Need help verifying if the PL14_20 Control board kit will work in my 400S2

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yes, those are the drivers, on a quasi-comp amp those are the ones you want...no...they are not the same..

dmccan13

Journeyman
I really never expected to get so much so fast from this site. I've learned a lot over the last couple days, gained some confidence, and have really moved forward on this project faster than I expected. I was expecting deadtime until the board arrived, but this has been incredible. Thank you guys again

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I really never expected to get so much so fast from this site. I've learned a lot over the last couple days, gained some confidence, and have really moved forward on this project faster than I expected. I was expecting deadtime until the board arrived, but this has been incredible. Thank you guys again
We try to make it easy peasy...

dmccan13

Journeyman
While I have the cooling fins off, can/should I paint the transformer? It's got a thick layer of rust. I've started to pull it off, but want to protect it once I get the rust off. I was told they were shellacked from the factory. Is that the better route?

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Wait for the veterans, but most likely it’s ok to blast and paint the end cap. The core may have to be handled differently.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
What the hell happened to it?

The end bell yes, go for it. Recommend taking it off.

Be careful with the laminations. Each is insulated from each other and you do not want to ruin that insulation with too much aggressive rust removal. Use a wire brush and go gently in the direction of the laminations. Paint it gloss black after you get the scale off to hide the residual discoloration.

dmccan13

Journeyman
What the hell happened to it?

The end bell yes, go for it. Recommend taking it off.

Be careful with the laminations. Each is insulated from each other and you do not want to ruin that insulation with too much aggressive rust removal. Use a wire brush and go gently in the direction of the laminations. Paint it gloss black after you get the scale off to hide the residual discoloration.
Roger that. I like to think I rescued it. And honestly if it were in any decent shape there's no way I could have afforded one. Most of my gear has been castoff stuff. Kinda picked the wrong time to get into vintage. I hear about the old days when you could find a mint pioneer sx-1980 in a goodwill :)