Who has Decks and What Kind

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Hello Nando:

As you may remember, I used to have way too many. At one time I had over 80 pieces of classic audio at home until my wife said: "Enough!" My goal was to have all Naks models and I nearly fulfilled that,plus Revox, Tandberg, Technics, ADS, Pioneer, Aiwa, etc. I kept just a few, but its is growing again so I will have to get rid of some. I still have a B 215, Nak ZX-7, ZX-9 and 600. Pioneer 1250, Aiwa AD-F800 and ADS C-4 like new that I'm selling for $275.00. View attachment 9119 View attachment 9120 View attachment 9121 View attachment 9122 View attachment 9123
MY 'slider' is a Pioneer CT-3000 I bought from Nakdoc! I have to fix a CT-F650 and 2121 plus a 7171 and rebelt a few 80s and nineties dual decks...a 900 would make my day as would a CT-20, -40 or similar silver-faced 80s Pioneer.

Getting my Onkyo back will be groovy too!

Tagline
---
More Toys...

Here're more toys:

My tape editing block back from my in-cassette duplication years when I started with a bunch of Nakamichis MR-2. The Technics 1700 auto-reverse I bought it while living in Napa Valley years ago. I sold it to the owner of a very prestigious speaker brand. He wanted to use it in their booth at CES. I don't know if he finally used it. Very nice guy indeed. The Otari 5050 bought it from a guy in Florida. Long gone. The Dragon was use as a master maker for in-cassette duplication and was bought from Audio Classics in th 90s'. Gone. The 9900 was my dream of a cassette deck but it soon became a pain in the ***,so, long gone. :confused2:

Attachments

orange

Tagline
That 9900 pic is REELY TEENY!

I am waiting for a 45.8 lb box today from Fedex with my Teac 2340...

Nick Danger

Hey! You were supposed to find me a nice Pioneer 1000...ha! My 1250 needs a motor overhaul and fortunately the guy from Utah told me to just send the motor and he'll do it. I'll try that.

Regards!
Sending a motor to our friend in Utah, too. If all goes well with the first rebuild, I have a bunch more transport motors for him to tackle. :toothy10:

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Well, about two years ago you missed out on two CT-F1000s for sale at Innovative Audio. They both sold immediately after the results were posted of the Cassette Deck Shootout we did there. At $275 each, you couldn't have gone wrong. My CT-F1250 is still chugging away. Hope you get yours back in order.
Nando.
That is a beautiful deck nando, first time I have watched one in action and would love to own. They are very hard to find with good heads. I'd like to show you how to record the sound from that unit directly into your sound card on PC and then sync it with a separate video recording like I do with my youtube videos but the process is way too complicated. Took me a while to figure out, tape decks are much harder than vinyl to do because you have to sync the video almost perfectly to the vu meters moving up and down to the music.

What I normally do is record the video on the camera starting it 2 seconds before the track starts, at the same time record it onto pc at 24-bit/96khz. Copy the video to the pc and look at how long the video goes for. Note at what point the sound starts on the video. Make sure the start delay is around the same time on the audio file, get rid of the camera sound and insert the direct line in recording on the sound section of the video to be mastered, then fine tune the sync (to the millisecond) using a video editing program (I use Tmpeg Video mastering works). Its easy now cos I've done it 100's of times, getting the most out of youtube's crappy audio/video compression by injecting that huge 24-bit/96khz audio file into the video I upload, the better the source the better the result. Sometimes youtube knocks the sync out by up to 50ms because they compress the video/audio with their own format so the video can stream.

orange

Tagline
Me TOO!

I can't afford a smellphone on disability and cannot find my charger for the Mavicas...

The takeup spindle came bent (only one of five sent) and when I lift the right side arm the capstan turns but what is really confusing me is that the tables are turning in opposite directions at one point.

It seems to work okay otherwise but I cannot get a reel on the spindle.

He said to have Sam bill him for the part(s) and Sam says he was about ready to part my old chassis so I probably got lucky with timing.

It could've used more packaging and tape to keep it secure and in place so itmoved in the box and the spindle went through triple wrapped bubbles and got bent. The other one is okay.

It'll survive. He also told me the other day to pay the phone bill down first, which I did. I only owe ten-12 bucks now.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That is a beautiful deck nando, first time I have watched one in action and would love to own. They are very hard to find with good heads. I'd like to show you how to record the sound from that unit directly into your sound card on PC and then sync it with a separate video recording like I do with my youtube videos but the process is way too complicated. Took me a while to figure out, tape decks are much harder than vinyl to do because you have to sync the video almost perfectly to the vu meters moving up and down to the music.

What I normally do is record the video on the camera starting it 2 seconds before the track starts, at the same time record it onto pc at 24-bit/96khz. Copy the video to the pc and look at how long the video goes for. Note at what point the sound starts on the video. Make sure the start delay is around the same time on the audio file, get rid of the camera sound and insert the direct line in recording on the sound section of the video to be mastered, then fine tune the sync (to the millisecond) using a video editing program (I use Tmpeg Video mastering works). Its easy now cos I've done it 100's of times, getting the most out of youtube's crappy audio/video compression by injecting that huge 24-bit/96khz audio file into the video I upload, the better the source the better the result. Sometimes youtube knocks the sync out by up to 50ms because they compress the video/audio with their own format so the video can stream.
Thanks Derek. The CT-F1250 had been my main recording deck when I first became involved in exchanging mixed tapes with members. But once I delved into Dolby C recordings, I had to defer to my Esoteric, as the 1250 lacked that type of NR.

I would love to be able to feature the same quality video clips you can create. Thanks for the tips. It make take me awhile to do it, but once done I can be more proficient.

Nando.

Nick Danger

Thanks Derek. The CT-F1250 had been my main recording deck when I first became involved in exchanging mixed tapes with members. But once I delved into Dolby C recordings, I had to defer to my Esoteric, as the 1250 lacked that type of NR.

I would love to be able to feature the same quality video clips you can create. Thanks for the tips. It make take me awhile to do it, but once done I can be more proficient.

Nando.
Let me know if/ when that 1250 needs a new home.....:toothy10:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Let me know if/ when that 1250 needs a new home.....:toothy10:
Nick: It's my first born. How can I get rid of my first born! It sounds like you might be making progress on your pod of Pioneer CT-F900s. Are you going to see how the first motor rebuild goes, then farm out the others to your contact in Utah?

One of Ben's (Parnelly) blues mix tapes:

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

Last edited:

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Ohh... The Blues, mixtape I sent out to members of TH last summer. I sent out 6 of those tapes, dubbed from an Ampex 7" reel. Those tapes were made on the Yamaha, and it sure does sound fine in your Pioneer deck Nando. Replacing the KX, with a more suitable deck for swaps, is something im considering. The KX is my first and only 3 head. I really like the tapes it makes, played back on it. It will always be a fixture in the system, even if I cant use it for swaps.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ben: One of the best Blues tape out there. I took more video clips of your Blues Mix than any others.

Click on images to play videos:

Who seemed to have got it all started was TH member, Kelv, who got the multiple mixes out to members, early on. Since then, there have been a number of people, like yourself, who like to create more than just the one tape from a Master. That is quite a step up from the single tape exchanges we had all been doing.

I would be very interested in knowing which deck you would get. Anything in the under $1000 category, if you had the choice?

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Great vid's Nando!

I havent put much thought into another deck at this time Nando. I'd love to have a newer Pioneer 737 or something similar. 3 head decks arent easy to come by around here. I will definitely be coming in way under the 1000$ zone. 2 to 300 would be my max. Definitely staying away from Naks.

One of my audio goals this year was to fix gear. I have several pieces needing attention. When the 1801 is ready, I will be having the speed issue corrected on the PL-71, at which time I will also be having a belt replaced on my Kenwood table. The technics will be passed on to Rob, and I will be using the Kenwood until the 71 is ready. Somewhere in there I need to get my RT1011 out to Leon, and late this year put the other 1801 in for a channel rebuild. By setting this goal of repairs, I pushed out any purchases this year. I have stuck to that so far, only having bought the 707 for Rob. I plan to continue with this idea, so it will be early next year before I look into purchasing another deck, unless of course something falls into my lap.

Elite-ist

Staff member
That's a very good plan, Ben. There's nothing better than having the old stuff working up to snuff. Repairs can cost as much as finding another donor component. It's best to stick with what you have, than to chance another purchase. If I was able to find a Pioneer Elite CT-91 or 93 I could live with that.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I could certainly live with that deck as well Nando. Elite gear is even harder to find around here. ES seems to be more available. Id prefer a Pioneer though.

Tagline
---
1250 Up & Running again!

My CT-F1250 up and running again after a couple of hours. Definitely, this motor rebuild is not for the faint heart. I concluded that it's better to pay the $50.00 to the guy of Utah. Anyway, I did it and here she is singing again!

Attachments

Elite-ist

Staff member
I could certainly live with that deck as well Nando. Elite gear is even harder to find around here. ES seems to be more available. Id prefer a Pioneer though.
My best friend has a Pioneer CT-900S... at least, I think it's that model. He bought it new and still has it. He was big into Pioneer Elite gear, and had much more than I do now. I may convince him to sell it to me, and offer him another of my cassette decks.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
My CT-F1250 up and running again after a couple of hours. Definitely, this motor rebuild is not for the faint heart. I concluded that it's better to pay the $50.00 to the guy of Utah. Anyway, I did it and here she is singing again!
It's good to see you have it back in service. I still love this model of deck. I, originally, bought mine for $325. There's not much you can buy for that type of money, today.

Nando.

Tagline
---
It's good to see you have it back in service. I still love this model of deck. I, originally, bought mine for $325. There's not much you can buy for that type of money, today.

Nando.
I agree. The problem with the so called "restored" units is that if they don't perform the motor refurbish and the heads are not good, what's the use? I saw one at ebay that the guy took everything appart and clean, replace belts, re-solder some critical points etc. BUT, ... he didn't touch the motor! You know what is going to happen after playing a couple of hours continuosly..she'll stop!

Too bad...:pukeright:

Elite-ist

Staff member
So the lesson, here, would be to start with what you can't replace - specifically, a good set of heads. Even, the Dolby IC could be the next part for consideration. If anything else can be rebuilt, then you can pursue going further into a rebuild/restoration on a cassette deck without cause for concern that your money hasn't been spent well.

Nando.