700/B/Ser II Transformers

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Anybody know the Specs on the 700B/Ser II transformers? If a guy wanted to find a replacement (does NOT have to be the same form factor i.e... Torroid can be used) that will do the same job??? Secondary meter output is not necessary but would be cool. Any Ideas?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I'd say Ed would have the answer to that question. I wondered the same thing in the past if you have one that is buzzing or dead. If you still have Bob Carver's auction link, you might ask him also. Lets just hope he does not tell you they are adamantine though LOL. I think you would have to find one in the 600-700VAC range though right? A 600VAC one will give you 350wpc from what I am reading

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Get a couple 1000 volt/amp toroids with 120 volt primaries and a ceter tapped 162 volt secondary. Rectified voltage should be +,-, 113vdc...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Get a couple 1000 volt/amp toroids with 120 volt primaries and a ceter tapped 162 volt secondary. Rectified voltage should be +,-, 113vdc...
Thanks Lee, I only had some tranny's made of kryptonite with vaporlock secondary's...... I used them to make a million watt amp built in a band aid box..... Made the speakers from reinforced Cracker Jack boxes with 25" woffers.....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
get a couple? What, one for each channel?? Naw, should be just one for both channels like the tranny's we use now right???

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe and I discussed this years ago and I think, THINK, they are 1.5kva, so a couple would be good. Have separate caps and rectifier , then parallel AFTER the rectifier. The 700 should double down into 4 ohms, but can't, runs outta gas....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'm sure you can get whtever size toroid you wanted, found 4 pretty cheap a couple yerars ago for the monster monos, gonna have to build those one of these days. Check Apex jr.com

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, been wanting to build a HUGE monster amp. Just for shits and grins. I been looking at skizmo's on the net but you know how that goes. Probably sound like the guy from Tull in the first part of Aqualung.... I would hate to use a layout just to find out it sucks. I'm not an engineer but I did stay at a flea-bag the other night..... Gotta be analog. Tubes in my book are over rated. They sure look cool though. Hell, maybe with the leftover lights from decorating the tree I can just spruce up a WOPL....

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Joe and I discussed this years ago and I think, THINK, they are 1.5kva, so a couple would be good. Have separate caps and rectifier , then parallel AFTER the rectifier. The 700 should double down into 4 ohms, but can't, runs outta gas....
Just what the doctor ordered!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Nope, standard chassis for each channel with an outboard power supply for each one...4 enclosures...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Perry if 850 watts or so at 8ohms is enough for your needs I have some control boards the convert a phase linear into doubled output in mono. Two boards one in each of two PL amps give you 859-900 watts each channel. So you can use both as a stereo or mono. I have some boards. This is the same set up as your buddy Bob put in the Carver c-500. Pm me if want more info.

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That sounds like a custom wind (Cha-Ching) at the transformer shop. A 120 to 230 step up is fairly common, a 120 to 162??? Lee, why 162 and not 200???

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Because you're getting close to the swing voltage total of 250 for the 21196's, and that's what the guy had for 29.95 each....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
No luck Lee finding anything REMOTELY close to 120VAC Primary with a Secondary in the area of 120VAC-160VAC with center taps

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm sure you can get whtever size toroid you wanted, found 4 pretty cheap a couple yerars ago for the monster monos, gonna have to build those one of these days. Check Apex jr.com
Lee, did those have a manufacturer and a part # on them??? I cant find nothing.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
That link to Apex jr, then click on the toroid pic, manufacturer is Keen-Ocean....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Those are cheap ($29.00) and MADE in cina. their site sux, not much for specs no datasheet. I hate to but that stuff when I can't research it. Keen-Ocean has a shitty site too in Hong Dong Kong. Nothing but a picture of a transformer.