The Fleatique Phase Linear 700 B

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
So here's my story......once upon a time (actually about 3 weeks ago) I was walking through the local flea market/antique store and saw a pretty nice looking PL 700 B sitting on the floor. It has a $50 price tag on it and the booth was selling everything for 20% off that day. So, I made the purchase. The seller had taped a piece of paper to it that said "1 channel not working, may need new output transistors, transformer good".

I've done a lot of restoration work on vintage tube amps. But, my work on 1970s vintage solid state is limited to a full restore on a Pioneer SX-636 I bought new circa 1976, a full recap of a Pioneer SX-1010 and miscellaneous other work on a few other SS integrated amps and receivers.

Did not have a dim bulb tester when I started working on this amp, but built one soon after doing much reading on the mighty 700 B. The first time I powered up the amp (no dim bulb tester) it vaporized the 10 amp line fuse.....dimmed my work bench lights too. :confused3:

I then discovered somebody had replaced the 5 amp supply fuses with 20 amp fuses. My guess is because they fit and can be bought at most auto parts stores, while 5 amp AGX fuses typically have to be ordered.

Following the service manual to test the outputs, I found all the outputs in the right channel were good. But the left channel had lots of blown outputs. Diode test results are shown below. Look like only two of the outputs are good and the others are shorted or open. The results were obtained by placing the red and black probes on the emitter and base pins. What I've read tells me the case is the collector.

Left bank - top to bottom
0.480 V
0.000 V
0.488 V
0.000 V
0L.

Left middle bank - top to bottom
0L.
0L.
0L.
0.000 V
0.000 V

I bought ten new TO-3s per @laatsch's recommendation.

Later p
ulled the right channel TO-3 outputs and diode tested them between the emitter and base pins. Here are the results.

Right bank - top to bottom
0.494 V
0.493 V
0.484 V
0.481 V
0.482 V

Right middle bank - top to bottom
0.483 V
0.492 V
0.483 V
0.484 V
0.488 V

I've also completely recapped the PCB PL-20 and am 100% certain all the new polar electrolytics are installed correctly (learned to pay attention to polarity details a long time ago).

On a whim I put a new Q2 in the left channel. AT that time @laatsch recommended I power up the amp on the dim bulb tester while the outputs were removed and test the DC offset at the speaker terminals. No problem, light burned bright, then dimmed down to nearly nothing. However, got
+84.4 V on the right and -88.3 V on the left. Ouch!!!!

Then @laatsch and @d3milay on AK helped me understand the pin out on the new Q2 signal transistor is different from the original GES 97. I had read the service manual page 32 incorrectly.

Q1-Q4 have all new been replaced with new parts using @laatsch's recommended part numbers. If I have to pull these transistors to test them, my philosophy is to go ahead and install new ones for long-term reliability.

D9 and D10 and all the rest of the small diodes on the PCB tested good in circuit.

Pulled the germanium Q8 and Q9 on both sides and diode tested them.

Q8 left channel = .224 V, .222 V
Q8 right channel = .207 V, .204 V

Q9 left = .158 V, .153 V
Q9 right = .159 V, .156 V

Have I mentioned yet soldering on this PCB is a pain in the rear. Solder pads and traces lift at the drop of a hat.

Pulled and tested the 1N4004 diodes on the back wall. They all tested good, but I had new ones on hand so replaced them.

At this point (outputs still removed) decided to bring it up on the dim bulb test again. Bulb burned bright, dimmed a little bit, then burned bright again. R16 smoked itself. Hand was still on the dim bulb switch, so immediately turned it off when I saw R16 give up the ghost. All of this took about 2 seconds probably.

So, something is evidently now wrong on the PCB. Am I certain all the signal transistors are installed correctly? About 99.9% because I checked and rechecked my work. Am I sick of soldering on this original PCB? Yes, without a doubt!!

Is it White Oak PCB time?? Talk amongst yourselves and let me know what you think. I'm leaning that way.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, it appears you are getting acquainted with everything Joe has been trying to correct in this american Icon. Don't think that by just putting a WO board will cure your problems. Making the factory board work is making sure it wasn't something else that could wipe out the WO board on power up. A WO upgrade is a wonderful and very surprising endeavor. YOU WILL be amazed at the end result. But as you are seeing, all good things require work.

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Looks like you in for a stretch of aggravation but in the end, the reward will make it all worth while. I wish I could find one of these for less then $50!!!

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The resistor that gave up the ghost is R16 at the top right corner of the PCB PL20. R16 is attached to emitter of Q5.

@d3imlay on AK (don't know if he is a member of this forum) suggested "It's likely that Q5 failed and possibly R14, D4, D5. Test them in circuit.".

I don't intend to continue pursuing the repair of this amp on AK, so wanted to bring you guys up to speed on what has happened so far.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The resistor that gave up the ghost is R16 at the top right corner of the PCB PL20. R16 is attached to emitter of Q5.

@d3imlay on AK (don't know if he is a member of this forum) suggested "It's likely that Q5 failed and possibly R14, D4, D5. Test them in circuit.".

I don't intend to continue pursuing the repair of this amp on AK, so wanted to bring you guys up to speed on what has happened so far.
Yup, responded same on your other thread...

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks Gepetto. My work this week is 12-14 hour days. So, it will be the weekend before I get to spend any more time with this amp. I truly do appreciate all the sage advice received so far and that will be forthcoming.

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
In circuit test results.

Right side of the board when looking at the component side (I am assuming this is the right channel)

R14 - 3k and climbing slowly (should be 3.3k)

R16 = 32.8 (should be 33.0) <- This is the resistor that smoked, but it still tests good.

D4 = 0.57 V forward bias, 0L reverse bias

D5 = 0L forward bias, 0.94 reverse bias <- this is a potential problem, right?

Q5 = 0.54 V forward bias and 0L reverse bias
Q5 = 0.53 V forward bias and 0.53V reverse bias on the side connected to R16 <- this is a potential problem, right?

Left side of board
R14 - 3.3k

R16 = 33.4

D5 = 0.54 V forward bias, 0L reverse bias

Q5 = 0.53 V forward bias and 0L reverse bias

Just a reminder, the left channel of this amp is the one with all the blown outputs.

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I just discovered the new Q4 signal transistors I installed are backwards. Did not notice the old Q4s were not original. Had been installing the flat side of all the other new transistors (Q1, Q2, Q3) rotated 180 degrees (facing the opposite way of the old ones) to get the pin out to be correct. The old installed Q4s didn't need to be rotated 180 degrees. So, I have to pull the new Q4s, test them and reinstall them correctly if they are still good.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I just discovered the new Q4 signal transistors I installed are backwards. Did not notice the old Q4s were not original. Had been installing the flat side of all the other new transistors (Q1, Q2, Q3) rotated 180 degrees (facing the opposite way of the old ones) to get the pin out to be correct. The old installed Q4s didn't need to be rotated 180 degrees. So, I have to pull the new Q4s, test them and reinstall them correctly if they are still good.
Q4 should be an MPSA92 or MPSA93

what are you using?

Sorry, iPhone got me on earlier post...

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
In circuit test results.

Right side of the board when looking at the component side (I am assuming this is the right channel)

R14 - 3k and climbing slowly (should be 3.3k)

R16 = 32.8 (should be 33.0) <- This is the resistor that smoked, but it still tests good.

D5 = 0L forward bias, 0.94 reverse bias <- this is a potential problem, right?

Q5 = 0.53 V forward bias and 0.53V reverse bias on the side connected to R16 <- this is a potential problem, right?

Left side of board
R14 - 3.3k

R16 = 33.4

D5 = 0.54 V forward bias, 0L reverse bias

Q5 = 0.53 V forward bias and 0L reverse bias

Just a reminder, the left channel of this amp is the one with all the blown outputs.
D5 being open will allow Q5 to smoke R16. That is a problem. D4 and D5 form a clamp that keeps failure in this circuit under control. They serve no other purpose and really are not needed. I believe they crept into the PL design when PL was having problems with latch up and slamming to one rail or the other, but that is just my hunch.

BMWR75

Journeyman
Tagline
---
D5 being open will allow Q5 to smoke R16. That is a problem. D4 and D5 form a clamp that keeps failure in this circuit under control. They serve no other purpose and really are not needed. I believe they crept into the PL design when PL was having problems with latch up and slamming to one rail or the other, but that is just my hunch.
I used On-Semi MPSA18s for Q1 and Q2 and MPSA92s for Q3 and Q4.

@laatsch55 previously suggested in the AK thread "If Q5, Q7, or Q10 is toast, replace Q5,Q10 with a 2N3439, and Q7 with a 2N5416".

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Yes this is a problem with Q5 if you are saying the B-E reverse bias reads 0.53V

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Scott, Q5 requires a heatsink if a 2N3439 is used there.

Joe---and that still didn't stop the occasional "Laatsch-up"

BUT-your use of the back-to-back 1N4148's on C6 DID.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Scott, Q5 requires a heatsink if a 2N3439 is used there.

Joe---and that still didn't stop the occasional "Laatsch-up"

BUT-your use of the back-to-back 1N4148's on C6 DID.
Correct Lee, I do not really think PL understood what was going on...

That one set of diodes is a magic fix that was elusive to them for the entire production run up to the PL36. They got lucky there with an op amp substitution that was latch up proof.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Actually NTE sells a better one NTE part number-NTE401.

Last edited: