The Fleatique Phase Linear 700 B

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Scott congratulations, not only for the fix, but getting through all the sometimes conflicting fix it help!!

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
First two rows of outputs are installed. Dim bulb good and DC offset <10 mV on each side after each row installed. :rabbit:

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
All the outputs are now reinstalled. Had good dim bulb and DC offset after installing every row of outputs.

DC offset now measures -11.6 mV on the left channel and -1.8 mV on the right at the speaker outputs. The service manual says anything below 50 mV is good.

Is this amp ready to hook up to a pair of speakers and give it a road test? Or, are there some other things I need to check first (don't have a scope)?

To recap the work done to date on this amp:

• This amp had ~90 V on each speaker output when I got it
  • Recapped the PCB PL20 with Nichicon UKW and UFG series caps
  • Replaced Q1-Q4 on both sides
  • Replaced the 1N4004 rectifiers on the back board (ones I removed were good)
  • Replaced D5 and R16 on the right side after frying them with a new Q4 installed backwards. This also fried the new Q1 and Q2 on that side, so had to replace them again.
  • Replaced Q5 on both sides of the board and new 2N3439s and TO-5 3 ring heatsinks (the pulled Q5s were not bad I learned after removing them).
  • Strapped C6 on both sides of the board with reversed polarity pairs of 1N4148s (thanks for this tip @laatsch55) to prevent latching to the rails
  • Installed 10 new MJ21196G outputs in the left channel.
  • Cleaned and installed new micas and silicone heat sinks on the original right channel outputs (all tested good)

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Oh well.......patience was never one of my virtues.

SHE LIVES!!!!!

P1010978.jpg

Now I need some new power supply caps and a White Oak light board.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I'm gonna say it before Joe does........"Looks like that amp could benefit from a new White Oak Light Board"

How'd I do?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I'm gonna say it before Joe does........"Looks like that amp could benefit from a new White Oak Light Board"

How'd I do?
Yup, and a real control board in it. Along with a set of awesome backplane boards to make it full comp.

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Joe, tell me more about the back plane boards.

I definitely want to do a White Oak light board and PL14_20 Control Board. Does the board mean the DC protection circuit offered by Watts Abundant is not necessary?

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Your DC offset numbers are very good considering you are using a one-sided phenolic slab of junk with mostly 35+ year old components! The improvement in sound quality (clarity, crispness, separation, low frequency solidness, and high frequency directivity) will amaze you. Well, forget the high frequency part if you have hearing like Lee and me. But I swear, I can hear the rivets dancing in the splash cymbals during drum solos with my White Oak Audio-equipped PL 700B.

Mark

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe, tell me more about the back plane boards.

I definitely want to do a White Oak light board and PL14_20 Control Board. Does the board mean the DC protection circuit offered by Watts Abundant is not necessary?
No Scott, Joe has not incorporated any DC protect in any WO component yet...

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Installed the White Oak LED white light board today. The new illumination looks very nice.

The WO PL14_20 board came today. Will have something to do next weekend. :happy7:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
OH, JOY< RAPTRE!!!! Another chance to convert another one!! Scott, you'll be tickled!!

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Stuffed the resistors and diodes in the board today. Have breathed enough solder fumes for now. Will probably get back at it tomorrow.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
So how's it coming on this? The 700B is a beautiful amp, I hope to have one someday full WOPL ballz

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Finished stuffing and soldering the board today. If anyone sees any glaring errors, please speak up. Am pretty confident it is good to go though. Will try installing it in the 700 B tomorrow.

P1020009.jpg