It's getting late...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I can try the ATi card or the GeForce and I can go look some more in BIOS.

I have to step out for a little bit first though.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I can try the ATi card or the GeForce and I can go look some more in BIOS.

I have to step out for a little bit first though.
Remember The geforce 7800 of course will need supplemental power to it. The 6600 does not need any supplemental power to it though.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I have to go spend a ton on car repairs. :shock:
Boooo

After getting my truck back from the shop a few weeks ago for some more warranty work on the transmission, my brake light on the dash came on. Havent driven it in a few weeks. Our Escape is also leaking fluid from the rear diff and needs an oil change. I share your pain John.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Lol got the car back runs like a charm. $500 plus buck for a leaking bell gasket on the intake that allows the intake to bedn and absorb some play, but also made it leak and leaned out all cylinders.

orange

Tagline
I went and I just had a can of pork and beans and a chocolate chip cookie for a meal.

I don'r have a 6600...I have a ATi Radeon 9250 PCI and am not even sure it works.

I DID have a hard time on the startup with this DELL and the 15"...got funky looking and I restarted without think if I should try to turn the monitor off and on first. Whatever happened resolved.

Another Lost Weekend.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I don'r have a 6600...I have a ATi Radeon 9250 PCI and am not even sure it works.

Another Lost Weekend.
The 6600 is the one I offered to send to you. It does not need any other power except what is provided in the slot it sits in. You will need a four pin molex for the fan though as I had to replace the fan and it was a fortune for a tiny fan so I mounted a small cpu fan on it.

As far as the weekend goes what is lost about it? it just started.

orange

Tagline
I have another theory...

The PSU is unstable. I need another power supply in there and the Compaq Evo's was only 220W max vs. ~300 on the MPC.

The 6600 would be welcome and I'm sorry if I didn't understand originally.

orange

Tagline
Where do I put my DVM probes to see if the PSU isn't kosher?

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Where do I put my DVM probes to see if the PSU isn't kosher?
Probably the easiest way is to install the app below.

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.25-setup.exe

The old fashioned way is to Disconnect the psu from the computer completely, then short out pins 13 and 14 the black and green wires. I use a paper clip to accomplish this, be careful though. Then after you have secured the shorting device, plug in the psu. That will switch the psu on.

You can then measure the voltages between the different color wires in the below diagram. hook you black probe up to one of the black wires and red probe to the various collred wires one at a time an compare your voltages to those indicated in the diagram.

Note that plus or minus 5% is tolerable. Meaning your 12 volt rail can vary from .6 volts anywhere from 11.4 to 12.6 volts. It should be close to 12, but I wouldn't worry if it is 11.9 or 12.1 etc.

Above all be careful.

Last edited:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have another theory...

The PSU is unstable. I need another power supply in there and the Compaq Evo's was only 220W max vs. ~300 on the MPC.

The 6600 would be welcome and I'm sorry if I didn't understand originally.
I wouldn't put the 7800 in the situation as it can draw 128 watts at idle and 244 under full load. That is why I put the 480 watt supply in the Asus computer you have.

The 220 should be ok for the motherboard an a hard drive.

Lastly your issues with the computer sound more like driver issues the power supply issues, but it doesn't hurt to ceck the voltages. Luckily all my motherboards measure voltages in th bios so I can check the voltages with the compter running.

I'll have a look I think there is some software that will give you a few voltage readings, install app below and run it to see wqhere your voltages are. Of course voltage without current doesn't mean your supply is good either, but if the voltages ae correct, probably safe to assume the current is there. If it wasn't you have a lot more problems.

http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.25-setup.exe

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I have a friend who has a tester coming over tomorrow for that. I'm going to karaoke tonight.

Too hot in here with no women.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have a tester too, but it only has leds. If they all light up all the voltages are within range. I like to see the voltages when the computer is actually running though.

Have fun at karaoke.

orange

Tagline
You help Lee and Jani a bit, I'll wing it this weekend and report if something happens.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I had a bread box dropped on my front door step today and I m trying to get it ready for June 26th. It is looking good so far. :glasses8:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Speaking of that, the auditon 700 was supposed to go to you next. I need your address.....

orange

Tagline
I'm going to have to pass. There's no way to even get a taste of what it does and remain in a subsidized rental nor do I have anything really capable of handling it in speakers. And I'm buried in too much right now to get to it.