Need help verifying if the PL14_20 Control board kit will work in my 400S2

dmccan13

Journeyman

dmccan13

Journeyman
While I have attention, I got the chassis RCA jacks replaced today and was trying to replace the fuse holders since they are, of course, beat the hell up. I tried to desolder them with a weller 1010 set to 730F, got a little soak on the wick, but really those joints just laughed at me. I'm concerned about jacking up the heat because I don't want to smoke the wire, but is that the right solution? Is this a special solder I need to get when I get the new fuse holders in? Thanks mucho guys

dmccan13

Journeyman
Personally, I cut the wire right at the solder joint, then desolder, as it reduces the mass that needs to be heated. But then, I replace all wiring, none of the old gets reused.
I was thinking about that. It's probably a good idea considering what this has been through. I appreciate the help!

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
While I have attention, I got the chassis RCA jacks replaced today and was trying to replace the fuse holders since they are, of course, beat the hell up. I tried to desolder them with a weller 1010 set to 730F, got a little soak on the wick, but really those joints just laughed at me. I'm concerned about jacking up the heat because I don't want to smoke the wire, but is that the right solution? Is this a special solder I need to get when I get the new fuse holders in? Thanks mucho guys

I bust them out and put real ones (to fit AGC fuses) in it. If you can find one of the guys here with an extra transformer, get it. That on is on the edge of what I'd consider useable. Actually OVER the edge.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The heat to get the fuse tails loose needs to be dialed WAY up. Ya gotta do it. If you use some heat sinks on the wires, you can save from all that solder wicking up the wire and fuckin things all up.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Worse part about it???? The dildo's at PL who couldn't solder for shit, wrapped the wire around the fuse holder connector several times (Just like the thermal cut offs) thinking the connection was awesome which...... IT WASN'T.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Worse part about it???? The dildo's at PL who couldn't solder for shit, wrapped the wire around the fuse holder connector several times (Just like the thermal cut offs) thinking the connection was awesome which...... IT WASN'T.
And then painted them with some red finger nail polish.

dmccan13

Journeyman
I bust them out and put real ones (to fit AGC fuses) in it. If you can find one of the guys here with an extra transformer, get it. That on is on the edge of what I'd consider useable. Actually OVER the edge.
That's exactly what I plan, have them ready, just have to bust the others out. The transformer...damnit

dmccan13

Journeyman
The heat to get the fuse tails loose needs to be dialed WAY up. Ya gotta do it. If you use some heat sinks on the wires, you can save from all that solder wicking up the wire and fuckin things all up.
Forgot about heatsinks, duh! Thanks for that! Guess I'll try to go nuclear in the morning. And yeah, I'm no pro, but the soldering in there is, ummm, not what I'm used to seeing.