Who has Decks and What Kind

Nick Danger

Veteran and General Yakker
My CT-F1250 up and running again after a couple of hours. Definitely, this motor rebuild is not for the faint heart. I concluded that it's better to pay the $50.00 to the guy of Utah. Anyway, I did it and here she is singing again!
Congrats on the rebuild. I have a few CTF 900's and have tried the motor rebuilds a couple of times but without any success.:sad2: I am going to send mine to our friend in Utah and hope he can save my decks. Sending the first one on Monday and will be keeping my toes and fingers crossed. $50 seems fair especially if he offers 2 year warranty on the repair.

Last edited:

Nick Danger

Nick: It's my first born. How can I get rid of my first born! It sounds like you might be making progress on your pod of Pioneer CT-F900s. Are you going to see how the first motor rebuild goes, then farm out the others to your contact in Utah?

Nando.
Nando, Neither of my attempts at a rebuild held. I can only get 7.5 volts during playback for a reading(still shuts off periodically) on one and a big, fat goose egg for the second. One reading zero is going to be sent to Tom for a rebuild first.

I still have one CTF 900 that runs but has some sort of ghetto repair: there is what looks to be a 10 ohm resistor in between one of the motor leads and the standoff post. I get a reading of 8.5 volts between the motor and resistor and only 6.9 volts between resistor and standoff post. The issue with that deck aside from repair is somebody fiddled with the playback and recording pots. Levels are all over the place with this one. A little sloppy in reverse as well.

My last hope is the most recent 900(black control plate) transport motor reads over 9 volt and I am hoping belts/ idler will get this one up and running. I will try and get that done this week along with the belts on the Nak RX 202 as both belt kits showed up this week.

I sure hope Tom can save my stash of pretty, shiny, chunky goodness.

Miracle Mile

After some searching we bought this one for a friend today and paid €4,- for it........

The deck looks and works like new, it only needed some cleaning and demagging which I did for him today.
The display of the auto calibration function is very nice!

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Early 90s ish are something else, aren't they?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
After some searching we bought this one for a friend today and paid €4,- for it........

The deck looks and works like new, it only needed some cleaning and demagging which I did for him today.
The display of the auto calibration function is very nice!
Miles: You have a knack for picking up choice decks for minimal investment. I doubt I could do as well as you did for such a deal. Nice of you to give your friend's new deck a going-through. Has he got any tapes to play? Or, did you help him with that, too?

Nando.

Tagline
---
Congrats on the rebuild. I have a few CTF 900's and have tried the motor rebuilds a couple of times but without any succes.:sad2: I am going to send mine to our friend in Utah and hope he can save my decks. Sending the first one on Monday and will be keeping my toes and fingers crossed. $50 seems fair especially if he offers 2 year warranty on the repair.
That's right. With all honesty: I don't recommend going trough this ordeal yourself, especially when you can fix it with $50.00 + warranty! :lichmalignus:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Here's an old picture of my Pioneer CT-F1250 in my old system. Also featured are the BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer and my Tascam DA-30 DAT deck, which I still all own. Not many DAT owners out there?

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Do you have more pics of older setup's Nando? I'd be interested to see some if you do. I wish I had some older pictures of my system from back in the early days, or even from back when my old man was running it. My mom might have some tucked away in a box somehwhere... one of these days ill have to go through it.

Nick Danger

Current lineup of decks:

Pioneer RT 1020L(2)
Pioneer CT F900(4)
Pioneer CT WM70R

JVC TD V531
JVC TD V661
JVC TD V662

Nakamichi RX 202(2)

Sony MDS JB930

My Onkyo TA 2026 is going to a friend later today as his current deck is in need of some belts.

Miracle Mile

Miles: You have a knack for picking up choice decks for minimal investment. I doubt I could do as well as you did for such a deal. Nice of you to give your friend's new deck a going-through. Has he got any tapes to play? Or, did you help him with that, too?

Nando.
Some people are saying I've got the right nose to pick up things at the right moment for the right price....

I've also picked up a few of those lovely storage boxes to keep my received mixtapes in:

€0,10 each......

Tagline
---
Here's an old picture of my Pioneer CT-F1250 in my old system. Also featured are the BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer and my Tascam DA-30 DAT deck, which I still all own. Not many DAT owners out there?

Nando.
I do have the same Tascam DA 30, plus my old trusted Panasonic 3700 from the mastering years plus the Sony ES. The Tascam is not working,though.:kermit:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Do you have more pics of older setup's Nando? I'd be interested to see some if you do. I wish I had some older pictures of my system from back in the early days, or even from back when my old man was running it. My mom might have some tucked away in a box somehwhere... one of these days ill have to go through it.
Yes, I have older pictures, Ben. I"ll see what I can post, later. They aren't super old by any means. Maybe from about less than 10 years ago.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Some people are saying I've got the right nose to pick up things at the right moment for the right price....

I've also picked up a few of those lovely storage boxes to keep my received mixtapes in:

€0,10 each......
Nice, Miles. No use in having a lot of stray cassettes without a proper storage for them. I see you have some classic titles in your cassette caddy.

Nando.

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Let's all spend a minute's silence in respect of the invention of the digital camera,
whereas these glorious pics offered in all these previous posts could not have
otherwise been possible.

Keep 'em coming guys... :bounce:

Tagline
---
Nando, do you use the BBE much?
Do you pre-process your cassette recordings with it, or do you just use it post-recording on playback?
I used to have the Aural Exciter and when used with caution, results were good. Beheringer also came out with a good one that also had a bass tool. Nice for old recordings as long as you don't "over-use" it!

pennysdad

Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
I used to have the Aural Exciter and when used with caution, results were good. Beheringer also came out with a good one that also had a bass tool. Nice for old recordings as long as you don't "over-use" it!
Yes I use to use an Aphex Aural Exciter which I still have, and would use, if I had a working deck... :(
Most of my tapes are live recordings straight off the mixer outputs of gigs I've done, and sometimes they can use a little bit of extra 'help'.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Nando, do you use the BBE much?
Do you pre-process your cassette recordings with it, or do you just use it post-recording on playback?
Both the BBE Sonic Maximizer and my dbx 3BX are patched into the dbx route selector for just that purpose. On a recent recording burnt to CD-R form the mixing board of a live concert I needed to use both processors to dub the the CD-R onto a cassette mix tape recording I did for Derek. Without the processors, it just didn't have enough dynamics to satisfy my ear. I sometimes use the Pioneer SG-9500 equalizer to help the sound, too. You would be surprised how many of the current CDs are in need of the dbx 3BX. I'm not too impressed with many of the CDs I have been buying of current bands I am into. Really poor sound engineering!

Nando.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Either the BBE or the Aphex would be quite welcome here...I can't afford a 3BX just yet.

I found my camera battery charger and I can take new pix!

Today I got another Pioneer CT-W770R and an Onkyo TA-2022 from ke4mcl!

I have to put the door back in on the Rotel deck he sent and I've done well in the cassette deck and tape dept. this last month...

I have a TA-2044 with a cut/patched cord as well and await my Sanyo M9860 boombox and TA-2050 (? I forgot it's been a while) and the veneer is now on it's way...time to learn a new skill!

OT but groovy-My Yamaha CA-1000 is in the mail! Happy birth month to me!

Elite-ist

Staff member
Here's an early picture, Ben. I still have all the same components, with the exception of the Pioneer CLD-1090, which I sold to Scott (braxus) for $20.

Clockwise from left to right: Pioneer HPM-100 speakers, AKG K-240 headphones, Pioneer SX-D7000 receiver, SAE 5000 Impulse Noise reduction Sytem, Pioneer PL-7 turntable with NOS Yamaha MC-7 moving coil cartridge, CLD-1090 Laserdisc/CD player, Pioneer CT-F1250 cassette deck, BBE 882i Sonic Maximizer, Tascam DA-30 DAT recorder.

Nando.