Rek O Kut B-16H Disassembly for resto

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Finally started by doing the disassembly of the TT and I'm starting with the motor assembly. First thing, the 2uf oil filled motor start cap is leaking so I need to address that right off the bat. Anybody got suggestions? I'm sure it needs to be there as the motor is pretty big. Does it need to be oil filled or can something be sub'd in? I'd like to keep it period correct but I hate oil caps.

Motor Cap 2.jpg
Motor Cap 2.jpg Motor Cap 1.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You can sub Perry as long as you observe the working voltage ratings. I do it with my big Dewalt motor capacitors to get rid of the original oil types.

Some of those old oil types contain hazardous oil inside so beware.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Okay I just woke up. That’s an Ashland synchronous motor, that’s the motor run cap, replace with another oil filled motor run cap like from an HVAC supplier or something. And I think PCBs taste sweet (don’t eat)
Yep ... that's why I posted the link to what we'd use for an air handler motor. Glad we agree ;)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was surprised, the TT looked typical for an unmolested 65 year old table. I didn't take any pics if the plinth since it looked so bad, I figured it had to go for paint/powder. But, since I didn't have any snow to blow, I got out the 409 and a toothbrush and proceeded to scrub a dub dub..... It's got 2 small chips in the paint and although I am not to partial to an industrial gray paint job, it looks pretty nice. I'll have to see how the tone arm cleans up but I can air brush that easy enough and it's free. Onward and upward.............

ROK Plinth.jpg

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it