WOPL coming to market

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Hey guys, I do believe I just bought a core 700 Series II for WOPL'ing. Is anybody interested in a Fresh bad ass WOPL? it will travel to the new owner with a Lifetime Warranty. I had a couple inquiries for an amp but I give our members here at Phoenix first dibs. PM me if you are interested and price will depend on what is requested ....... i.e., new chassis, new faceplate etc etc etc Paint/body work is extra

Here is what is included:
New Back Planes with Sil Pads and New Outputs
New Fuse Holders, new Speaker Jacks, New RCA input jacks
New Bridge Rectifier, New Bulk Caps, New White Oak Control Board (Dual Mono is extra)
New Mil-spec Wiring, new hardware, New Handles (700B), New Custom WOPL insert (700B)
New power Switch, New Light Board (700B),
AND MUCH MORE.

Turn around time is about 2 weeks. Faster for the 700 Series II

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just doing a refresher of what it costs to put together a WOPL. The numbers I have here are rounded out and you may pay more, or you may pay less but it is within a few dollars including shipping

Backplane Kit $150
Output Tranny's/sil pads $200
Control Board Kit $140
Bulk Caps $75
DCP $100
Misc (Br. Rect, fuse holders, RCA's, Spkr Jacks etc $70
wire $25
Power switches/other switches $40
Total $800 plus or minus a few dollars

Now, if you have a 700B, you will need a new light board (about $65)
Some nice to have extras would include Display boards for the 700 Series II $135
a new chassis $125
Face Plates....
wiring kits...
connectors for ease of assembly....

The sky is the limit
(don't forget you need a core amp ($400-$650)...

Now you can see that to put together a WOPL would cost nearly a $1000 IN PARTS BUT YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW AMPLIFIER AND TO GET INTO AN AMP OF THIS QUALITY/POWER, that's CHEAP. Throw in 40-80 hours of labor, and some extras like feet, cooling fan system, paint and body if needed on the transformer, new volume pots, handles, hardware etc etc etc and you'll quickly approach or exceed 2 grand. But for an amp that will keep pace with or blow out of the water, an amp that may cost in excess of 5-10 grand, the WOPL is an AWESOME choice. pretty much a no brainer.

This is just an exercise and is not meant to give you a quote or anything else. It just gives US an idea as to what it costs to put together a killer amp. Me and Lee have been kicking around what it costs to build one and this is just a pile of data to see how close we got. Notice the price of Trumps output transistors... I put together amps not long ago where it cost a little over $2.00 per transistor, now it's like 5-7 dollars each now..... There is 24 on the back of each amp so.....

Whit Oak Audio Design has kept prices low enough for the average dude to put together a killer amp IF you have the aptitude to build one. Any Fudge-Ups (and not everybody can pull it off), and the repairs can skyrocket. Maybe the Lifetime Warranty appeals to you, maybe it doesn't matter but it can drive you booogie getting it right. When you look at it, labor at 50 hours pushes the price from $1000 in parts to nearing $2000 (but that's $20/hour and that's CHEAP. Any other shop COULD charge $35-50 or more an hour and that would be $1750-$2500 Just in labor so that gives you a little perspective in building an amp. Like I said, Just info to chew on.... This is not indicative of what anybody on this site can or cannot build an amp for. Just numbers....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just stripped the 700B and took it down to the powder coater. The new owner chose Bentley Blue which is a Chrome Powder base coat and the Blue as a translucent over the top. I still prefer the Italian Racing Red that I did the 4 Clair Amps in but the customer will be having me do some amps in all the same blue. They should pop for sure. I don't mind being different. I'm "Different" for sure. The black chassis' ARE kind of boring. Everybody has one..... Having to go through the baking process twice drives up the cost a bit. Near $250 for the chassis and covers. That includes blasting, base coat, top coat and a bake cycle for both coats. Could have saved by going with the single stage...... But the color is not as "Rich" looking. basically the same look as doing single stage paint or base coat clear coat. You can see the difference.

The 700 Series II will be here Tuesday. It's will be WOPL'd soon. And up for sale. I have gathered pretty much all the parts for THAT build too.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Damn, I can't believe the other 2 were just sitting there. A half hour sooner, I would have got all 3. I couldn't afford them, but at that price, I couldn't afford NOT to get them considering the last core amp I got was $500.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Damn, I can't believe the other 2 were just sitting there. A half hour sooner, I would have got all 3. I couldn't afford them, but at that price, I couldn't afford NOT to get them considering the last core amp I got was $500.
I couldn't let you have all three WOPL Sniffer, #1 is mine thanks, but you have plenty to work on for awhile anyway. Have a good one. Rob

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I couldn't let you have all three WOPL Sniffer, #1 is mine thanks, but you have plenty to work on for awhile anyway. Have a good one. Rob
A half dozen would last me about 3 weeks. 4 tops...... I don't have the customers right now though.... Not too long ago, I built 6 at once. :)