Audio Precision ATS-1 on the bay good deal

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Mine works great. I even bought one of the new faceplates but the moron packed it shitty and showed up AFU

IS that YOU blowing my phone up Glen???? :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If you were designing stuff IMD MAY come in handy. If we had a problem in that area, what could you do to correct the issue?

IMD or intermodulation distortion is looking for the two tones beating against each other from non-linearities and creating mixing products. This sounds like something your TUBER guys would like.... mmmmmmm, distortion

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Here are your options from AP

AP Service, Repair, and Calibration
Audio Precision offers two levels of service (click table below) for its hardware products depending upon whether calibration is required. Service A does NOT include calibration, nor should it be used to assert or imply calibration status. Service B includes calibration. All calibrations performed at our USA factory are accredited to ISO/IEC-17025:2017 and ANSI-NCSL Z540-1-1994 by the American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA).

Attachments

BlazeES

Tagline
---
So what's the deal with AP? Are they/were they dudes that once worked for Tektronix? (... Beaverton) Anyone know?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There's nothin I could do to correct it fer damn sure, but knowing is knowing...,

grapplesaw

Tagline
---

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Tagline
---
I've been using old analog analyzer's and a Quantasylum QA400 for years now and I've had my eye on the AP systems for a long time. I was able to score one for an amazingly low price off of the bay this past fall. I'm not sure how much of a hurry you guys are in or if you have your heart set on the ATS-1, but the AP System One auctions took a serious drop in sales prices at the end of the summer and into the fall this year. The prices of the S1's on Ebay appear to be back up north of $1k again, but several of them sold down around $500 - $700 back in the fall so I expect that they'll drop again at some point in the future. It seems like late summer is when the auction prices cool off. During that time I saw a couple of the latest production S1's (2002 models) that sold for like $600 - $700.

Back then I did a lot of research on the ATS-1, P1 and S1 and the lack of available software to allow computer control and storage of the test images and data for me made the ATS-1 and P1 much less desirable. Unlike the ATS-1 or P1 the S1 runs via computer using the newer APWIN software which is available for free on the AP website. This gives the S1 the same testing capabilities as the much newer System 2's, but the S2 has better specs of course. APWIN allows you to run tests and store data and test files on your computer as well as print to a modern printer. The APWIN software has some pretty powerful capabilities and is very flexible in setting up tests and saving them to your computer to pull up later. You can also set up macro's in the APWIN software to run multiple tests in a production environment. You have to have an APIB adapter to run the S1 and you either have to purchase one of AP's computer cards or Duke at Sound Logic LA sells a APIB-USB adapter for modern computers and also what I'm using which is an APIB-LPT adapter which uses an older Win98SE computer. The nice thing about the APIB-LPT adapter is that you can also run the older S1.exe software which is DOS based. Running the S1.exe software allows you to enter and run the AP S1 calibrations programs. The calibrations are all automated and pretty much self-explanatory as to what to adjust and where to measure when an external meter is required.

Between the purchase of the AP S1 unit, an old dell laptop that I installed a free version of Win 98SE onto and buying the APIB - LPT adapter software I have just over $500 in the AP test rig. As it turned out the As-Is unknown condition Ebay AP unit I bought was in perfect condition and works great. The APIB-LPT software that Duke sells installed and ran without any issues. I use a USB drive to transfer the AP screen captures and data files between the old Win98SE laptop and my other modern computers.

Just some food for thought.