldn't be relied on to protect from clips. The only thing that does that that is a quick hand on the "V" knob...

Whoreo

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Do you still have the spec 2 Lee?

Yeah so far volume knob wise, I have had pushed it to about 11 o'clock. I have a different series than Ben and sadly they don't have that raw drive like his.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The one I originally bought in 1975 and restored to EW's specs 4 years ago is sold. Chris from Ft. Dodge is coming up at the end of the month to get it. Of the other 3 one is from the rack full of stuff I bought 4 years ago. 50 hours on it and cherry as hell. The 3rd one is missing the back bumpers and not what I would call cherry. The 4th has no rack handles.....

The 50 houerd cherry unit I will have to see if the person who expressed interest in it is still interested. You need to get your butt up here and listen to a WOPL 700 and the new drivers in the K's anyway. You can look at the rest of em while you are here.

mudshark

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
LOWTECH REDNECK
This is true .... been rollin hard for a long stretch, due for a little R&R
When I finish these repairs I would be up for that

mudshark

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
LOWTECH REDNECK
Any more I sometimes find it hard to remember that theres more to life than work
years of conditioning ??? Hard to let up may take years of anti conditioning LOL

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'm finding that's the case. Went to the field today to get a well running cause I didn't want to call out a hand and ruin their holiday weekend.....

mudshark

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
LOWTECH REDNECK
YEP ... Ya know what ya want and need ... simpler and quicker to just handle it and not mess with anyone