phase linear 400

gene french

Veteran and General Yakker
guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
Yeah Gene.
Got rid of the contractor grade power strips.
Put in two Furman PS-8R Series Two.
They are the 15 amp models.
There is a 20 amp pro version with the 20 amp plug, but I went with 15 amp because I have two available 15 amp outlets.
They advertise "power conditioning", but I'm a skeptic. I'd go with a couple massive isolation transformers instead.
I bought them because of the sequential equipment power on function.
They have a jumper across the back, so they are slaved to each other.
Eight outlets across the back and one in front of each unit.
Press the master bright orange rocker switch on, and the front outlet and rear outlets 1+2 become hot.
Press the sequential start switch on either unit (they're slaved with a jumper on the back) and rear outlets 3+4 on both units become hot.
Stand back, and in 5 seconds (a internal adjustment) outlets 5+6 on both units become hot.
Wait another 5 seconds, and rear outlets 7+8 of both units become hot.
System startup is complete.
Preamp, MiniDsp, tuners, turntable, are powered on first in both units outlets 3, 4, 5, 6. That's eight outlets in two Furmans.
The four amps, a 700 Pro WOPL, two 400S2 WOPL, and a 300S2 get powered dead last in the sequence on outlets 7+8. That's the last four outlets on the two Furmans.
Shut down is the reverse.
Hit the power sequence button, amps get turned off, then everything else in sequence.
No pops, no power surges. Proper start up and shutdown every time.
Now the bad.
These old Furmans are still bringing good money on the Bay.
They'll need recapped at a minimum due to age and the fact they came with no name cheap caps.
They're loaded with relays, two SIP resistor packages, a timer IC, a opamp, handful of transistors.
I got the cheapest units I could find that weren't totally scraped up.
One just needed a recap, the other needed a recap and the timer and opamp IC.
Couple months back I replaced both power rocker switches. Exact replacements are available from Digikey or Mouser.
I really like them, a must have with a four way active system.
That's appx 1800 watts in 8 channels going to 8 drivers. Nothing is in-between the amps output and the drivers. No caps or resistors, just Monoprice wire.
Power strips just wouldn't cut it anymore.
i was just reading...and i see similar on amazon and ebay....thanks so much for the tutorial...
i feel exactly as you do...i like the sequence powering...and line conditioning...although i am sure not as good as isolation transformers...but, the are pretty costly....
i will do more research....too often i buy quickly only to find a better opportunity that i wish i would have waited for....
thanks for the info!!!!
again, very helpful...
what i would really want is a diy kit...but, so far no luck finding one...nor plans for one...
but, i will search more...
pura vida!!!!

George S.

Nothing wrong with the Furmans. Middle of the road quality. Very serviceable, decent boards and good relays.
They skimped on the caps like many manufacturers do.
I looked and read a good bit before pulling the trigger, and rebuilding them was a satisfying project in itself.
With your electrical service and monkeys in the trees and wires, I'm not sure they're a right fit for your situation.:)

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I have the system at work on a Juice Goose. Don't need the sequencer part but it works as a good remote/surge protector/conditioner?. the key switch/status lights are mounted in a 4 square box downstairs while the amp lives in a rack upstairs and gets balanced feeds from the mixer/subwoofer.

gene french

Tagline
Nothing wrong with the Furmans. Middle of the road quality. Very serviceable, decent boards and good relays.
They skimped on the caps like many manufacturers do.
I looked and read a good bit before pulling the trigger, and rebuilding them was a satisfying project in itself.
With your electrical service and monkeys in the trees and wires, I'm not sure they're a right fit for your situation.:)
your suggestion??

George S.

Read and think about it before pulling the trigger.
There's a lot of junk out there,
Read reviews and forums
See what the recording studio guys were using in the past and what's recommended now.
Today I'll read and learn about Kyles Juice Goose.
I went with that model Furman because I wanted power sequencers, had decent reviews from US recording studio guys.
They don't have good reviews from overseas where they're running on 50 Hz. The transformers reportably buzz and are annoying loud.

gene french

Tagline
all of my system is running off of one breaker along with the needs of the den..i think its a lot ...and dont like everything powered on with one switch....sometimes an amp has to be recycled...i feel its a dirty startup...and truly believe i would benefit from sequencial power up...with line conditioning...i am running the following in the entertainment center....
4 mono blocked haflers...3 phase linears...tv...preamp...equalizer...fm tuner...dsp...dac....ir remote volume control...
i have eaton type 2 whole house protection in breaker box...and type 3...often multiple protectors in series, everywhere...i installed inrush limiters and movs in some of the equipment...to protect from our unstable power ....a recent lightning strike took out the whole internet relay station including two solar panels...this new power conditioner with sequencing would further promote equipment preservation...it certainly cant hurt....thanks for the advice ...i need it!!!
all suggestions sincerely appreciated...

George S.

A clean start up and shut down. Yes, that was the goal.
A better option I think would be a dedicated electrical sub panel in the wall and multiple dedicated outlets.
I actually need two. One in the "media room", and another in the garage. Will get there eventually.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
all of my system is running off of one breaker along with the needs of the den..i think its a lot ...and dont like everything powered on with one switch....sometimes an amp has to be recycled...i feel its a dirty startup...and truly believe i would benefit from sequencial power up...with line conditioning...i am running the following in the entertainment center....
4 mono blocked haflers...3 phase linears...tv...preamp...equalizer...fm tuner...dsp...dac....ir remote volume control...
i have eaton type 2 whole house protection in breaker box...and type 3...often multiple protectors in series, everywhere...i installed inrush limiters and movs in some of the equipment...to protect from our unstable power ....a recent lightning strike took out the whole internet relay station including two solar panels...this new power conditioner with sequencing would further promote equipment preservation...it certainly cant hurt....thanks for the advice ...i need it!!!
all suggestions sincerely appreciated...
What's that one breaker rated for? George has the absolute best idea. Separate sub feed and panel with breakers...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I have 240 going to the rack supplied by 2 40 amp breakers in the main panel, then distribute 2- 120's at the rack. Left side taking one phase and the right side the other phase. 16 outlets total on the back of the rack..
#8 wire from the panel, #10 for the 120.

gene french

Tagline
I have 240 going to the rack supplied by 2 40 amp breakers in the main panel, then distribute 2- 120's at the rack. Left side taking one phase and the right side the other phase. 16 outlets total on the back of the rack..
20 amp breaker....
running new wire there would require loosrning the tin...vaulted ceilng...no attic...but, ive done it before to run network cable for cameras, cat 6 for ethernet to tv...and fm antenna cabling....need to install zipper...
i still want sequencing...gotta help a bit...

gene french

Tagline
thanks for the description!!!