B&K PRO 5 Preamp

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
The Acurus looks like a good unit, several people use them here. I have not gotten one because you can't hook a record player up. You can get away with a little DJ preamp so you can use MM and MI carts but I use a LOMC and that can get expensive for a high quality SUT

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
What is the reason for all the interest in this Acurus preamp ?
Is it the remote ability? Switching functions? Gain? Build quality? Its just a high level preamp (no phono ) so whats makes it better than any other
preamp with high level inputs if you are just playing digital (cd's etc) ?

If you are playing vinyl, its all about the quality of the phono section and the cartridge.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
What is the reason for all the interest in this Acurus preamp ?
Is it the remote ability? Switching functions? Gain? Build quality? Its just a high level preamp (no phono ) so whats makes it better than any other
preamp with high level inputs if you are just playing digital (cd's etc) ?

If you are playing vinyl, its all about the quality of the phono section and the cartridge.
Yes.......

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I still think I'll hijack one of the inputs and build a phono pre into the RL11. Maybe I'll have my favorite engineer gin me up a skizmo and I'll have some boards built and do some research. There IS enough room to mount a stand alone inside it. With enough attention to noise, it is worth pursuing. And, maybe it could include MM/MC both.....

Cool huh?

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Thanks Perry.
The reason I asked. I got a new OPPO 203 for Merry Christmas . So I'm finally going to build an all Digital stereo and surround system
No analog. My vinyl system won't be part of this setup.

So I'm considering the Acurus for digital playback. So have you ever A/B'd the Acurus to just running a cd player direct into your WOPL ?
What is the Acurus adding or removing?

For the price, the Acurus is a deal, compared to some of the new stuff out .

If you want to try something that will give a MC/MM set-up a back seat for vinyl playback, try a Strain Gauge cartridge.

https://www.dagogo.com/soundsmith-sg-220-strain-gauge-cartridge-system/

Jm

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Just read it and then pulled out the manual for the Perreaux SA3 which shows figures below

Frequency Response

20Hz-50kHz +/- 0.25 dB

Noise (Inputs Loaded)

A weighted -108dB

Unweighted -104dB

RIAA Accuracy

+/-0.25 dB

Phase Accuracy

+/- 1 degree 20-20kHz all inputs

Distortion (THD and IMD)

Less then 0.009%, 20-20kHz at rated sensitivity, rising to 0.08% at 15V output at 1kHz into 10k ohms or higher. Less then 0.08% at 100kHz at rated output into 10k ohms

Says also the SA3 can be used with ANY phono cartridge known

So how does that compare as I can't decipher Lee's test readings on the Acurus in the same way as the Perreaux SA3 manual?

BTW, the Perreaux is Dual Mono Class A so I don't know if that makes a difference

Last edited:

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"

Northwinds

Tagline
Geez Lee, figured you would have been the one to decipher the figures in comparison to the Acurus. I have other specs but they are more for the phono sections

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Hi Ron
That Perreaux pre you have is a killer unit man. I'll bet our old ears could not hear a difference between the two.
If it had remote, I would be looking for one as I think its matches the Phase liner amp in style.

I'm running a Sumo Diana preamp. (Thanks Laz).
Class A, dual mono, with a separate Dc power supply. This thing is killer and so rare, I can't seem to find any specs on it.
This is as close to a "Straight wire with gain" I have heard. No phono and not even bass and treble controls.
But no remote feature. So that is why I like the Acurus for what I have in mind for a A/V set-up.

Here is a review you might be interested in Ron,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Perreaux-S...hash=item2134dbab05:m:mi-9HdPPY4GsADGETKPXmpw

cheers,
Jm

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Hi Mike, I have the manual for the SM3 also. It appears that the only difference between the two units is that you can run 50ft wires to a power amp vs the 15ft I can run with the SA3 (I only run 3ft). Otherwise, specs look to be the same. Must have some kind of level boost for longer runs? The SM3 is geared to PRO installation and the SA3 is home audio use maybe? They look identical inside also but there must be some sort of gizmo added to allow longer preamp out runs? There is no tone controls whatsoever on either model preamp

Northwinds

Tagline
I think we did that in another thread...
Not that I am aware of, I did not get the manual until a month or so ago

No worries at all though Lee, I am going to stick with the SA3 and the APT for the garage system. Since I spin records mainly, the Acurus would not fit my system w/o sinking money into a SUT for LOMC carts

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Well, looks like its not going to work out. Fellow had a bite on selling his amp and the Acurus and needed them both to sell together. Oh well, no big deal. I will keep looking. Good thing is the more you guys write the more I know about all the different models. That will make it easier to find a great 2nd preamp.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?