Ben's (BubbaH's) Phase Linear 400 WOPL conversion

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
On the 1801, it tells me one channel is louder. I have to adjust gains so they sound right. I will have to isolate the WOPL and the 901's to determine whats going on with it.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Ok...40 year old meters, especially those in the 400 suck.
Hahaha cool Lee. I hear ya, the zero position on one of the 1801's meters is a bit out of whack, and could use to be adjusted. That said, the slight imbalance hasnt bothered me too much up to this point. And it certainly wont stop me from making good use of the beast.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
After some preliminary listening on vinyl, with some clean sounding titles, it was time for a real test. Switched to Aux, loaded a CD. Well shit. Lower level listening made it hard to tell what this amp can do. A little power to it and it really opened up. I have to lower the gains on the 1801, to keep them even sounding, but that said, this thing stood right up there. A huge, huge difference over the Crown XLS 1000. Not even in the same league really. Clean, tight, big sound. I still plan to rotate speakers to see the difference on both sides of the equation, as well, I'd like to make a run with 4, 901's to even the playing field. This amp rocks pretty hard Lee. Definitely put a smile on my face.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fmHCNEDtfd8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Gonna need to adjust them meters.

Edit: The shit bass response is the cam, definitely sounds nothing like that here.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks for the video clips, Ben. As I found out while borrowing Doug's PL amps, the sound in the moderate listening range was my favourite and I would turn up the gain on the preamp, slightly edging into the loud zone, without a hint of breakup. Just knowing it's capable of absurd SPL, while doing it cleanly, is enough for me. Yes, the Scorpions tune was a good pick for the demo, as well as the Dire Straits classic.

After seeing that last clip, I came up with a pet name for your PL 400 - PEG.

Nando.

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Flipped it over before firing up today. Switched that jumper on the meter/light board. This setting is how I like my meters. A little more lazy but when those big hits come, you can see em.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Nice, I have yet to trip mine into thermal protection. I used to be a little worried laying the meters over but now it's just second nature. People freak out when they see that when they are over visiting. They really get this dumbfounded look when I keep turning the volume up and there is no movement LMAO!!! Kind of like cruising a Challenger Hellcat at topspeed