Audio Precision ATS-1 on the bay good deal

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I've been using old analog analyzer's and a Quantasylum QA400 for years now and I've had my eye on the AP systems for a long time. I was able to score one for an amazingly low price off of the bay this past fall. I'm not sure how much of a hurry you guys are in or if you have your heart set on the ATS-1, but the AP System One auctions took a serious drop in sales prices at the end of the summer and into the fall this year. The prices of the S1's on Ebay appear to be back up north of $1k again, but several of them sold down around $500 - $700 back in the fall so I expect that they'll drop again at some point in the future. It seems like late summer is when the auction prices cool off. During that time I saw a couple of the latest production S1's (2002 models) that sold for like $600 - $700.

Back then I did a lot of research on the ATS-1, P1 and S1 and the lack of available software to allow computer control and storage of the test images and data for me made the ATS-1 and P1 much less desirable. Unlike the ATS-1 or P1 the S1 runs via computer using the newer APWIN software which is available for free on the AP website. This gives the S1 the same testing capabilities as the much newer System 2's, but the S2 has better specs of course. APWIN allows you to run tests and store data and test files on your computer as well as print to a modern printer. The APWIN software has some pretty powerful capabilities and is very flexible in setting up tests and saving them to your computer to pull up later. You can also set up macro's in the APWIN software to run multiple tests in a production environment. You have to have an APIB adapter to run the S1 and you either have to purchase one of AP's computer cards or Duke at Sound Logic LA sells a APIB-USB adapter for modern computers and also what I'm using which is an APIB-LPT adapter which uses an older Win98SE computer. The nice thing about the APIB-LPT adapter is that you can also run the older S1.exe software which is DOS based. Running the S1.exe software allows you to enter and run the AP S1 calibrations programs. The calibrations are all automated and pretty much self-explanatory as to what to adjust and where to measure when an external meter is required.

Between the purchase of the AP S1 unit, an old dell laptop that I installed a free version of Win 98SE onto and buying the APIB - LPT adapter software I have just over $500 in the AP test rig. As it turned out the As-Is unknown condition Ebay AP unit I bought was in perfect condition and works great. The APIB-LPT software that Duke sells installed and ran without any issues. I use a USB drive to transfer the AP screen captures and data files between the old Win98SE laptop and my other modern computers.

Just some food for thought.

Thank You for that post....that's a lot to digest..,..

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
AND, for us guys already owning expensive ATS-1's, it's a moot point to buy another test set up if we can get buy taking digital pictures of the screen. The tests are all automated so.......

Tagline
---
Thank You for that post....that's a lot to digest..,..
When I was looking I wish I could've found a thread where someone laid the pro's & con's of the different legacy AP systems out to compare. As it was it took a lot of late nights digging info up between the AP site and other folks posts across many forums to figure all of that info out. There's still some of the older S1 stuff I'm fuzzy on. Some of the older APIB computer cards are not compatible with the APWIN software. The really old S1 model 22's (the non-A models) used a different interface, serial I believe. So people need to be aware of that.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Are the systems you are referring to still serviceable at AP like the ATS-1? That would be another thing to consider.

Tagline
---
Are the systems you are referring to still serviceable at AP like the ATS-1? That would be another thing to consider.
No the S1's are no longer serviced by AP, so that is a caveat. However Duke @ Sound Logic LA is a prior AP engineer and provides service and support for all of these old legacy AP systems including the S1 & ATS-1. He also sells AP parts and refurbished AP systems. Although the ATS-1 can still be serviced at AP, Duke may provide a lower cost option than AP. I cannot comment on his fees for his service so I do not know this for certain, but one would think he would be a little cheaper. I can tell you that he has been quite helpful in getting me started with my AP and seems to have a lot of knowledge on the systems. He also runs a group on linkedin.com called "Classic AP Audio Systems Group LA" where he provides technical info and fields questions from users.

Tagline
---
Nice info mdf - the AP systems are the top of the line for audio testing. Maybe we should do a group buy:
Those ATS-2's have been on there for quite a while. They were on there when I bought my system several months back. I had the same thought as you though about a group buy. If it was a smaller batch of them, like say 10, it might be possible, but 33 of them is hard to find enough interested DIY'ers. Back at the same time I bought the S1 there were a couple of as-is ATS-2's that sold for < $1k so the low auction prices extended to other models.

Tagline
---
Thats surprising! He's responded to me within 24hrs the times I've contacted him. In fact twice he called me instead of responding to my email or post on a thread for info. I got the impression he likes to talk and not type.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well, got an email from Duke and he can not fix it. I sent a message to the service center at AP, let's see how long it takes them to respond, if they even do.

I saw a dual domain Portable One Plus pop up on a new listing yesterday morning. In perfect condition. It lasted About 15 minutes and was gone, $1800.....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Here is what I got back from AP. It MAY NOT be repairable so scratch this one. Well over $1000 for repair IF the serial number is in the right range.

Hello Perry,

Depending on the serial number of the ATS-1 analyzer you have Audio Precision may not be able to repair the instrument. Some of the early models of the ATS-1 are under conditional support. Please send me the serial number of the unit you are looking to have repaired.

If the LCD display on this ATS-1 needs replacement, this has an additional cost of $425.00 for the replacement display that will need to be added to the repair cost.

Audio Precision offers two levels of service. Service A is for repair service with adjustment, this cost $730.00. Service B offers repair service with a 17025 Calibration, this costs $990.00.

Best regards.

John Payne

Audio Precision Global Service Center

Operations Engineer

5750 SW Arctic Drive

Beaverton, Oregon 97005

503-627-0832 ext 122

Direct 503-214-1570

1-800-231-7350

johnp@ap.com

BlazeES

Tagline
---
They've got quite a racket going on over there at AP. Their new 5xx line (... that is touted as the ATS replacement path) has some pretty impressive software that drives the thing but their software licensing arrangement is a total money grab. You get one year of support with the hardware purchase and then they want continued support royalties beyond that. Talk about milking it !

I downloaded the software for free and toyed around with the 'demo' mode. It's pretty polished and blows away what you get with the built-in display of a legacy unit.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Time to raise my prices???? After seeing the price of outputs on Mouser I would have to agree Joe..........

Those are the guys at AP