700 Series II Build

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
This new Weller WX2 iron is working out very well.

It's the closest thing I've experienced to a Metcal used in production environments. I just cant justify the cost of a Metcal, even used, for home or hobby use (not that the WX2 is by any means cheap).

In my distant past (Motorola Automotive), I spent significant time in the assembly plant helping techs and production engineers analyze ICT and final test failures. I tought them failure analysis, they tought me soldering and repair techniques.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Chassis assembly has started.

Going with a barrier terminal block for terminating the transformer.

Edit: In true Phase Linear fashion, this transformer was wired with the solid conductors closest to the core. All others I've worked with had the striped wires at the core. I guess I should not be surprised, considering it was most likely not specified combined with the use of non-polarized plugs at that time.

Drilled out and chamfered all heat sink TO-3 mounting holes for correct aliment with chassis.

Started AC wire routing and incorporated one of Don's Triac power switches.

Lots of fun new updates on this build...

Last edited:

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Your wiring dressage is very nice. I run the White Ground wires along the Top of the Chassis because the runs are shorter, the Ground wires are inert to the circuitry, and the bundle at the bottom is smaller.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Your wiring dressage is very nice. I run the White Ground wires along the Top of the Chassis because the runs are shorter, the Ground wires are inert to the circuitry, and the bundle at the bottom is smaller.
Running the grounds along the top would make the bundle smaller, but I prefer bundling wires with opposite current (DC Rail feed and Ground return) to help minimize radiation and coupling.

Running DC Rails along the bottom and Ground return along the top potentially creates a large loop antenna within the chassis.

Edit: This is the kind of thing I wish I had a QuantAsylum QA403 audio analyzer to measure and quantify different wiring layouts. Not that I doubt Joe already has this system optimized, I just enjoy learning pros\cons of different ideas.

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Running the grounds along the top would make the bundle smaller, but I prefer bundling wires with opposite current (DC Rail feed and Ground return) to help minimize radiation and coupling.

Running DC Rails along the bottom and Ground return along the top potentially creates a large loop antenna within the chassis.

Edit: This is the kind of thing I wish I had a QuantAsylum QA403 audio analyzer to measure and quantify different wiring layouts. Not that I doubt Joe already has this system optimized, I just enjoy learning pros\cons of different ideas.
You have nailed it. I have verified with my Audio Precision that bundling them lowers noise and everything else. keep then together and as far from the op amps as possible. Raising the control board 1/2” helps as well

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You have nailed it. I have verified with my Audio Precision that bundling them lowers noise and everything else. keep then together and as far from the op amps as possible. Raising the control board 1/2” helps as well
Eric already has that extra lift Glen. He is using the WO chassis that comes with the longer standoffs.