700B blew one Right channel 5A supply fuse

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Agreed, but it's a little unnerving for that first two seconds till you KNOW that bulb is beginning to dim.....

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
A variac would be nice to have and I'll look into one more closely as this is not the first time using one was suggested for a repair project.

Any recommendation on that big capacitor - (1) 10,000 Mallory vs (2) 15,000 MF, brand unknown?

Speaking of those capacitors, since they are rated at 100V and I measured 103V & -103V at their terminals, would that not dictate using capacitors of a higher voltage? Unless my logic is flawed, 100V capacitors in a 103V circuit is right on the edge of the margin.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Gary, if you'll look back over my posts, I said I have some 160 volt/15,000uf caps from a group buy here that I will send in the box for 30.00 each...

And you are correct, a 103 +/- circuit calls for a higher rated cap...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Check with lee to see if anyone bought the one Mark Lucitt was selling in his big sdale here...if not you should invest in it. Someday I will have one as well but on less than $750 a month I have fo to get creative.

Fortunately I am way too creative.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Thought I was reading your posts pretty thoroughly but I overlooked that one. Yes, two of those 160V jobs would be most appreciated. Let me know by means of your choice, what the total is and I'll send it tomorrow.

Orange, I too am not rolling in it which is why I haven't gotten a variac before. What I've seen around here were all well over $100. Spotted one at a flea market last summer that looked brand new but the guy wanted $200 for it.

There's one advertised on Amazon right now for $56 + $14 shipping but it's probably no good for amplifiers. http://www.amazon.com/Variac-Variab...00445421&sr=8-1&keywords=variable+transformer

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Correct, you need a 10 amp. 2 caps @ 30.00 each and 30.00 for the care package...caps are Nichon-Chemi-Con....Jap caps.../.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
There was a nice 10 amp variac that member mlucitt was selling for 50.00 and that was including shipping, but it didn't last long....

62vauxhall

Tagline
I'm a member of an antique radio museum and earlier today I dropped off an old tube amp to be scope checked for a hum. It occurred to me that someone there may know the whereabouts of a 10A variac for cheap so I just sent them an e-mail. I'll ask again when I pick up the amp.

It's an interesting place with a growing pile of old stereo gear. Even though audio is not their concern, the stack has increased to the point where it's not possible to see more than one side of it. Too bad they won't cut any of it loose - I've asked. There's a few pieces in there I wouldn't mind having.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No, all donated, Even though their focus is radio, they don't refuse anything. There's stuff stored too in other rooms off the public's path. One room I've been taken in is their tube stash - tens of dozens maybe hundreds of boxes of them.

It's the type of place where pictures don't do justice, you have to see for yourself.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Really can't say, just speculate. It's been around a long time and as mentioned, the stock in trade is all manner if radio. I think at one time, they may have made an attempt to "display" some of the older 50's & 60's audio pieces (because it's on shelves) but no one there seems to have much interest in it. Maybe whoever it was that attended to the audio moved away or passed on. The shelves have long been filled, they keep getting more, it's being stacked in front, no one pays attention to it and the pile gets bigger and bigger.

A couple of years ago, I asked to buy an old tuner which they had two of so I thought my chances were good. After weeks, my request was put to the directors and I got turned down because at some time in the future, they may make audio stuff more prominent and were therefore reluctant to part with anything. It kind of sucks because they sold/sell some of the large and not so large really old radios. I know this because I donated one made in 1936 and they were glad to get it saying they only had one other example and mine was in better shape. I fully expected to see it at some time restored and functioning but when I asked about it, was told another member bought it.

If they ever do properly display any audio gear it will have to be in a different location because right now, the place is crammed wall to wall, floor to ceiling everywhere with mostly radios. I know they've been under threat of forced relocation but that's been so for a number of years. Maybe they're waiting for that axe to fall and hope that where ever they end up is larger.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Gary, don't buy anything else for that 700 till you get the care package....it might contain everything you need.....

62vauxhall

Tagline
No worries. Not planning on getting any parts you don't tell me to.

Facing this Phase Linear again made me remember that I have a complete set of incandescent bulbs for it. I got them on E-bay before I sent the amp for the professional help in 2010 where the one can got replaced. Some lights had been out for while and this seller claimed he had the last remaining factory correct 700B bulbs. Never did get around to putting them in.

That may have been before using LED's for displays was common practice.

Another problem going for service was a stuck meter. I asked the tech to fix it which he did and in doing so, replaced the dead lamps. Illumination was irregular afterwards.

Not LED's but at least when these new bulbs are in, brightness will be equal across the front.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
When you can spring for a Joe LED board, it's a good upgrade...

BTW....my care packages are legendary...

62vauxhall

Tagline
Great, thanks! Didn't think you'd ship before payment. I'll send it to you in the morning $30 for parts + $60 for the big caps, right?

Since you shipped FedX, is that to my home address or to Sumas?

Speaking of Joe, one of my questions at the beginning of this tread was about the White Oak PC board. Is that what I'll wind up with after installing these new parts?

NavLinear

When you can spring for a Joe LED board, it's a good upgrade...

BTW....my care packages are legendary...
One major thing to consider when choosing between incandesent bulbs and LEDs is that the incandesent bulbs give off enough heat that can cause the plastic meters to become brittle.

I've received a care package or two from Lee - you'll be suprised.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Great, thanks! Didn't think you'd ship before payment. I'll send it to you in the morning $30 for parts + $60 for the big caps, right?

Since you shipped FedX, is that to my home address or to Sumas?

Speaking of Joe, one of my questions at the beginning of this tread was about the White Oak PC board. Is that what I'll wind up with after installing these new parts?

No, but, there'll be a pretty big change in the low frequency response and when you grow tired of that and want to step up to state of the art amplification, YOU CAN!! What is in the care package I can't say, but as Nav eluded to, it's a surprise. There are things in there that will make no sense until they are explained....

I shipped to the Sumas address. And it doesn't matter if you pay before I ship. I have NEVER had someone who becomes a member and posts NOT pay me.... just doesn't happen...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
One major thing to consider when choosing between incandesent bulbs and LEDs is that the incandesent bulbs give off enough heat that can cause the plastic meters to become brittle.

I've received a care package or two from Lee - you'll be suprised.

Gary, Nav's care packages are 2nd only to Ed Blackwood, now THAT GUY sends a CARE PACKAGE!!