Audio Alchemy

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Ok, so I got 'em...

I have the DAC/DDE v1.1 hooked up now via optical to my EMU 0404. Max sampling rate on it is 48K (anything higher won't sync up). Soundwise - very nice. Good and clear. Nice to listen to.

Now.. what (in the hey) is that other unit for, and how's it hook up to the DDE? It's optical in looks like a old ST type connector, so I can't plug the SPDIF out from the EMU into it. The coax in's and out's are BNC. Weird... what will that other unit do for me, again? Anti jitter?

In any case, the DAC sounds pretty dang good.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Ok the DTI goes before the DAC. Does the pro have a fiberoptic connection. If not does your component have a Coax connection? the P2S cord hooks the DAC to the DTI. Then that is all you have to do. You will have to push the input button again if you use the coax. Have you tried the 180 degree button.

Yes the DTI is anti-jitter and it does something else. I forget what though.

Larry

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
speakerman1 said:
Ok the DTI goes before the DAC. Does the pro have a fiberoptic connection. If not does your component have a Coax connection? the P2S cord hooks the DAC to the DTI. Then that is all you have to do. You will have to push the input button again if you use the coax. Have you tried the 180 degree button.

Yes the DTI is anti-jitter and it does something else. I forget what though.

Larry
What cable(s) do I use between the DTI and DAC? Just that mini-DIN cable (looks like a mini din)?

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
(dang.. was about to say "I got it", but realized I was listening to my EMU's analog out.. )

Hmmm... well.. that doesn't seem to be working. Here's what I have (gonna stick figure draw it here..)

(source aka EMU)--|optical spdif|-->DTI---|P2S Cable|-->DAC--|RCA's out|-->Preamp

I have a sync lock on the DTI, but no sync on the DAC selecting either input. Also, the one place the "P2S" cable plugs into either unit is labeled "I2S Bus", and even though I would think it would be "input" to the DAC, that I2S Bus receptacle seems to be part of the DAC's "output"???.

I.R. generally pretty "smart" about stuff like this, but right now ... hehe

speakerman1

Tagline
Trust me the I2S is the input from the DTI. On the DAC. you want input light 1 on also in the DTI. Are you getting any sound? Don't worry about the sync light. Do you see the 180 degree switch? You want your glass connection hooked to the DTI and the I2S and RCAs hooked to the DAC. If no sound push the input button on the DTI It has 3 inputs. To find the right input.
Larry

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
The only way I get anything is with connecting the coax output of the DTI via a BNC to coax to the input 2 of the DAC. I tried this, which from what I can tell is what you say will work...

1. Output of EMU to DTI's optical "IN"
2. DTI input 1 selected, causes sync lock to occur on DTI (so far so good)
3. I2S cable from DTI to DAC (nothing else)
4. DAC on input 1

Still no sound from DAC

But.. if I do this...

5. Coax from DTI output (BNC) to DAC input 2 (RCA)

It's good.

On the DAC, I only have 2 inputs selectable... which are either coax or optical. There is no 3rd input via the I2S cable, and the receptacle on the back of the DAC lists it as an "output"...

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
speakerman1 said:
Hi
Whatever works. I'm totally confused. So however you get noise is good.

Larry
Well, just the DDE/DAC alone is purty sounding so I'll go with just that. Listening to some remastered America (Sandman) now, and it really does put a lump in the throat... bee-yootiful sound.

speakerman1

Tagline
OK try it this way. Leave the DAC hooked up Connect the I2S cord to the DTI from the DAC and try it. I had to have had it that way. There is no RCA coax hook up on the DTI it has to go that way. The fiberoptic will make a difference. It is the better conductor.

Larry

speakerman1

Tagline
Mark is going to tell us how to hook it up right. Jerry when I hooked up the DTI it brought out things that I had never heard before. I mean everything got crisp. The cymbals even sounded right there not like they were in the back ground. It was amazing what that little box could do. I already miss it.

Larry

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
speakerman1 said:
Mark is going to tell us how to hook it up right. Jerry when I hooked up the DTI it brought out things that I had never heard before. I mean everything got crisp. The cymbals even sounded right there not like they were in the back ground. It was amazing what that little box could do. I already miss it.

Larry
Well, by going through the route of connecting the coax out on the DTI to the coax in on the DDE/DAC I think I've accomplished the same thing. The DTI is still doing it's thing on cleaning up the clock, right? It should be feeding a clean signal into the DDE, even if going around the block, so to speak.

Yeah... I can tell the difference with the DTI in and out of circuit. Like you said.. the biggest noticeable difference is with the cymbals and how the definition really stands out there. Very impressed!

speakerman1

Tagline
jbeckva said:
speakerman1 said:

Larry
Well, by going through the route of connecting the coax out on the DTI to the coax in on the DDE/DAC I think I've accomplished the same thing. The DTI is still doing it's thing on cleaning up the clock, right? It should be feeding a clean signal into the DDE, even if going around the block, so to speak.

Yeah... I can tell the difference with the DTI in and out of circuit. Like you said.. the biggest noticeable difference is with the cymbals and how the definition really stands out there. Very impressed!
LOL Have I ever let you down?

Larry

theaudiodesigngroupe

New Around These Parts
Hello All

I apologize for not getting here a bit quicker.

It might be that the I2S cables you have are not working properly. I just today sent Larry two more of these - plus some other goodies. He will have them shortly.

The best way is to use the DTI in front of the DDE (DAC) and try to use I2S between them. This bypasses the Input Receiver in the DAC and yields the very best sound.

Many customers though never did this - and they were just very pleased used Coax between the DTI and the DDE. To each his own... :)

I will try to be here for the next few days to monitor progress.

Many thanks,

Mark

theaudiodesigngroupe

New Around These Parts
jbeckva said:
speakerman1 said:

Larry

YES - this method works fine and dandy... but if you want to wrest the very last drop out of this set up - do use I2S between the DTI and DDE... :)

Many thanks

Mark

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
theaudiodesigngroupe said:
YES - this method works fine and dandy... but if you want to wrest the very last drop out of this set up - do use I2S between the DTI and DDE... :)

Many thanks

Mark
Hi Mark,

Is the cable basically the same as a PS2? Just curious. But why do I see the receptacle on the DDE listed as an output when by all rights it should be the input from the DTI? Does the cable have to have a crossover connection between data out and data in? I have two inputs on the DDE (1 and 2) - which one? And should I get a "locked" indication on the DDE when it's all hooked up correctly?

(sorry for the rapid-fire group of questions, but this one's a little bit confusing... :study: )

Thanks!

theaudiodesigngroupe

New Around These Parts
jbeckva said:

Many thanks

Mark
Hi Mark,

Is the cable basically the same as a PS2? Just curious. But why do I see the receptacle on the DDE listed as an output when by all rights it should be the input from the DTI? Does the cable have to have a crossover connection between data out and data in? I have two inputs on the DDE (1 and 2) - which one? And should I get a "locked" indication on the DDE when it's all hooked up correctly?

(sorry for the rapid-fire group of questions, but this one's a little bit confusing... :study: )

Thanks!
Good Morning CC...

Gosh - even I'm confused by this... :)

The DDE is what model exactly... I don't remember having any DDE's (DAC models) with I2S outputs... inputs YES, but not outputs...

Can you give me more information.

As well... the connector is a modified s-video connector...

Many thanks

Mark

speakerman1

Tagline
jbeckva said:

Many thanks

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thanks!
Good Morning CC...

Gosh - even I'm confused by this... :)

The DDE is what model exactly... I don't remember having any DDE's (DAC models) with I2S outputs... inputs YES, but not outputs...

Can you give me more information.

As well... the connector is a modified s-video connector...

Many thanks

Mark
HEY Mark
He has the 1.5. I have a 1.0 here that says output also.

Larry