Phase Linear 4000 Restoration

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Did you know it existed before this Ed?
Lee,

No I did not.

NOTE: The photos in the previous post were taken from the ebay ad copy.

I also went through all of Dean's documentation years ago and scanned whatever I didn't have and this version wasn't in his collection either.

Many of my other original service manuals also came from Brad R. who worked with Dean in the service department as well as (1) or (2) other former employees.

There are still about (15) other owner's and service manuals as well as sales brochures that I am looking for originals of (to replace my photocopies). A fair number of these are the later pro series and what we unofficially called series 3 (which followed the series 2 products).

At some point I'd like to make them all available for free on the internet.

Ed

Last edited:

BlueCrab

Journeyman
Very interesting... Truly looks like it was meant for publication and distribution. This has probably been asked and answered, but what was Phase Linear's method of assigning serial numbers?

BlueCrab

Journeyman
That answers it! Thanks for doing the search and pointing me in the right direction. Odd scheme, but encodes month and year in the s/n.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
That answers it! Thanks for doing the search and pointing me in the right direction. Odd scheme, but encodes month and year in the s/n.
Your welcome. Glad it helped, lots of info here, oldphaser is full of much knowledge as are many others on the site.

BETALI

New Around These Parts
Lee,

No I did not.

NOTE: The photos in the previous post were taken from the ebay ad copy.

I also went through all of Dean's documentation years ago and scanned whatever I didn't have and this version wasn't in his collection either.

Many of my other original service manuals also came from Brad R. who worked with Dean in the service department as well as (1) or (2) other former employees.

There are still about (15) other owner's and service manuals as well as sales brochures that I am looking for originals of (to replace my photocopies). A fair number of these are the later pro series and what we unofficially called series 3 (which followed the series 2 products).

At some point I'd like to make them all available for free on the internet.

Ed
Hello

Does anyone has the contact info for Dean who used to run Phasetek? Many years ago he serviced the Phase Linear 8000 turntable that I have. I need another service call for the 8000. Thanks.

v65magna

Journeyman
Marco,

Lots of comments and questions from your (3) posts. It will take a while to reply to them all.

I took a look at my (2) 4000 series 1 (Lynnwood Washington) owner's manuals and indeed they incorporated the comments about the "extra long connectors". However, I didn't see anything about the "UTILIZATION OF THE TAPE MONITOR PATH FOR AUXILIARY EQUIPMENT" as is noted in my previous post. The list of manufacturer's and models under "cartridge loading adjustments" is more extensive in the addendum (noted in my previous post) than Phase Linear had in the subsequent owner's manuals.

Yes Phase Linear had problems with the RCA jacks in the 4000 series 1 preamp as well as the 2000's. By the time of the series 2's they used a different type of RCA jack which had a plastic body and which was also secured with a screw on the back of the chassis. The 4000's that I have seen people add RCA jacks by mounting them to the back panel tend to be a bit ugly. Also a bit harder to service down the road. The original jacks also had shorting capability when not in use. If my memory serves me correct if you take a look at the jacks and the circuit board traces and you will see the inputs have a shorting capability when not in use. The tape 1, tape 2, main and auxiliary outputs do not.

Phase Linear also used (2) different models of RCA jacks. One has a round hump. The other is square.

So how might mounting RCA jacks (like a Switchcraft 3501FR?) directly to the rear panel affect the performance of the preamp? Could there potentially be some ground loop issues if the jacks aren't isolated (say with fibre washers)? Is there enough clearance between the center distance of the holes for any style of RCA jack? Without the shorting capability (or using a male shorting plug) could there be an increase in the signal-to-noise ratio, crosstalk or RFI? I don't know all the answers.

By the way, I have approximately 100 new old stock original RCA jacks. So I am good to go for a while.
Just wondering if u would sell a few of those rca jacks I need 2 I would appreciate it big time

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
I confirm everything .
Shorting capability is necessary only with phono inputs if not used .
In this case use shorted RCA male plugs . See , for instance , Yamaha , Pioneer preamps.
If you replace RCA connectors use a type with two plastic washers .
The connection between ground and chassis must be only the screw in the middle
of the rear panel .
Ciao
Marco

v65magna

Journeyman
I confirm everything .
Shorting capability is necessary only with phono inputs if not used .
In this case use shorted RCA male plugs . See , for instance , Yamaha , Pioneer preamps.
If you replace RCA connectors use a type with two plastic washers .
The connection between ground and chassis must be only the screw in the middle
of the rear panel .
Ciao
Marco
Thanks Marco for your reply , there’s 2 rca inputs in the back of my 4000 ones broken aux and the other one is missing phono 2. They are the round plastic ones ,, would u have 2 that u would sell to me ,, is it possible to switch them out with the aux out , also would u know the voltage for that little led that flashes when u turn up the unlimited threshold

v65magna

Journeyman
Thanks Marco for your reply , there’s 2 rca inputs in the back of my 4000 ones broken aux and the other one is missing phono 2. They are the round plastic ones ,, would u have 2 that u would sell to me ,, is it possible to switch them out with the aux out , also would u know the voltage for that little led that flashes when u turn up the unlimited threshold
5998D856-5CCA-4F0D-922D-BFC98725D1B1.jpeg

Attachments

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
Just found 4 pieces in a decent state .
Please send me your address , so probably I'll send you RCA connectors tomorrow morning
Ciao
Marco
Ps : I don't understand the question about the Led .
Leds have the same voltage drop depending of colors
Red is approx . 1.6 V

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Thanks Marco thank u so much how much u want for them $$$

Unless you want the BOT's to haunt you for the rest of your life, use the PM function to get ahold of somebody. An email, phone number or address is dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
It's fixed bud. PM Marco for personal correspondence involving addresses or email. Just trying to keep the spammers away from your door bud.

v65magna

Journeyman
It's fixed bud. PM Marco for personal correspondence involving addresses or email. Just trying to keep the spammers away from your door bud.
Thank u very much I appreciate u doing that for me I’m new this site , I don’t want to get anyone in trouble for my mistakes , it will not happen again peter

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Peter, you would not be getting anyone in trouble, only phone and email scammers would be up your ass...
No biggie man, its covered..