It's getting late...

frhodes

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Computer cleaning

My fans were getting too noisy. (There are 11) Also installed a new ssd.
The first time cleaning the upper fan (hard to get at) and cleaning the
power supply fan. Hated breaking the warranty seal on the power supply
but it is past warranty. 10 hours later back together and working perfectly.

001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Some interesting news...

First of all I got an update notification on my taskbar, which apparently is matched by updates on the Microsoft Update site, for the April 2014 Malicious Software Removal Tool and two hotfixes...this after we heard support ended yesterday.

Secondly I now have a floppy drive powered and no error 40 in BIOS but get an I/O error of an unknown type (to me) after the Dell churns a while. Windows on the dualcore was still wanting to format the floppy the last time I checked it and it couldn't even complete a format.

I haven't installed any of the updates yet, waiting to see if this is real or the page has been spoofed.

orange

Tagline
I can finally run You Tube etc at full screen without a problem and even in the background it hardly hiccups when I'm typing or have more than one intensive page up simultaneously...I'm only running an dual core AMD Athlon X2 3800+ @2.02 GHz on a horribly slow DSL connection (according to the rest of you when you were running all those speed tests)...

Since I don't care about streaming Netflix in HD or dominating the gamer world, I think I have a hot rod too.

orange

Tagline
Okay...I found out that the hotfixes are the final set that were going to be released this week and Microsoft just took their time about it.

orange

Tagline
And here I am at 5:30 AM on a Friday, replacing the Dell's PSU after working on the floppy swap and swapping the IDE cables...it never powered when I got it back together and tried to switch it on. We'll see in about a half hour. I'll try and get it running online again and updated fully after that.

orange

Tagline
Well, I switched the Primary IDE cable over to the secondary and now it still says I need an 80-pin/wire cable but I still see the ROM drives, only the Primary master (C:) and stops there without getting to the floppy.

I just about wish I could drink whiskey. My errors are a small trial. Oh nevermind, I'm back in there a few more minutes.

orange

Tagline
Well, I have two HDDs and right now I got the no NTLDR error...

I need to go into BIOS and find the boot order, so I'm there. BINGO...boot order needed to be restored.

Online and updating AVG, finishing Windows updates. I'll find that cable sooner or later and now I want to learn how to do parallel cable transfers.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Glad you got it working.

Probably easier to transfer to the USB HD or network the two computers together with Cat 6 cable.

orange

Tagline
I have no idea what Cat SIX is, ethernet uses Cat FIVE. I don't know how to do ethernet or USB port to port transfer at this point either.

I'm updated now. My friend will be over tomorrow and tackle the floppies...it sits there asking for a disk at least, no error 40.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Updated network cabling is Cat 6. Cat 5 or Cat 6 would work. They make a USB to usb cable that requires software to transfer files. You cannot just use an ordinary usb cable it has a special electrical interface in it. An External usb drive is probably your best bet.

orange

Tagline
I know about the USB cable thing. Want to try a parallel (to serial) transfer at some point. Not doing it right now.

orange

Tagline
A box of goodies arrived less than half an hour ago!

Computer Goodies...you Cheech y Chong vatos can relax :smokin:

orange

Tagline
I think I'll be having some Nice Dreams instead!