It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Here is a software I have used a few time to locate and update your drivers. It is a free software but it pesters you to upgrade to the pay version, but it still works of you don't. OI have installed i na quite a few computers and updated the drivers and then uninstalled this software later on.

I am not sure if it will help on the Microns but you can check and see.

http://www.iobit.com/driver-booster.php
I tried that, it never got past a blank page that kept churning...don't have a clue.

orange

Tagline
It doesn't matter which computer or mouse, it seems like I get clogged up after a bit and I have been clearing the temps and I even have the latest Spybot on. It works better here than it ever did on XP when I had to revert to 1.62. I have to force the mouse to do stuff.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
It doesn't matter which computer or mouse, it seems like I get clogged up after a bit and I have been clearing the temps and I even have the latest Spybot on. It works better here than it ever did on XP when I had to revert to 1.62. I have to force the mouse to do stuff.

1. What video resolution are you using?

2. Are you sure you have drivers installed for your video card?

3. What does it say when you right click on desktop then left click on screen resoltuin and then left click o nadvanced settings?

Not sure what clogged up means? Explain that a little more

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yep looks like you don't have any graphics card drivers installed. A VGA driver is a generic driver to get you vga resolution. The device manager should name your graphics card or motherboard adaptor and not just say vga adaptor. I have not heard a a video output not being able to display atleast 1280 x 1024.

What is the highest resoltuion that you can get out of the computer?

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
It goes up to 1024x768.

Still, if this is only the software adapter...is that what the unknown device is then?

So, what is the onboard video? What happened to find your device from a list of drivers, like in olden daze?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If it only goes to 1024x768 the either you dont have the grapics drivers installed, or the win 7 installation disc didn't have drivers for that old of motherboard/graphics card.

The best bet would be to install a newer grphics card in the agp slot and then install drivers, short of that I would dowload the xp graphics drivers from the website I posted a few days ago.

Is your computer a Micron client pro 365?

If so then download the win xp drivers from here : I'd dl the newest ones and install them.

http://www.mpcdrivers.com/apps/filelisteb4e.html?ID=9511

The unknown device could very well be your on board graphic card.

I would generate a system restore point before instaloling the drivers though.

The pick your owner drivers is still there under the update drivers option, pick browse my computer then select let me pick drivers.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Windows installs vga drivers so you get video output without device drivers. Sine windows cannot find drivers for your onboard video is simply defaults to the standard vga drivers which will rudementally work with any video card. This is why you see standard vga in you device manager.

Once you get propper drivers your sysatems video should not studder anymore.

orange

Tagline
I had tried that after saving it to the desktop...closed it and tried installing it from the download straight...

It rebooted suddenly a bit after that, rebooted after the splash twice, put it in SAFE MODE the first, then realized I needed to be in safe mode with networking by the second time around and that was when I was running System Restore.

I may have succeeded in getting rid of the driver...I will see.

definitely the brown acid

orange

Tagline
Rebooted in fullscreen during a Joan Jett video.

Back on the Dell and need to sleep.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Hopefully you go rid of the driver as it must not be compatible with win 7.

What type of video slots do you have on that motherboard? AGP?

I have a few agp cards laying around, but I don't think they are compatible with win 7, infact I don't think any agp card will be 100% compatible with win 7. A person may get them to work, but you would lose win 7 aero abailty and maybe a few other options.

The problem is without video drivers installed your video will lack acceleration and will not be smooth and be limited to 1024x768. It will not make for the best experience by any means.

orange

Tagline
No, it's PCIe or something, not AGP. The GeForce 7800 GTX has the same edge, I pulled it and compared.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
If it is pci-e I have a geforce 6600 laying around I can send you.

I would install the geforce 66000 and reboot with you monitor on the 6600 card and the let win 7 find the card and install the drivers for it. Win 7 keeps a driver database on your install drive so it will most likely have drivers for it. After that you can go to the ms update site and update drivers if there is anything newer.

Not entirely sure it will work, but definitely worth a try. It might not work, because in addition to the win 7drivers for the card which are available, win 7 needs win 7 pci-e drivers for the motherboard. That is why upgrading an xp board to win 7 is not always advisable.

I'll send you the 6600 card this weekend.