700/B/Ser II Transformers

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I stripped a couple of PL4000 pre amps. Now I have a lot of switches knobs and other good parts. The power plugs are from that.

Please Send me me details on the soft start units you bought Perry

The plan is on using part of the PL4000 the case and both top and bottom plates. I will marry the side brackets to the back of a 400 chassis. I plan on the a shield wall between the Toroid and the rest of the unit made from part of the old chassis. . This will also support the toroid

I will have 8 drivers per rail. Should be more than good for 600 amps at 8 ohms.
I will have 8 drivers per rail. Should be more than good for 600 amps at 8 ohms. Watts right???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291781294188?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I have not bought the soft starts yet but these are them. Just need to solder the 110 volt jumper.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
550-560 is all you're gonna get with the rail voltage those toroids will put out....should be around +/- 118VDC....

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
550-560 is all you're gonna get with the rail voltage those toroids will put out....should be around +/- 118VDC....
Ok

somewhere I had a heard rail voltage of 130 each

checked your math and look right on. This is basically a single channel Dual 500 then, which is good for me. I could power subs at either end of the room this way, as if I need those now.

Just looks like a fun project

Perry there will be 16 total drivers per channel 8-mj21195 and 8-mj21196. More than enough. The phase 500 has 18 per channel.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Ok

somewhere I had a heard rail voltage of 130 each

checked your math and look right on. This is basically a single channel Dual 500 then, which is good for me. I could power subs at either end of the room this way, as if I need those now.

Just looks like a fun project

Perry there will be 16 total drivers per channel 8-mj21195 and 8-mj21196. More than enough. The phase 500 has 18 per channel.

Glen, see post 3 and 23. Lee had indicated about + and - 113VDC for these toroids. As for above, using a 700 backplane set and the Mono Control boards I got from you, it will have a dozen each 95's and 96's..... (That would be correct?????)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Actually, if you parallel both backplanes of a 700 you only need 2 drivers and 20 outputs, the other driver pair spaces are left empty...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Actually, if you parallel both backplanes of a 700 you only need 2 drivers and 20 outputs, the other driver pair spaces are left empty...
Lee I think Perry is building a bridged two channel amp the has one channel out of phase. So you can run it as a stereo amp but when connect the two hots as the speaker wires and have no bond to ground this is were you get about three time the output at 4 ohms mono amp. So Perry is hopefully building the full comp setup which has 12 and 12 outputs. Four are driving the base of the remainder.

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Glen, see post 3 and 23. Lee had indicated about + and - 113VDC for these toroids. As for above, using a 700 backplane set and the Mono Control boards I got from you, it will have a dozen each 95's and 96's..... (That would be correct?????)
That is the way I see it. You can run that board with one inverted channel with a full complimentary setup.

the new Totoids will put out about 10 % more rail power that the 700's. These new mj21195/96 are 1-1/2 higher power rating than the original 9415's so they should handel it.

Got out to control the heat if you are going to run wide open continuously. I have been looking at some water cooler jackets to glue to the existing heat sinks. There are many styles and shapes available Aavid make very nice ones but at a high price. The jackets atttach to a pump and then a water cooling tower. My kid has this for his CPU on his way over locked computer

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Gotta see this.....

A 21196 will only swing 250 volts MAX, that gives you +/- 125vdc.....

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Gotta see this.....

A 21196 will only swing 250 volts MAX, that gives you +/- 125vdc.....
So Lee with 120 volt rails on the dual 500 gives about 65 volts at the emitter output. If we bridge that may double the output to 130 volts theoretical max. The mj21195/96 is tasted 250v max at emitter
And 400 v on the base and collector. Have I missed something? I am not expecting 200 plus on th output.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
My original plan for doing these mono's was building a power supply that would double down into 4 ohms, and drive a 4 ohm load hard all day. Bridging an amp brings with it inherent limitations. Low impedence loads are one of them. You also double the noise and distortion. Paralleling the outputs into one channel will spread a 4 ohm load over the entire backplane. The 21196's are going to be pretty close to their theoretical max SOA. So I was hedging my bets. My bud in Phoenix, Stephen , wanted an amp to drive his K-Horns as well as a set of Bryston 7BST's. A monster mono won't do that, the 7BST's are a 900 watt mono, but not near the power supply, nor do they sound as good to my ear or Stephen's either, thus the order. He has a little 400 I did for him and he loves the sound, a standard WOPL 700 in his application would not have lived very long, IMHO, his either.
So......You go with only one Zoebel network between the two backplanes. Parallel the output sections, use only the right hand side of the control board. To parallel the output sections, use a good jumper from one "output" hole to the other, the same output hole the speakers are tapped to...Joe explained it to me once and we'll have to check with him again , but that's the gist of the conversation.

Glen , those toroids are only 624va under load. You won't get much more than a standard 700 current wise, that's why I was going with 2 per side....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lee??? You don't sound enthused.... Cmon, what gives??? I'm always open to whatever.... I would need to see how you would run the backplanes in parallel and......

It's not that I'm not enthused, I think one of us should bridge a PL and then test the hell out of it. I haven't built a bridgeable amp, I own one, the Carver PT 2400, but it's wounded. It's a monster that puts out a TESTED 838 per side into 8 and 3,000 at 4 bridged. But it's your basic PA amp that sounds like a PA amp, not as clean and pure as what we are used to.

I've read a lot on bridging amps, but have only heard one. I think as a sub amp, bridging is a good economical way to get lots of power. There may be good sounding bridgeable amps out there, and my exposure is limited, so, who knows.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
So Lee with 120 volt rails on the dual 500 gives about 65 volts at the emitter output. If we bridge that may double the output to 130 volts theoretical max. The mj21195/96 is tasted 250v max at emitter
And 400 v on the base and collector. Have I missed something? I am not expecting 200 plus on th output.

Joe will have to explain this one Glen, he did to me a couple times and the 250 figure was gospel, something about the push/pull config of complementary amps, or something like that...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it

It's not that I'm not enthused, I think one of us should bridge a PL and then test the hell out of it. I haven't built a bridgeable amp, I own one, the Carver PT 2400, but it's wounded. It's a monster that puts out a TESTED 838 per side into 8 and 3,000 at 4 bridged. But it's your basic PA amp that sounds like a PA amp, not as clean and pure as what we are used to.

I've read a lot on bridging amps, but have only heard one. I think as a sub amp, bridging is a good economical way to get lots of power. There may be good sounding bridgeable amps out there, and my exposure is limited, so, who knows.
I'm interested too in what Joe has to say. I got the PS figured out pretty much but would like to hear more about paralleling the backplanes. I have time to finger the build out BEFORE I do something too crazy and have to fetch the fire extinguisher.............. I'm up for a different project for sure, just want to make sure it's well thought out or if it's not advisable, I need to know that too.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Not sure I follow what you are saying Glenn. The output (emitter) at clip is at most 5 volts away from the rail voltage so if the rails are plus and minus 125 the resulting collector -emitter voltage is 245V which is dangerously close the the absolute max 250V Vce rating.