AM Listening

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
speakerman1 said:
I have to quit looking at vinyl. Guess I'll take the PL and start making money as a DJ. Why not. Since I'm such a people person. LOL Back to Day Tripper. Who Da King is pretty good. LOL

Bought this one. Do you think the Price is wrong?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380413456232?ss ... 1497.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry
No, my Best Buy was blowing them out for $1.99. I picked up 3 copies.

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
My turntable is out of commision so I haven't even opened one. The track I heard on the radio from it was ok, but nothing to write home about.

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
I think 5 buck plus shipping isn't a bad price, if you like the music that is. If you don't like the music, $2 would still be too much. =)

That GEM. Reading about it, it looks like it could be potentially one of the best cleaners. If you check out "How Vinyl is Made" on YouTube, you'll see that somewhere in the mastering process, actual cleaning and prep looks similar to the GEM. Ive seen no vacuums in that process in any of the vids.

Still, there is this whole convenience factor, with vacuum types winning in that area and still reported as good performers. Could even use both, but the less convenient my approach to vinyl becomes, the more desirable a good CD player looks. =)

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
You buy a lot of used. So they have to be cleaned most of the time. That is one reason I buy new. I look at it as an investment. I think on most that I buy I think on some I could list them and get more than I paid for them. I have to stop. LOL Just bought a Porcupine Tree 4 LP Box set. LE. I'm washing my diapers and micro clothes with Ivory Snow. Will dry w/o out a sheet. They are more absorbent w/o them.. Do you have a sprayer on your sink. Buy their cleaner. You can get label protectors.

Larry

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
speakerman1 said:
clhboa said:
My turntable is out of commision so I haven't even opened one. The track I heard on the radio from it was ok, but nothing to write home about.
What is wrong?

larry
I ruined my Stanton Groovemaster II. I bought 2 different cartridges and they both sound like crap. I'm hesitant to buy another cartridge right now. I don't want to spend money on another cartridge that sounds crappy.

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
No p-mount. I tried another cartridge similar to the Stanton (inline, no alignment necessary). Now I have a Goldring 2400. It doesn't sound much better. No bass, and you really have to crank the volume up to get any oomph at all. I tried a different phono stage but no luck. Needle Doctor suggested a Nogaoka. Just haven't wanted to spend the money right now. I've got a Technics SL-1210MK5. The Goldring was aligned by KAB so that shouldn't be the problem either. I'm not very experienced with cartridges so it's a little intimidating.

speakerman1

Tagline
Is it both channels? When I first hooked the Micro up. I had my Grds all together one way and it bdidn't sound good at all. I swapped the grds around a few times till it sounded great. I have a Sure M97 xe and a Red Music Hall you can try if you want.

Larry

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I'm still learning on carts too (along with all else) but I'll bet that Shure would work nice on a DJ style table and arm.

About new vs used Vinyl Larry, I buy both. Without counting I'd say maybe 50-75 new, all bought within about a years time. But I do have a lot more used since sometimes it feels ok to grab 10 at a buck a piece, and I've got to hear a lot that I would never have dropped big money on. I at first refused to get new at first, but then my son bought me Abbey Road and a double LP of the Foo Fighters for fathers day. It got me wanting more.

speakerman1

Tagline
Pure_Brew said:
I'm still learning on carts too (along with all else) but I'll bet that Shure would work nice on a DJ style table and arm.

About new vs used Vinyl Larry, I buy both. Without counting I'd say maybe 50-75 new, all bought within about a years time. But I do have a lot more used since sometimes it feels ok to grab 10 at a buck a piece, and I've got to hear a lot that I would never have dropped big money on. I at first refused to get new at first, but then my son bought me Abbey Road and a double LP of the Foo Fighters for fathers day. It got me wanting more.
I'm not using it on a DJ table. Try one and see. Cheap tweak. I'm tracking at 1.25. Not many DJ carts track that light. This is what I doing this morning. Going to try the Zevon LP again. The VH LP is a little darker than most I have. Little cloud cover this AM. So we are flying a little low. LOL

Larry

Attachments

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Which Warren Zevon are you listening to Larry?

I just heard him do a cover of Casey Jones by the Dead yesterday on XM Grateful Dead station. but hey, the Indigo Girls did a cover of Uncle Johns Band, and it really wan't that bad. lol

Jim

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
I have been using those type of brushes for years, I use it in addition to the brush that is already on my XSV-3000 cartridge. You will be surprised how much those little bushes and the pad pick up even on what was a clean record. And I hit every record with my Disc washer prior to play.

Jim

speakerman1

Tagline
Fairchild said:
I have been using those type of brushes for years, I use it in addition to the brush that is already on my XSV-3000 cartridge. You will be surprised how much those little bushes and the pad pick up even on what was a clean record. And I hit every record with my Disc washer prior to play.

Jim
I know that is where I saw it was on your table.