Ben's (BubbaH's) Phase Linear 400 WOPL conversion

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ben's is next. ......It's getting the Rev "D" driver board, Rev "B" backplanes, LED light board, Don's DCP, 18,000uf/80volt Cornell-Dubilier PScaps, MJ21195's and 96 outputs.....pretty much everything we can do...

Attachments

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Friggin cool man. Thought it would still be a while out before you got to it. Cant wait.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Had to kick Doug's mono's to the curb, but he's got himself a WOPL....you don't....then Jase's 3800 etc....

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Cool, I look forward to watching the progress of the build =).

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Lee: Another work in progress. How do you find the time? Of course, it will be a pleasure to see this build happen. Like a few others around these parts, Ben isn't afraid to crank it up on the occasional Friday and Saturday night. Get enough beer into him and he can always do the drywall repairs after a session. Nails or screws in the gyproc, Ben?

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Lee: Another work in progress. How do you find the time? Of course, it will be a pleasure to see this build happen. Like a few others around these parts, Ben isn't afraid to crank it up on the occasional Friday and Saturday night. Get enough beer into him and he can always do the drywall repairs after a session. Nails or screws in the gyproc, Ben?

Nando.
Ha, Nando that's great. I had a good laugh here reading that one. While it will be "tested" thoroughly here, it has another home after I have played with it a bit. Ill elaborate on that more later in another post.

When it comes to drywall Nando, screws only. I rarely use nails for anything. Screws are so much better imo.

Elite-ist

Staff member
You still have the Crown amp, Ben? I am sure you're very curious to find out how the Laatschified PL 400 will compare to your Bose 1801. Your 1801 is one of those amps that seems to have slipped under the radar screen for 70's vintage power amps. I don't understand why, after reading such impressive specs on it.

Sounds like someone is going to be made a very happy camper for what you intend with the new amp.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I love a mystery, it will be built to the best of my ability regardless of where it ends up.....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

Nando.
Ben has shown himself to run to the sound of guns when needed, he truly espouses the Phoenix Spirit...

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I am sure you're very curious to find out how the Laatschified PL 400 will compare to your Bose 1801.

Nando.
The main reason I want to sample a wopl myself Nando.

You still have the Crown amp, Ben?
Yep, its currently running the 901's.

It will reside on the floor beside the 1801, until Bill is done with the one eyed bastard.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ben has shown himself to run to the sound of guns when needed, he truly espouses the Phoenix Spirit...
Yes, he's a true Blue Canadian, Lee. Hold it... is it Blue or Canadian, Ben? Don't worry, I remember some of the pictures with the empties lined up. I just sent Geri out to make a beer run. Off work, showered, into my jammies, and pizza has arrived. And the Vancouver Canucks are playing hockey tonight. See, it's the simple things that gives us, Canadians, the most pleasure and a vintage power amp with enough muscle to pop out drywall nails playing our national anthem is as good as maple syrup on pancakes.

Nando.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Hey Ben, glad your getting one! I think you are going to be astonished just how good it sounds when you get it

Northwinds

Tagline
Just wondered if there was a way to use a light tack material (non conductive) and populate the entire board and then flip so you can just go bing bing bing soldering/clipping as you go and none of the components would fall out? Two hours to do all that work is wicked fast though! Or do you just push everything in, bend the leads and do it all at once? It would be interesting to see the techniques you guys employ to save time. I imagine you all have little tricks that speed things up after building these for so long

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Just wondered if there was a way to use a light tack material (non conductive) and populate the entire board and then flip so you can just go bing bing bing soldering/clipping as you go and non of the components would fall out? Two hours to do all that work is wicked fast though!
Yes Ron
it is a 1" thick anti static foam pad. Populate layer, apply foam pad, flip board over, apply light hand pressure, solder and clip.

Northwinds

Tagline
Yes Ron
it is a 1" thick anti static foam pad. Populate layer, apply foam pad, flip board over, apply light hand pressure, solder and clip.
Thanks Joe, I figured you guys would have a great method to speed up the process. I should have thought about the foam pad myself!