B&K PRO 5 Preamp

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Are you going to give it a tryout before tearing it all apart & start the re capping & pot cleaning & component upgrading?
Take pics as you go! They might help on putting it back together.

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
If you like a preamp that does not add a coloration to the sound, you will be happy with the High level input/output. And if you plan to play vinyl,
there are hundreds of Phono Preamps to choose from. At least you will know the Diana will not be adding any coloration to the added phono pre.

There are no pots to clean, All are sealed. And I wouldn't be "shot gunning" cap replacement unless there is a problem.
My Sumo Diana is totally a stocker, but did need a new four gang volumn pot. Quite a choir.

You did good on the price. This preamp will compete easy with modern ones costing 3 grand or more. One of James Bongiorno's best.

Here some more info for ya.
www.davidsaudio.com/html/sumo_brochure_2.html

Cheers,
Jm

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Are you going to give it a tryout before tearing it all apart & start the re capping & pot cleaning & component upgrading?
Take pics as you go! They might help on putting it back together.
Damn Bradock are you spying on me ? It always chaps my ass when someone reads my mind ! Naw, just kidding but what you say is true. I am going to listen for a good long while first...

Last edited:

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
If you like a preamp that does not add a coloration to the sound, you will be happy with the High level input/output. And if you plan to play vinyl,
there are hundreds of Phono Preamps to choose from. At least you will know the Diana will not be adding any coloration to the added phono pre.

There are no pots to clean, All are sealed. And I wouldn't be "shot gunning" cap replacement unless there is a problem.
My Sumo Diana is totally a stocker, but did need a new four gang volumn pot. Quite a choir.

You did good on the price. This preamp will compete easy with modern ones costing 3 grand or more. One of James Bongiorno's best.

Here some more info for ya.
www.davidsaudio.com/html/sumo_brochure_2.html

Cheers,
Jm
No worrys, even though Bradock is spying on me I wont start shotgunning it . I think I am going to love it. My vinyl set up is going to be the Fisher 500C and an old school table of some kind. Probably an old Dual TT. I have two Dynaco A 25's or some Polk M5's that I am going to try on it. I really really thank you for the link to Davids for the info page on the Princess. I am even happier to see that someone else has one!

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I'm jelly. The Diana has a very large cool factor. Your an audiophile now whether you want to be or not. It deserves thousand dollar 'interconnect' cables ( RCA cords) Or are you going to try the three wire 'balanced' setup?

You now need a shrine centered between your speakers also.

Last edited:

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I'm jelly. The Diana has a very large cool factor. Your an audiophile now whether you want to be or not. It deserves thousand dollar 'interconnect' cables ( RCA cords) Or are you going to try the three wire 'balanced' setup?
No ins on any of my stuff for balanced. Would not know what it meant to be "balanced" anyway. Psychiatrist is trying Lithum, Seroquil, Limictal and Buspar. My attempts at regulating "balance" using Whiskey & Cocaine ended quite tragically years ago. As far as interconnects go I was wondering about that. I guess my homemade Belden/CBI custom microphone cable and Switchcraft RCA/Phono connectors will no longer do. Perhaps some Uranium 235 center core with Woolly Mammoth hair insulators and Siberian Tiger Penis "RCA" Phono Jacks would be in order. :toothy10:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I bet Perry's Carver 4000T is better then most preamps on the market including the Diane. It's not brand specific for use so your comment baffles me but if you got the Diane, I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment :headbang:

Well Ron, it DID sound AWESOME till FedEx played soccer with it. The new owner asked why it sounded like shit and cut out all the time so I had him pop the top.... Yup..... Big damage..... I WILL resurrect her though. The Surround Board should not be laying down on the job like that.

Poor ol' 4000t.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well Ron, it DID sound AWESOME till FedEx played soccer with it. The new owner asked why it sounded like shit and cut out all the time so I had him pop the top.... Yup..... Big damage..... I WILL resurrect her though. The Surround Board should not be laying down on the job like that.

View attachment 31107

That wont happen to the 4000t I'm putting together now. Have RTV, Will travel...... It got the remote treatment too.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
No ins on any of my stuff for balanced. Would not know what it meant to be "balanced" anyway. Psychiatrist is trying Lithum, Seroquil, Limictal and Buspar. My attempts at regulating "balance" using Whiskey & Cocaine ended quite tragically years ago. As far as interconnects go I was wondering about that. I guess my homemade Belden/CBI custom microphone cable and Switchcraft RCA/Phono connectors will no longer do. Perhaps some Uranium 235 center core with Woolly Mammoth hair insulators and Siberian Tiger Penis "RCA" Phono Jacks would be in order. :toothy10:
Lithium can try to kill you after your forties and then they finally figured I have a high-functioning autism thingy. Once it's tried to do sh!t to yer kidneys even onions won't help them.

HUH? There, I save Perry the trouble.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Lithium can try to kill you after your forties and then they finally figured I have a high-functioning autism thingy. Once it's tried to do sh!t to yer kidneys even onions won't help them.

HUH? There, I save Perry the trouble.
Someone should give the lithium to the FedEx guy who stomped on that preamp then, HUH ?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
That is terrible Perry!! This is why I use USPS, never had a damaged electronic unit with them doing the shipping. Both UPS and Fed EX have destroyed several

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That was the first damaged shipment and I ship ALOT of shit. Plus, i use tons of bubble wrap, and foam...... i hate the post office even more than fedex. Twice as expensive, and 4 times as slow. Plus, my whole family filled the ranks of the post office when i was growing up. Talk about postal....