Audio Precision ATS-1 on the bay good deal

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
You can moan about psycho acoustics as it relates to this particular IMD option's usefulness, but the bottom line - it's a ~500 buck card from the factory.
And if someone is trying to pick one up cheap, knowing what's in there is an obvious good thing - especially if one is going to flip it down the road.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
You can moan about psycho acoustics as it relates to this particular IMD option's usefulness, but the bottom line - it's a ~500 buck card from the factory.
And if someone is trying to pick one up cheap, knowing what's in there is an obvious good thing - especially if one is going to flip it down the road.

Yes, BUT, if i'm buying one of Jer's cars (the one WITH a motor and Tranny), just because it has hydro's on the hooptie, doesn't mean I would pay extra for a worthless option...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
OK, so here is the deal with the new Portable One.... It does Fail 1 test on the Self test

the result of running the test is .21dB it is not a hard failure and it can be adjusted. It was also done cold (warm up time should be an hour)

TEST 5.7 QPK DETECTOR -0.20 dB 0.07 dB 0.20 dB

So this was a SCROE in my book. It should not affect anything. If I wanted to get it cal'd, it would fix it in a jiff. I think I can use my other unit to adjust it bu using the unit for cal.

I tested a WOPL and have the results so I'm going to run it again using the portable 1 and see if anything jump out. Plus, it's in great condition.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I just ran the self test of my ATS-1 and it also "Cold Failed" it was off by .039uv 1.541uv

TEST 7.1B RESIDUAL NOISE 0.000 V 1.221 uV 1.500 uV

I'll let them warm up and test again but I don't think it's worth worrying about. Looks like a little drift and not a "Hard Failure"

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That "Failure" is contributed to the filter used when you are measuring using the WTD (weighted CCIR FILTER), I don't measure using Weighted, I use Unweighted in my tests which means all the frequencies are treated equally and NOT FILTERED. I myself think that doing a weighted measurement just to show a lower negative response is just cheating to make yourself LOOK good. I like to let my work do the talking instead. JMHO

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
After Warm up, the Portable One is right on the edge of the test parameter.

at .2dB

Close enough for now. I'll send it in for cal when I go on vacation. So I am going to sell the ATS-1 (which does pass self test) and works like a charm.

IMG_5415rs (2208 x 1656).jpg

Tagline
---
It certainly looks like you got a steal of a deal. Which is always a good thing where the big auction site is concerned. That P1P looks extremely clean too. I have a feeling a lot of these AP testers spent their lives as shelf queens seeing little use.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
It certainly looks like you got a steal of a deal. Which is always a good thing where the big auction site is concerned. That P1P looks extremely clean too. I have a feeling a lot of these AP testers spent their lives as shelf queens seeing little use.

Yeah, it's not something the average guy would use every day. Going to get some packing material so I can pack the ATS-1, the Akai GX-747, and another R2R I have up for sale.